Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag part 2/ disconnects/ front page connection

Hello,
    I know this will sound dumb but with the on-going issues , im wondering is there any eta, i love to recommend people to come here but its a pain to explain the seven steps to get around the broken log in, and if they do orchii is still brutal? Sorry to be a broken record

Love Dooter's playert
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Just want to note the lag is not isolated to the Orchil client. Also getting lag in Alice. Affects everything but seems particularly bad with the "look" and "stock" commands, at least for me.
    [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

The way TEC is setup is it has 2 different ways it handles output to the user.

1. Java
      2. Orchill/Alice/zealous let's call this SkotosMod.

Java protocol sends output to the client a completely different way than SkotosMod does.

Java will send /\/ commands and also splits the string up before outputting to handle a word wrap issue Java had back in the day. It does not send HTML to the user and has its own way of handling colours. Connecting via this method is not secure as it sends password in plain text.

SkotosMod uses the SKOOT system which provides alot more information, allows for a map of the area and spits out the output with HTML that allows browsers to natively handle formatting. Connecting via this method is more secure as it uses a hashed MD5 encrypted password to login.

Java one seems to be significantly more stable than SkotosMod. It's night and day the difference. Java protocol will queue up the data and process it out to the user better, where as SkotosMod can sometimes overlap queued information and give you the who command split up over 7 lines while you're walking.

If I were a GM, I'd be looking at that backend processing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post

If I were a GM, I'd be looking at that backend processing stuff.
        You've got my vote!

Comment

Today is extremely terrible at 735 pm est

Comment

Can we get any updates from the GM team please? Siddhe

Several of us have been told there is no lag by some GMs.

EVERYONE is talking about the amount of lag there is. It might not be traditional "lag" in the sense that you ping the server but there is definitely something fundamentally wrong with the game itself.
            • Double attacks
            • Double no longer busy
            • Significant Delayed responses to commands
            • Text output to the game extremely slow e.g. it's like talking to a person who stutters badly
            • Seeing yourself in the next room when you walk into it
            • Things falling unconscious multiple times
            • Buying stuff taking extremely long time that you think you didn't buy it so you buy it again only to get two items and then being told it's not a game issue it was your own problem
            • Typing look and 30 seconds later it will stagger onto your screen inbetween other commands.
            • Having people follow you randomly drop off if you walk too fast.
            It's happening on all the official clients. These are just some examples and it's getting to the point where Noone wants to go do anything out of their ordinary safe routine because the lag will just f them up.

It's not client side. The maximum data I can manage to get from the game at once is 10kb. It's 2020 now and computers can handle huge amounts of data at once.

Comment

I completely agree with your assesment Syden. "it's getting to the point where Noone wants to go do anything out of their ordinary safe routine because the lag will just f them up." I was running in SW of Fran and dropped to 70 HP because of lag. Shield charge failed and couldn't get up and got wailed on. This isn't acceptable and needs to be addressed now if you want to keep the remaining players engaged.

Comment

engaged nothing... remaining players logging in.... hmmm... maybe they don't? Maybe they're prepping for the split this way?
                Jk.

Comment

I agree. Using official client.

I just typed get armor. 9-11 seconds later the game finally sent back You get some muddy leather armor.

Experiencing many of the kinds of things Syden already mentioned above.
                  [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

Yeah, it's starting to get unbearable again

Comment

A male wagoneer says to you, "Head on in. We'll be leaving in less than a minute."
                      It is too dark to see anything.
                      You roll your eyes.

You count out the appropriate number of coins and hand them to a female
                      wagoneer.
                      You roll your eyes.
                      A female wagoneer places a plain grey ticket on a barrel.
                      You count out the appropriate number of coins and hand them to a female
                      wagoneer.
                      A female wagoneer places a plain grey ticket on a barrel.

This is happening more and more consistently.

