Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Trait Revamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***NEGATIVE TRAITS

Shaky Hands
    Character receives a -15% penalty to dexterity. Mutually exclusive with Steady Hands. Value: -3

Bleeder
    Increased HP loss from bleeding wounds. Value: -3
    Comment: Needs a value.

Lack of Concentration
    Increased stun time. Character is more vulnerable to magic. Mutually exclusive with Presence of Mind. Value: -3
    Suggested edit: Stun time is (doubled/whatever.) Character is more vulnerable to magic. Mutually exclusive with Presence of Mind. Value: -3

Near-Sighted
    Reduced scanning range and a -25% penalty to perception. Mutually exclusive with 'Hunter's Eye'. Value: -3

Provincial Attitude
    Character receives a -20% penalty to empathy and a -10% penalty to charisma. Mutually exclusive with Worldly Knowledge. Value: -2

Jinxed
    Enemies have an increased chance of scoring critical hits. Value: -2

All Thumbs
    Increased frequency of fumbling and critical failures. Value: -1

Frail Build
    Character receives a -5% penalty to endurance and strength. Value: -2

Aversion to Pain
    Increased HP loss due to wounds. Value: -3

Aversion to Violence
    Character suffers a large penalty to combat. Value: -3

Uncontrollable Anxiety
    Character has a chance of fainting when HP drops below 40 and of passing out when HP drops below 20. Value: -3

Fear of the Dark
    Character has increased darkness penalties and cannot move from his or her location if unable to see. Mutually exclusive with Night Vision and Night Owl. Value: -2

Superstitious Fears
    Character has a major vulnerability to magic. Character cannot use any items with magical properties, including cadaes. Value: -3

Phobia - Arachnids
    Character suffers a general combat penalty when fighting spiders and other arachnids. Value: -1

Phobia - Snakes
    Character suffers a general combat penalty when fighting snakes and serpent-like creatures. Value: -1

Phobia - Insects
    Character suffers a general combat penalty when fighting insects of any variety. Value: -1

Phobia - Bats
    Character suffers a general combat penalty when fighting bats or creatures resembling bats. Value: -1

Stutterer
    Character receives a -15% penalty to charisma and their speech pattern is affected. Value: -1

Gullible
    Greatly reduces bartering ability with NPC merchants. Mutually exclusive with Trader's Tongue. Value: -1

Illiterate
    Character cannot read or write. Mutually exclusive with Educated. Value: -1

Frail Sensibility
    Character receives a -20% penalty to willpower. Mutually exclusive with Iron Will. Value: -2

Weak Constitution
    Character receives a -5% penalty to endurance and recovers HP at a reduced rate. Mutually exclusive with Dursc Constitution. Value: -2

Frail Lungs
    Reduced fatigue recovery and increased fatigue drain. Mutually exclusive with Mountain Lungs. Value: -2

Introverted
    Character receives a -30% penalty to charisma. Mutually exclusive with Innate Charm. Value: -1

Squeamish
    Chance to faint at the sight of bleeding wounds. Value: -3

Weak Stomach
    Character is more susceptible to poison and nausea. Mutually exclusive with Iron Gut. Value: -1

Sickly
    Character more susceptible to disease. Disease symptoms may be amplified. Value: -1

Intense Nightmares
    Character recovers fatigue at a reduced rate when asleep, is more susceptible to magic, and receives a -5% penalty to willpower. Value: -2

Bum Knee
    Character suffers HP loss when running. Value: -2

Malevolent Shadow
    Character is haunted by dark hallucinations, incurring a penalty to defense. Value: -3
    Comment: Needs a value, and explanation of mitigation.
    Suggestion on 7/15/20: Character is haunted by dark hallucinations, incurring a 10% penalty to defense for (time).
    Update 7/21/20: Description changed to: Character is periodically haunted by dark hallucinations, incurring a penalty of up to -10% of defensive rank bonus. Calming the mind may sometimes lessen the effects.

Suggestion on 7/21/20: Character is periodically haunted by dark hallucinations, incurring a penalty of up to -10% of defensive rank bonus to each tier of defense. Calming the mind may sometimes lessen the effects.

