Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

TEC is down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the Traevent fort for all that garbage it's probably storing?

Comment

Ultimatius finally ran out of money and was kicked out of his room at the Toga. 38.2 million pieces of loot had to then be processed into the bank.

Comment

In all seriousness, Tale is there anything we as a playerbase can do on our end to reduce or optimize the lag? I'm not sure how much resources the game uses for messy inn rooms, piles of loot, banks filled with junk, etc.

Would going on a mass discard frenzy in all the woods help? I know in past large groups of twigs have been known to crash the game.

Comment

Originally posted by herdias View Post
          In all seriousness, Tale is there anything we as a playerbase can do on our end to reduce or optimize the lag? I'm not sure how much resources the game uses for messy inn rooms, piles of loot, banks filled with junk, etc.

Would going on a mass discard frenzy in all the woods help? I know in past large groups of twigs have been known to crash the game.
          It certainly wouldn't hurt. We suspect the huge resource suck happened during the backup's "now clean it" phase somewhere. So we suspect it tried cleaning something or somethingS it just couldn't handle all at once without using ALL the resources. For a few hours.

Soooo.....cleaning up inn rooms, HQs, and wilderness areas wouldn't go amiss, to be frank. If there is a random pile of 500,000+ twigs somewhere...that could maybe be a problem.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Ruh roh. Here we go again.

Comment

Roh no shaggy

Comment

Like Zoinks Syden! The game is totally down.

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                  Just want to point out the double NLB thing only happens when using orchill connection.
                  This is false.

Comment

I'm not getting it using java

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                      I'm not getting it using java
                      I don't think that actually proves it doesn't happen. Are you getting it every time on Orchil? If not, it's certainly possible you simply haven't on Java yet.
                      I can promise you it happens on Zealotry.

Comment

As if he uses Java.

Comment

Zealotry and Orchill are the same connection.

java is completely different

Comment

Safe to say, the road project did kill the game for all you salmon lovers.
                            Client Preference 'scrollback_count' changed to '300'.
                            Client Preference 'text_size' changed to '12'.
                            Starting connection to: ws://www.skotos.net:8080/tec
                            CONNECTED
                            DISCONNECTED
                            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

I haven't gotten any double NLB lines using Orchil.

As far as server lag goes, is the GM Test Server realm connected to the same machine that the regular TEC realm is on? Is the GM Test Server also suffering from these issues? If they are on the same machine and the GM Test Server is running perfectly fine, would it be possible to stress test it to see if the issue will also happen on that one?

If they run on the same machine and under high stress the GM Test Server runs perfectly fine and it runs on an older seed of our current database, then it must mean that something is wrong with the current database that the Live Realm is on. Something was changed between the two seeds to cause these issues. I'm not saying it's the GMs fault necessarily with something done code-wise. It could also be something that the players have caused due to some changes in behavior (trip to Cullaiden/mapping out the entire island, for example).

I feel like the issues started appearing after that one night when the game froze but Senses brought it back from the dead. For a while if we used 'who', 'look at me' and any commands directly targeting someone or involving users, it caused an error and then the game froze. The lag could have been before that, but I don't really remember it.

Forgot to mention one thing:

Originally I wasn't getting much lag, but whenever I saw "A corpse collapses into a pile of rot." some weeks back, it started to lag and that's when I noticed the very minor (small seconds) freezes would happen as well.

Comment

Working theory is that one or more of the Gameworld cleanup processes that trigger after backups is snagging on something that is grinding the game to a halt for a while before resolving (or giving up). So the game isn't crashing, just stalling out due to ALL resources being used to resolve something that needs fixed.

Good news is, once the game is back up, we believe we have a way to push back the backups to give us time to pick the cleanup processes apart to find the issue.

In the meantime, we ask for your patience and that you toss a coin to your Witcher. More info as it comes.

Thank you all for having our backs and staying patient while we tackle this issue.

P.S. With the separation from Skotos on the horizon, someone might want to take this opportunity to organize a brief invasion into Or more of the other Skotos games... In the biggest group possible. Randomly flooding them with rowdy TECers to make absolutely sure they remember us for a long time.
                                Game Master Tale
                                Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Working...
                                X