Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Release: The Officium de Humanitas

The Officium de Humanitas
    • This is a new tent structure whose entrance is just west of The Stone Toga Inn.
    • The Officium de Humanitas (hereafter referred to by me as 'Od'H) offers a host of 'lowbie' and 'newbie' gear, as well as commonly requested mundane and consumable items.
    • Items on offer include basic weapons, basic non-com training items, basic armor, consumables like torches, oil flasks, food rations, and more.
    • The items on offer are dirt cheap, but the shops are set up like other 'Reputation Shops', where you unlock stock options with more reputation.
    • Reputation is gained via several means. Kill newbie-friendly critters and turn in the new gastrolith stones in their stomachs, do community work like net mending, flour milling, delivering crates, and similar tasks, turn in meat you've skinned or fish you've caught, or turn in items you have crafted yourself.
    • The turn-in person is a priest in the Revealing Light sect, so he'll know if it wasn't you that caught that fish or whittled that figurine, and won't accept anything from you that was caught, skinned, mined, or crafted by someone else.
    • Combat and Non-Combat trainers are available that cost no money whatsoever - they train on the credit you earn with your good reputation at the OhD.
    • The area is restricted to people under 200 total ranks, as the items here truly are dirt cheap and we can't allow highly-skilled people to wreck the economy by farming fluvitar pups by one-shotting them and turning in their stones for dirt cheap loricas to sell second-hand and the like.
    • However, but Aux and Constables have access to the area itself (if not the services within) in order to do their respective jobs.

Other (Related) Newbie Friendly Changes
    • New characters selecting the Hunting skill now gain Pole Fishing as a starting skill (on top of Basic Skinning and Deadfall Snares).
    • New characters now start with 5 ranks in the basics of their Primary skill (10 if they choose the same skill twice).
    • "The Alleys" are now home to the younger generation of thugs and brutes, as the old ones have wised up and keep to the coastal alleys now. The young ones are not as skilled, but just as cocky!
    • All versions of thugs and brutes had their loot tweaked to now actually be various amounts of profitable and not a waste of time and energy.
    • All versions of thugs and brutes (as well as RV Footpads) have been adjusted so they only try to run away when they're literally on death's door.
    • "Newbie Critters" like those found on the island have been adjusted. The rank limit where they'd begin to die in one shot has been raised by 60%
    • The 'Help' command now provides a link to the UnOfficial Wiki at the bottom of every page (or on your game client screen if you're using a game client where Help Files are given via pop-ups). There is a disclaimer that the wiki is not -game- supported, but instead provided and maintained entirely by dedicated players.
    • You'll notice most 'newbie-friendly' and 'lowbie-friendly' critters will have small pebbles in their stomachs that are worth very little to gem buyers. These can be turned into the Officium de Humanitas for credit towards their services. A full list of what can be turned in for credit (and what else you can do for credit) is posted in the registry office inside the tent in question behind Priest Neathius.
    • The discounted Ludus Trainer now teaches to rank 60/40 in his limited selection as well instead of rank 25/10 as he used to.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Interesting, Tale, great effort. I hope this does indeed make the newbie experience a bit more palatable.

I would suggest that the rank limitation be increased substantially. 200 ranks is extremely small - that's 90/90 reflexes to make roundtimes not so horrid, and then a little bit of a rotation. Not much more than what can be achieved on the island. I would suggest this vendor be accessible throughout the duration of Ludus training.

An extremely reoccurring question in the discord is, "where do I hunt after the Ludus?" I have not yet explored this new support for Newbies, but does it help with that? Are the Alleys now scaled and incentivized for 500-1500 ranks combat?

I was hoping the Alleys would see a little bit more of a boost in "interestingness" and "accessibility" to 500-1500 ranked characters. It is a centralized location that used to be major hub for casual, semi-profitable evening hang-outs. Moreso than cheap/free stuff, the #1 most valuable thing that can be given to newbies is personal time and attention. That's what made many, many of us fall in love with the game. Making a place like the Alleys profitable for low ranked players and not profitable for higher ranked players but still decently useful to hang out in = would be thumbs up towards making the Alleys a mutual hangout spot again.

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
      Interesting, Tale, great effort. I hope this does indeed make the newbie experience a bit more palatable.

I would suggest that the rank limitation be increased substantially. 200 ranks is extremely small - that's 90/90 reflexes to make roundtimes not so horrid, and then a little bit of a rotation. Not much more than what can be achieved on the island. I would suggest this vendor be accessible throughout the duration of Ludus training.

