Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Trait Revamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malevolent shadow is stupid now. I'm currently at a 20% defense loss across the board. -47RB in defensive to each of my easy dodges. Regening 1RB every minute or so. This is after actively trying to mitigate it by praying to various gods shrines. Ravan seemed to help the most so I guess my dude is a ravanite now. :shrug:

It should -not- be % based. That makes the trait progressively more punishing the longer you train your character.

Comment

Dirty heretics.

Comment

Originally posted by herdias View Post
        Malevolent shadow is stupid now. I'm currently at a 20% defense loss across the board. -47RB in defensive to each of my easy dodges. Regening 1RB every minute or so. This is after actively trying to mitigate it by praying to various gods shrines. Ravan seemed to help the most so I guess my dude is a ravanite now. :shrug:

It should -not- be % based. That makes the trait progressively more punishing the longer you train your character.
        Earlier today I was sitting at 12x the similar +4 trait.

Comment

Could you be a bit more specific? 12x the similar +4 trait?

Comment

The Mal Shadow penalty got reduced but i'm back to -35 rb for average moves and -41 rb for easy moves in wary. The regen is still 1x per ~5 minutes so it's still impossible to get anywhere near regular numbers again and i'll likely just continue getting worse.

The positive trait for +10 natural defense (acrobats edge) is 4 points...mal shadow is -3. ugh. just saying.

Comment

So, is this the intention of Malevolent Shadow? Any GM statement on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rinduck View Post
                So, is this the intention of Malevolent Shadow? Any GM statement on this?
                Yea, we're all testing it to see how it progresses. Simply existing seems to make it progressively get worse. I'm currently at 35% down, which (in normal) is 2-3x the +4 trait.

The "defense" of it was that it was that you could mitigate it and it's not always on. So far, it's basically always on and the only mitigation we've found requires you to pick a specific path of roleplay.

Also, several actions make it even worse than the normal seemingly "always on". A simple example, praying to an Erealite shrine makes it worse.

Comment

We can only assume yes, because:
                  Staff, and Senses specifically, *have all put a lot of effort into not only testing and coding the traits*, but also the delivery method which I think you will find very useful (see below).
                  - Siddhe

"Approval" basically means that no one on staff can object to it, complain about it, break it, exploit it, or foresee/fortell any issues. *Thus indicating that it is as ready for roll-out as it can be*.
                  - Tale

*Traits are now live.*
                  - Pranzor

I guess we could wait for Senses to weigh in.

Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                  I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                  Originally posted by Phwoar
                  Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                  Originally posted by Elowynn
                  Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
                    We can only assume yes, because:
                    - Siddhe

- Tale

- Pranzor

I guess we could wait for Senses to weigh in.
                    So far, 2 (TWO) of my threads have been either deleted or locked because I'm challenging their idea that these are perfect. I imagine we likely won't hear anything else other than 'it's not happening'.
                    Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
                    Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

The most logical conclusion, in my mind, to this whole mess is quite simple. The traits are currently being changed and tweaked. Bugs are being ironed out as we help the GMs test things. Some people have already pulled the gun and have used the re-trait function on their mains because of testing that was done as a result. These people are being punished for utilizing a system that was said to be fully operational and finalized. It is obviously not the case as things are still being fixed.

To top it off, several of the listed traits have descriptions that don't necessarily explain the traits out properly, some of which have some pretty bad side effects.

What I would highly recommend is for the staff to consider the current phase as a beta period for traits while things are being ironed out and we test things along with you. This beta phase should last no longer than a month, after which, you should allow characters to make better informed decisions as to what traits they ultimately want to utilize for their characters. Bug fixes aren't even being publicized right now to let us know what is being done with the traits. Tweaks are being done and we are being kept in the dark for the most part.

Even if we do have the ability to re-trait further down the line if we are unhappy, we shouldn't have to pay the hefty cost of 5000 role-points and countless hours/money while everything is being finalized. We understand that this game is a live service and that it is being modified constantly, but we shouldn't be penalized for the misunderstandings that arise from the poor documentation that has been released with the traits and the ill effects they may have on our long term characters - our precious little things that we have spent -years- working on.

Comment

Originally posted by jkidd View Post
                        The Mal Shadow penalty got reduced but i'm back to -35 rb for average moves and -41 rb for easy moves in wary. The regen is still 1x per ~5 minutes so it's still impossible to get anywhere near regular numbers again and i'll likely just continue getting worse.

