X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siddhe
    started a topic Character Traits System Proposal

Character Traits System Proposal

After significant back and forth, we're ready to share the updated traits system framework proposal. Your constructive feedback is welcome and encouraged. Once players have had time to share their feedback, and staff has had the opportunity to review it and incorporate where appropriate, we'll be back with a more detailed version of the framework, including traits.
    1. Traits themselves will get attention. The under-utilized traits will get particular attention to make them more interesting/viable. New traits will be added.
    2. National trait offerings will be expanded. They will not be stat-related, and as they will have no point value, everyone can select one (possibly more) for free.
    3. The amount of traits you can have at once will be increased. As an example, you may be able to select up to four positives, a neutral, and up to four negatives (depending on overall point value).
    4. Everyone will receive a free, one-time use of @new-traits. This will be optional.
    5. You will be able to re-trait a character at any time, through RP- or StP-spend. These costs will scale depending on the number of times used. As an example your first paid @new-traits use might be 1k RPs, then 3k RPs, etc. Final numbers TBD.

• Kered
    replied
    Forester-
    Warden of the woods - increased chance to find those hidden while outdoors
    Guardian - increased chance to hit while outdoors /decreased chance to hit things underground
    Huntsmaster - increased chance to capture things in snares/or chance to save items when dismantling snares (both are great ideas)

Leave a comment:

• Ozymandius
    replied
    I love Ghuan and El's ideas. I just wanted to voice my support. The profession traits would make the game world so much more vibrant, versatile and diverse. Essentially getting rid of 'free' traits lets you play whomever you want. This is great stuff and I cannot wait to see where it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Ariden
    replied
    That is awesome Ghuan!

Leave a comment:

• Lantraste
    replied
    Is there a plan to let us re-pick nationality when we reset traits? Doesn't seem like a stretch to me considering the situation and history of only letting a choice few get around bad traits. It's always been something "too fundamental to a character to change" so if we're letting that go, why not let us swap nationality?

And I'm a huge fan of doing away with nation bonus in favor of a profession system or just stripping the whole national bonus system entirely, throwing those into traits anyone can pick and allowing 4 traits instead of 3. This would negate the desire to swap nationality.

Leave a comment:

• TEC_Ghuan
    replied
    This is what I had in mind when I was speaking about professions taking over National Traits potentially:

Gladiator:
    -Disciplined Mind: Slight bonus to hit.
    -Unpredictability: Slight bonus to dodging.
    -Showmanship: General bonus to all combat actions when fighting in the arena.

Craftsman:
    -Natural Builder: Bonus to shelter-building and crafting actions in general.
    -Metal Affinity: Bonus to crafting and mining skills related to metal and metal ores.
    -Meticulous: Slight bonus to quality of crafted goods.

Trader:
    -Smooth Tongue: Bonus to charm and appearance when dealing with NPCs.
    -Mentor: Monetary reduction of training costs by 15% when learning from NPCs.
    -Crafty: Slight increase of crafted goods value when selling to NPCs.

Baker:
    -Heat Tolerance: No fatigue loss increase upon overheating due to clothing worn.
    -Burner: Character suffers 30% less damage from burns.
    -Early Bird: Character recovers fatigue at an increased rate while asleep.

Thief:
    -Anonymity: Bonus to hiding and crowd-blending actions.
    -Swift Runner: Law enforcement NPCs will more quickly abandon pursuit.
    -Deft Hands: General Bonus to Pickpocketing actions. Better results upon successful actions.

Butcher:
    -Heightened Resistance: Immunity to nausea and general disease resistance.
    -Bloodthirst: Bonus to your next combat action when you cause your opponent to bleed.
    -Gory Hands: General bonus to skinning quality.

Medic:
    -Keen Eye: Upon tending a patient, you will automatically be warned of any bleeders or broken bones.
    -Caretaker: Bonus to wound recovery time when tending a patient's wounds.
    -Loveable: Character receives a large bonus when purchasing items of less than 250 denars worth from NPC shops. Reputation increases quicker with the Temple.

Soldier:
    -Blade Mastery: Higher rate of critical hits with bladed weapons.
    -Bludgeon Mastery: Higher rate of critical hits with blunt weapons.
    -Toughened: Slight increase in HP recovery when you have a bleeding wound.