An extremely reoccurring question in the discord is, "where do I hunt after the Ludus?" I have not yet explored this new support for Newbies, but does it help with that? Are the Alleys now scaled and incentivized for 500-1500 ranks combat?

I was hoping the Alleys would see a little bit more of a boost in "interestingness" and "accessibility" to 500-1500 ranked characters. It is a centralized location that used to be major hub for casual, semi-profitable evening hang-outs. Moreso than cheap/free stuff, the #1 most valuable thing that can be given to newbies is personal time and attention. That's what made many, many of us fall in love with the game. Making a place like the Alleys profitable for low ranked players and not profitable for higher ranked players but still decently useful to hang out in = would be thumbs up towards making the Alleys a mutual hangout spot again.
      Interesting points. Let me address them as best I can at the moment.

The ranks are not excessive, no. However this is because the main purpose of this area is not to mainstream the training experience. It's to get newbies familiar with various things. Looting (gastrolith stones and young thug rings), having something useful to do with crafting practice results, listing out all the unskilled labor jobs (that make them profit and now give them credit with the OdH), as well as being a resource & introduction aid for the Aux to use to help in their purpose, and to have a genuine 'I'm accomplishing things!' feeling when you just start the game. Also, the trainers only teach to rank 20, so blowing their ranks on 90/90 reflexes wouldn't be possible unless they were already knowledgable enough to not need the office in the first place.

There are many projects underway, in development, and slated to begin, and addressing the tiered progression of viable hunting grounds is among those.

Loot for the old thugs and brutes (now restricted to the coastal alleys) has been adjusted. Please test this before making assumptions on their profit margins. Like most incremental changes, this is being monitored and can be further adjusted at need. The coastal alleys are not as convenient as the northern alleys are, but that's why newbies took priority there. The Coastal Alleys is less than a 30 second walk away from the Toga, however, so this shouldn't be considered inconvenient.

The entire purpose of the Auxilii is to 'give newbies personal time and attention' when staff is not readily available at the exact moment it is warranted and/or needed. The northern alleys are still the most accessible lowbie hunting area in the game and nothing prevents people from hanging out with newbies there to show them the ropes. That's up to other players to do, or not. All we can do it make it as easy as mechanically possible to help facilitate that ability for Aux or for the general PB. You could even farm said thugs/brutes to pass off their rings to newbies to help them get started - though that devalues their 'I'm accomplishing something!' experience when done too liberally.

This area is not meant to speed-train you or be a bulky way to make all characters poor versions of vet-chars. Primarily, it is meant to be a learning tool.

Game Master Tale
      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

New Reputation Trainers
        • Some of you may have noticed the new trainers were able to teach to ranks less than 10.
        • Even though the trainer showed they could teach to a rank of less than 10, they could not actually do so.
        • To clear confusion, reputation trainers have been adjusted so that the minimum rank they will teach is 10.
        • You must gain enough reputation for the reputation trainer to start teaching at the minimum rank.
        Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Comment

The young thugs and brutes are great, but I do have one problem with it. I spent an entire fatigue bar there and it was really fun at the start until someone who was vastly overskilled for the area showed up (someone with 2-3k TCR or more). Once that person got there the thugs (I didn't get to fight a brute) became very hard to hit. I had no problem dodging them still, but my one attack at rank 100/100 had a success of 39 with pretty decent offensive stats (equivalent to stat skills) in a normal stance.

I would definitely recommend taking a look at the mechanics that make them more skilled based on those who are in the area because it defeats the purpose of the area, in my mind.

Before that person showed up, it was just as fun for me as it was in the old days. I really love this change. I can't really talk about the monetary aspect as I didn't take any notes and since someone else showed up, it made me waste much more fatigue.

Comment

Are you sure you just didn't get a change in light sources by a torch going out or something? Those young thugs/brutes are literally brand new (I made them like 2 weeks ago myself). I didn't give them any sort of mechanic that makes them more skilled in any way, based on those who are in the area or otherwise. They literally only have two blocks of code - they have an attack tactic script I wrote myself that picks and chooses which attacks they make and smack-talk they use, and the basic Attacker AI script that lets them re-equip, stand up, approach, etc. Nothing at all that touches ranks, stats, fight level, etc.

The only things I can think of would be that either lighting changed, they got hurt enough to switch to normal from aggressive, or got knocked into defensive and just never triggered a switch back to an aggressive/normal stance.
            Game Master Tale

Comment

Thank you, GM's, for your efforts. And, please take this question with a grain of salt....