The positive trait for +10 natural defense (acrobats edge) is 4 points...mal shadow is -3. ugh. just saying.
                        Malevolent Shadow is functioning as intended. Unlike Acrobat's Edge, Malevolent Shadow is not on 100% of the time. There are ways to resolve its effects, but it doesn't appear players have discovered exactly how to do so. We are monitoring this to ensure its continued balance.

If you do spot any bugs, please put in a detailed @report of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranzor View Post

Malevolent Shadow is functioning as intended. Unlike Acrobat's Edge, Malevolent Shadow is not on 100% of the time. There are ways to resolve its effects, but it doesn't appear players have discovered exactly how to do so. We are monitoring this to ensure its continued balance.

If you do spot any bugs, please put in a detailed @report of the issue.
                          Ok, that's great but not in line with the transparency everyone talked about previously. I'm 25% gimped and only found temporary relief praying to Ravan.

Comment

The "RP" coming out of trait testing by players is anything but. OOC testing breaks immersion, and ruins the role-play atmosphere the game has worked so hard for 20 years to cultivate.

Please release more thorough explanations of traits so that OOC/crap RP testing is less necessary. There is no reason for mechanics in this game, already extremely inaccessible, to pollute RP rather than enhance it. Make this a game where players can make informed mechanics choices - especially in choosing traits, which USUALLY happen BEFORE you even play a character.

While I am sure GMs work very hard to attract and help out brand new players, the majority of NEW players (and returning players) are helped out by players. Discord and other OOC chat is the forefront of teaching other players how to play. Please believe us when we say this game has an extremely high learning threshold that -shouldn't have obfuscated, un-explainable mechanics- which make it worse.

Please release better trait explanations as a start.

Comment

Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
                              The most logical conclusion, in my mind, to this whole mess is quite simple. The traits are currently being changed and tweaked. Bugs are being ironed out as we help the GMs test things. Some people have already pulled the gun and have used the re-trait function on their mains because of testing that was done as a result. These people are being punished for utilizing a system that was said to be fully operational and finalized. It is obviously not the case as things are still being fixed.

To top it off, several of the listed traits have descriptions that don't necessarily explain the traits out properly, some of which have some pretty bad side effects.

What I would highly recommend is for the staff to consider the current phase as a beta period for traits while things are being ironed out and we test things along with you. This beta phase should last no longer than a month, after which, you should allow characters to make better informed decisions as to what traits they ultimately want to utilize for their characters. Bug fixes aren't even being publicized right now to let us know what is being done with the traits. Tweaks are being done and we are being kept in the dark for the most part.

Even if we do have the ability to re-trait further down the line if we are unhappy, we shouldn't have to pay the hefty cost of 5000 role-points and countless hours/money while everything is being finalized. We understand that this game is a live service and that it is being modified constantly, but we shouldn't be penalized for the misunderstandings that arise from the poor documentation that has been released with the traits and the ill effects they may have on our long term characters - our precious little things that we have spent -years- working on.
                              !00% all of this. This is essentially turning out to be an open beta test of the new trait system and while that is fine (and in many ways a great thing), it should be treated as a beta test. If a trait is being changed after testing has been conducted, anyone who chose it previously based on incorrect/outdated data is being negatively impacted. This is made even worse by the fact that not -ONE- single change made during this period has been notated in the minor changes forum or made public in any reliable manner.

I personally think that what is being asked by many people at this point is reasonable: let us continue to test these new traits and the changes being implemented in a production environment. You're getting high quality feedback and stats direct from your paying customers. But don't punish us for doing the testing for you. Once the beta testing period has concluded, give us the option to retrait once more at zero cost. I should also mention that this is coming from someone who has been pleased with all of the changes so far and managed to dodge any of the landmines others have encountered. I benefit nothing from a free retrait, but I whole heartedly support it in that it is what should be offered from a good customer service perspective.

TLDR; Let us do the live beta testing, make any tweaks or adjustments publicly known so we can test further and provide feedback, then offer one last free retrait once things have been properly balanced/settled.
                              Got Questions? We've got answers!
                              Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
                              Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
                              Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

It's almost like we need a special room and forums for people to test new features before they are released into the gameworld and limited to premium accounts.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information