Areas I see the most lag in my day to day:
                      • STOCK command
                      • SKILLS command
                      • LOOK command
                      • Buying things (As noted above)
                      • Walking (as noted above)
                      • Sharonpa's room - I lag up everytime I walk in. I'd guess that she's got some script on the doorway that calculates your tradein credit and displays the proper y/n question.
                      • Double boss spawns in UT - Deadly
                      • Ravines - Deadly with high roll feint
                      Something is wrong. Everyone keeps saying something is wrong. It is entirely backend. I experience it on any client I try. It may not be a ping lag I get ~70-80ms in Michigan) but there is something bogging down output from the system.
                      Last edited by herdias; 02-24-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

When selling to an NPC, the sack they put on the counter sometimes still shows the items you've just tried to sell. Adding on to this, there are times when an NPC accepts a sack, it appears empty when placed on the counter, but when asked for change they say something to the effect of "I don't owe you anything." After waiting for a decent amount of time and asking again, the items disappear from the sack and a vellum with the correct amount is generated.

Comment

I wish I had more information for you, but the TEC code looks to be running fairly clean. I've messaged Skotos to see if they can look at the server. Outside of that, we're continuing to monitor things on our side, while looking forward to having access to the servers to poke around ourselves sometime next month or early April, whenever that ends up taking place.

Comment

Siddhe Thanks for the update. Sucks you don't have more information but at least you're willing to admit that instead of radio silence. Can't wait til TEC team can be more independent.

You may have already done all this but if I were to treat this like work, I'd work backwards to move forwards. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes of a frustrating problem is all you need. I don't expect you to answer any of these but these are questions I would ask myself if I was on the big dog team.
                            • When did the issue first start? From what we've surmised on the discord lag goes at least back to November or at least that's when it started getting noticeable.
                              • What has been changed on live server since November?
                              • Do those same changes cause similar performance issues on test server?
                            • What systems or functions are being effected by performance issues the most? LOOK, SKILLS, STOCK, Walking, No Longer Busy all come to mind.
                              • Is this a product of resource hogging?
                              • Upon investigation, Are they the culprit?
                              • Are the same systems being effected the same on test server?
                            • Are systems or functions not firing correctly and causing performance issues due to waiting to complete something else. We saw this issue with backups 'freezing' waiting for a process to finish. Perhaps there's more things like this that are mucking things up.
                              • Are holo_wilderness rooms properly deactivating? Cullaiden comes to mind.
                              • Is the server properly closing connections upon logout?
                            • Are certain safeguards in place globally?
                              • Example:There's safeguards to prevent selling the same thing twice or giving the bank clerk the same vellum twice. The same is not true for buying an item twice on accident.
                              • Example: Double spawns in -very- dangerous locations. We got a double boss spawn in Level 2 of Undertown the other day because of lag. Was not fun.
                              • Example: The global spawn timer is around 1 minute by my guess. Certain hunting grounds and enemies have AI that subvert this timer to provide a more difficult experience. I know in the past blobbing large groups of mobs would bring the game to a stand still.
                            • This is a bigger one and probably requires tons of effort to review. Is the code efficiently doing what it's supposed to? Every little process adds up if it's a poorly strung together bowl of spaghetti (which we've been told it is).
                              • Can it easily be optimized? If yes, fix it as you review it. If no, document document document and circle back. I'm sure the game has thirty approaches to doing thing over 20+ years and a bunch of GMs.
                              • Prioritize. If the wilderness system is a dense bowl of easily breakable code but requires little server resources, work on something else. If the STOCK tables take up most the resources, focus on that.
                            • Are archaic systems or project that have been abandoned taking up resources?
                              • Side projects, skills, etc. that have been abandoned or will never be released. Are they still effecting the game in some way? i.e. Herbalism, Acrobatics, Leatherworking
                            That's all I can think of now. I hope that at least some of those will spark some ideas that may have been overlooked. If you ask us, we'll help you. You've got a solid group of non-staff volunteers who would be more than glad to help you. We care about the game and it's future too.

Comment

If tec code is running clean, and we are saying its extremely bad lag, that even Syden can throw fish and hit someone? Where would it be in between?

Comment

Working...
                              X