Is this new area/system designed for old players who are starting new characters? Or, will there be an equally substantial effort to attract new players that might find TEC more attractive during the newbie hours? Creating a system for new characters only seems to make sense if you have new players....

Although I'm pleased as punch with any improvements.... this type of improvement seems like a waste of our hard-working GM's valuable time unless somebody (Skotos) has dedicated some time/effort/money to driving new players into the system.

As always, just my two sens - and with respect.
              -E
              [color=dark yellow]Verbal Crushings[/color]
                     &nbsp ;[color=dark yellow]Now Serving #[/color][color=royal blue]7[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
                Are you sure you just didn't get a change in light sources by a torch going out or something? Those young thugs/brutes are literally brand new (I made them like 2 weeks ago myself). I didn't give them any sort of mechanic that makes them more skilled in any way, based on those who are in the area or otherwise. They literally only have two blocks of code - they have an attack tactic script I wrote myself that picks and chooses which attacks they make and smack-talk they use, and the basic Attacker AI script that lets them re-equip, stand up, approach, etc. Nothing at all that touches ranks, stats, fight level, etc.

The only things I can think of would be that either lighting changed, they got hurt enough to switch to normal from aggressive, or got knocked into defensive and just never triggered a switch back to an aggressive/normal stance.
                The lighting was the same throughout the fight. I was using a ceramic lantern that was just recently filled and it didn't run out. They appeared to be in the same stances, too. I don't know how the previous thugs/brutes were set up in terms of rank boost based on who was in the area, but is it possible that the code resides on the hunting ground itself rather than the NPCs? I never checked that stuff out. The thugs that spawned after this one person entered definitely seemed to be much harder to hit and I didn't land any critical hits on them either. I only fought a few because I ran out of fatigue.

One more thing that I noticed is that the AI seemed to behave strangely at times. I'll have to go there again and test them further. The main issue that I saw was a lack of approaching when they enter your room. Both the thugs and the brutes had this issue. After a while the thugs used that dive attack (the one where they get stunned if they fail) and the brutes just stood there and never approached me. The AI was running fine because they kept emoting.

I like the change so that they run out much later than they used to because with my crappy weapon I can now knock them out whereas before I could only do it if I landed a critical hit.

I'll keep you updated on other things I find the next time I go to the alleys.

Thanks!

Comment

Ghuan, I would be happy to help you test this, hit me up IG. Samthia.

Comment

A question I have is if I can still help broker for newbies in this area and actually benefit them. Centus has over 1000 ranks total between non com and combat ranks. Does this mean that if I try to broker for someone in this area, that I will earn them less money than they would get if they did it on their own? Or perhaps the prices newbies will get for these various items is fixed? Just curious.

Comment

Centus trying to corner every market...

Hopefully itís set high enough that they donít need a broker, or that they get broker prices. Itís only for a few ranks so that wouldnít hurt the economy, far from it.

is there a mechanic in place to prevent people from sitting just below the threshold and banking rep and sp. Then overnight going to GM? Something like the ludus where you can only hold as much as 200 sp. great job and thanks for the new area!

Comment

Loving the new additions. They should be helpful for new players and returning players. The alleys (coastal and Septima's) both feel better. Keep up the good work!

Vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxfire View Post
                          A question I have is if I can still help broker for newbies in this area and actually benefit them. Centus has over 1000 ranks total between non com and combat ranks. Does this mean that if I try to broker for someone in this area, that I will earn them less money than they would get if they did it on their own? Or perhaps the prices newbies will get for these various items is fixed? Just curious.
                          No broker needed. Essentially, the turn-in area is like the armband/ donation turn-in shops in Franlius. You turn in the desired object and get good-will credit, always the same amount. And the prices of goods is so stupidly cheap, they wouldn't need a broker to buy things from the actual shops in question.

I'll look at the thugs/brutes once I'm back from my much-delayed honeymoon, if one of the other staff doesn't figure it out before I get back!
                          Game Master Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post

I'll look at the thugs/brutes once I'm back from my much-delayed honeymoon, if one of the other staff doesn't figure it out before I get back!
                            Dude! Stop looking at the forums. The game will live for a few more days. Enjoy your honeymoon!

Comment

After having some fun yesterday, I was wondering if you could perhaps add butterfly catching to the "newbie jobs" that offer reputation and have them be bought at the tent. They're not easy to catch, and a lot of fun in the process. Just an idea. To sell the nets and jars somewhere close to the toga. They can be caught there by Phaedra or out at the courses. Which would give a good introduction to getting to the courses.

Comment

Working...
                              X