As you can see, the National Traits have been tied to a profession (except Citizenship). As per Siddhe's original post, they seemed interested in giving 1 or more traits for us to be given by the National Traits. You could be given the choice of taking two traits out of a list like the above from different professions or even work on them and create a package of some sort that a character would start with, but I feel like the more choices we have, the more we can customize our characters the way we see fit both for Role-Play and mechanical benefits. I had other potential professions and traits I was working on, but this should suffice for now just to have an example. Take one trait from Soldier and take another from Butcher. Or take one from Trader and another one from Medic. You would have a max of 2 you could choose.

Think of it this way:

"What profession does your character aspire to become, or what would prove of interest to your character? What profession is he most suited for? What innate abilities does your character have?"

This would still be in-line with "innate abilities" just like that National Traits, but they wouldn't be locked directly to the Nation you pick. It would allow for better role-play options since you wouldn't be stuck to a single Nation being perceived as the "best" at something and having to choose that one.

Leave a comment:

• Kuini
    replied
    So, I dunno about all this technical mumbo jumbo everybody's spouting and..quite frankly... don't care. Who cares if you min-max your character? The game's about RP, or is supposed to be. So as long as I'm not forced to re-roll my characters.. I say go for it. I actually have no problem whatsoever with my characters' stats and what I chose despite not knowing what I was doing at the time. Not sure why so many people care so much about it, to be perfectly honest. I mean... It's just a game. It's supposed to be fun, not about stats. Yeah, you probably disagree with me. We each have our opinions. This one's mine.

Leave a comment:

• Ariden
    replied
    I love the idea of Profession traits instead of Nationality traits Ghuan. Frankly it makes more sense that if you grew up as a (fill in the blank) that you would be more inclined to have additional skill in that department. For instance if you were a son/daughter of a blacksmith it would make sense to have metal affinity.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Iridine national trait - under siege: years of constant warfare have lead citizens to increased endurance + %

Leave a comment:

• TEC_Ghuan
    replied
    One thing that I feel has been left out so far in these discussions is the National Traits which were at the center of the issues brought forward in the other thread.

How does everyone feel about them? Should they remain? I feel that in terms of role-play and diversity, National Traits AND stats being directly tied to your nation in the character generator severely limit our characters' diversity. For years we have had way too many Altenes, Cinerans and Parcines because they were the optimal nations to choose - not only because of the National Traits but also because of the National stats.

In an effort to encourage diversity and role-play, should National Traits be axed in favor of Profession related traits? I've brought it up in my original post in this thread and I still feel that it would be better overall. Not only would it allow us to customize our characters more efficiently toward our chosen professions/roles within the game, but it would also us to choose the Nation that we wish to RP as. If National Traits continue being exclusive to particular Nations, we will continue choosing our Nations based on the traits we want and not what we want to role-play. I'm not going to pretend that's not the case as I've made plenty of Cinerans myself just for the stats and the Blade Mastery offering. Sure, I've always RP'ed it out, but mechanically speaking it was the -only- choice that made sense to me. I know of quite a few people who have been penalized for choosing different nations because they wished to play other nations and RP them out.

What do you all think about this?

Leave a comment:

• Pranzor
    replied
    Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post

I don't mean to be a pest, but shouldn't that read:
    0-60 abysmal
    61-70 very poor
    71-80 poor
    81-90 below average
    91-100 slightly below average

Thanks for sharing!
    I fixed the original post. The numbers were correct but "below average" was inadvertently omitted.

Leave a comment:

• TEC_Ghuan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pranzor View Post
    I am going to take out the guess work as far as the descriptive words for attributes goes.

< 50 abysmal

50-60 very poor

61-70 poor

I don't mean to be a pest, but shouldn't that read:
    0-60 abysmal
    61-70 very poor
    71-80 poor
    81-90 below average

Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Dark997895
    replied
    I am loving this discussion and the fact we are even having it.

Leave a comment:

• Elowynn
    replied
    Well, then. Awesome.

> 250 Pranzor

Leave a comment:

• Pranzor
    replied
    I am going to take out the guess work as far as the descriptive words for attributes goes.

< 50 abysmal
    50-60 very poor
    61-70 poor
    71-90 below average
    101-110 average
    111-120 slightly above average
    121-130 above average
    131-140 fairly good
    141-150 good
    151-165 very good
    166-180 great
    181-190 exceptional
    191-200 outstanding
    201-210 remarkable
    211-220 extraordinary
    221-230 phenomenal
    231-240 incredible
    241-250 inhuman
    > 250 superhuman
    Last edited by Pranzor; 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM. Reason: I missed "below average".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X