Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting/requesting standardization

Hello all,

As you may have noticed, the GM's have been really busy lately, and I can't imagine the transition taking little time to sort out.
    Looking at my own messes of requests and bug reports, I figured streamlining the way we file them could make a difference.
    So, to save the GM's some time, I would like to suggest that we as players standardize our error reporting with templates.
    (If they agree that this would save time, of course)

Here are my suggestions:

// Bug report
    <Short title>

Item:
    (Current) location:
    Expected behaviour:
    Actual behaviour:
    Possible factors:

<Short reasoning why this is an issue>
    //

Example:

Uncooked food sold at Toga

Item: Roast Mutton
    Current location: X's backpack
    Expected behaviour: Eat cooked mutton to regain sustenance levels
    Actual behaviour: Violently threw up due to "uncooked meat", HP loss (1 tick, 5HP) due to starving
    Possible factors: Growling stomach level hunger

While I understand that meat can be rare, uncooked and dangerous to eat when hungry is something I didn't expect due to the wording "roast mutton"
    // Item alteration

Base item:
    Item location:
    Short description:
    Long description:
    Additional information requests:
    Return location:
    Authorization of price range:
    //

Example:

Base item: A plain cookie
    Item location: X's backpack
    Short description: A cookie with hulking chocolate chips
    Long description: A cookie with the biggest darn chocolate chips you're going to see before you die
    Additional information request: Can I get a discount if I get a bunch of chocolate chips?
    Return location: X's backpack
    Authorization of price range: If the IG cost is below 100t, I agree

Your friendly neighborhood Druceo

Could you add the option to dismiss a request even if it's been claimed by a GM? I've got requests that were timely when they were submitted years ago but were lost to request purgatory and cannot be banished.
    <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
    Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Note that your location is included when submitting a report and is likely more accurate (a room ID) than what you'd describe. If it is location specific, just report it from where it takes place.

Comment

While your location gets noted, sometimes there's a delay between the issue occurring and deciding to report, or it pertains to a specific item that you carry around. In those cases, clarifying the item's current location would be appropriate, else you could specify "current location" to point at the system logged one.

Comment

Originally posted by Druceo View Post
          While your location gets noted, sometimes there's a delay between the issue occurring and deciding to report, or it pertains to a specific item that you carry around. In those cases, clarifying the item's current location would be appropriate, else you could specify "current location" to point at the system logged one.
          Not disagreeing, just saying if possible to report from the location it's likely more desirable. The items also are likely to be easier to locate if they can be left in the room from which they are reported or in a bank.

Comment

I understood, and I didn't mean to imply you were incorrect in saying so, just wanted to try and indicate that you should think about whether it's relevant information in the case.

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for attempting this. I'm all for standardization of report and request formats, as it definitely helps. There were a couple of nice comprehensive lists a few years ago, but they seem to have been lost to the ether in a forum transfer years ago.

A couple of things to note:
              • Please @report or @request from the location of the bug and/or request is needed. As ToothlessRebel mentioned, it stamps your request with your location ID which is significantly more useful than "in my inn room." We don't know where that is without a lot of research, and if you have multiple inn rooms, now we have to guess, or initiate another back and forth to find that information.
              • If you are @requesting an item alteration, please put the item somewhere and leave it there. The number of times we've had to spend a month tagging back and forth because someone will say "it's in my bag" and then they take it out of the bag, remove the bag, give the bag to a friend, throw the bag away, actually meant backpack and that backpack is in a hole in the grasslands...you get my point. Preferably, put the item in your bank, either by itself or in an easily distinguishable container (a large green sack shaped like a squid vs. a large sack).
              • Preferably put your item in a CLEAN bank. Some of you are crazy pack rats and eleven screens of scroll trying to find 'a pen' makes our eyes cross.
              • Please note which bank, especially if it's a common item name that you may have in more than one account.
              • While it's fine to include an authorization of price range, we still need your authorization of the request before we start. You'll receive a message with any changes to your idea, the RP cost, and the IG cost. Then you'll need to respond with a yes or no.
              Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjel View Post
                Could you add the option to dismiss a request even if it's been claimed by a GM? I've got requests that were timely when they were submitted years ago but were lost to request purgatory and cannot be banished.
                We will check into this. In the meantime, can you please send me a forum PM with the request and the name of the GM that has claimed it, and I will get it responded to or closed. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Siddhe View Post

We will check into this. In the meantime, can you please send me a forum PM with the request and the name of the GM that has claimed it, and I will get it responded to or closed. Thank you!
                  Oh man.. I've got a LIST!

Comment

Originally posted by ToothlessRebel View Post

Oh man.. I've got a LIST!
                    Send me a PM, I will try to get them cleared for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Siddhe View Post

Send me a PM, I will try to get them cleared for you.
                      Tell us how to get the name of the GM to which it's assigned (I just get something like, "You can't delete this, it's already assigned.") and how you want us to identify the request. Last I tried to reference a request I was told the number in my list was useless.

Comment

why don't you add a note to each request saying please delete this request since I can't?

Comment

Originally posted by ToothlessRebel View Post

Tell us how to get the name of the GM to which it's assigned (I just get something like, "You can't delete this, it's already assigned.") and how you want us to identify the request. Last I tried to reference a request I was told the number in my list was useless.
                          You likely can't see the name of the GM. If you send me a message, however, with your user ID and the content of the request, I feel pretty confident I can find it to close it

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                            why don't you add a note to each request saying please delete this request since I can't?
                            Please don't do this. If your request has been claimed by someone no longer on staff, those notes are just going into the ether.

There are zero notifications that anyone else can see, when a claimed ticket has a new response. It's hard enough when it's your very own claimed ticket, as we don't get notifications that you've responded to those, either, unless we specifically go looking for them.

tl;dr if you have an old ticket that was claimed and is no longer getting responses (or never received one in the first place) sending me a message to close it is going to be far more effective than responding to the ticket. And sending me a forum PM is preferable to clogging up the actual @request system.

Comment

Thanks, that's a very clear reason why not to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X