Absent Minded
    Character periodically drops held items. Value: -3
    Suggestion on 7/21/20: Character periodically drops held items, including wielded weapons, without noticing.

Tone Deaf
    Character cannot sing, whistle, or play musical instruments. Value: -1
    Suggestion on 7/15/20: Character cannot sing or whistle, and may have ruinous effects on attempts to play musical instruments.

Silver Spoon
    Unless carrying enough coin, character has a chance to have a panic attack which drains fatigue. Value: -1
    Suggestion on 7/15/20: Unless carrying enough coin, character has a chance to have a panic attack which drains 15% fatigue.

Body Odor
    Character receives a -10% penalty to appearance and has an intense body odor. Value: -2

Cowardly
    Character is overcome with fear and panic in battle. Value: -3

Old Dog
    Character gains SP at a vastly reduced rate with skills learned in the 4th slot or above. Value: -2
    Suggested edit: Old Dog: Character gains nearly no SP with skills learned in the 4th slot or above. Value: -2.
    Last edited by Elowynn; 07-21-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I feel like Malevolent Shadow also needs clarification on whether it's a blanket penalty or only affects you following a hallucination or something, and perhaps some information to indicate how often the hallucinations will occur.

Don't have much to add except that I'm amazed that with the general importance of making a character that's fun (which includes their negative aspects), the traits as issued had such inadequate descriptions in places. Generally, being vague when it comes to mechanical information does not benefit the player base and is often confusing to newer people or people who aren't mechanically minded -- an imprecise or poorly worded description can lead to choices, especially with negative traits, that may seem colorful but end up making a character a chore to play, and that usually ends up with them not being played. Players should have unambiguous information about what they're getting into.

I've played games that tried to do "ambiguous mechanics" before and every single time it's proved to be a poor decision.
      Originally posted by Mast3rmind
      Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
      Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
      Ravenlark pats you.
      Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Excellent work everyone.

So many of us on the Discord have banded together and done a lot of testing. It's been a great time of cohesion for us. If I were a new player and walking into such a vibrant community I would be very enthused. It's a shame so much of this testing is OOC or done with such slapdash RP. And of course it's a shame we have to do this at all.

I like the list of proposed additions to the trait descriptions. I second Vladmir's feeling about ambiguous mechanics.

Comment

carry weight without mules back is 1.5 x strength
          carrry weight WITH mules back is 2.5 x strength

Comment

I believe the previous posts have covered this well. I want to add to the body of thought so it is not just a few players expressing their disappointment with this rollout. Let me be clear I think the GM’s did an amazing job with traits, there are some very interesting traits and combos that are created to possibly topple the dex-build as a build of choice.

A few things I would like to point out or reiterate.

We were told on more than one occasion that we would have a chance to preview the traits before they were released. This did not happen.

We were told we would get actual values on what traits did, this did not happen fully. It is not “fun” to run around and try everything to figure out what mitigates a horrible nerf to a character. Fun is theory crafting in a system to build the best character possible. Not to do the job of identifying what a trait is supposed to do.

The negatives are devalued in real terms. Mr. Unlucky’ s post does an amazing job capturing the main argument of this.

We are currently working under 4 different trait systems. Players depending on age and purchase history could either have in order of Most OP 1. Finesse + 200 strength 2. Super Cinner (free trait Blade Mastery) plus 3 traits which would be the Ultimate Dex build. 3. Old trait system. 4. New system. If the idea is to level the playing field then I would suggest that ALL characters should be forced into the new trait system. Balancing old and new will never work well.

The GM’s stated that the traits were fully done and that all the staff had approved of them. I think that is wonderful that you agreed. The GM team is a small team and this is a big change that should have been thoroughly tested. More testing has gone on in the last few days with the whole player-base than possibly the GM’s did over the last year. This is not a knock on what you did, more of a plea to let the player base help in ways that we could.

Siddhe you dug in your heels from the initial post that there would be no reverts. This was a one-time free retrait and then beyond that we would need to pay a 5k fee. While this is to prevent having to fix players jumping head first into the shallow end of the pool you unnecessarily put yourself in a corner. One in which if you were to move from would make you appear weak and encourage more players to attempt to bully you. I would caution you not to do that again because this release was a mess and some accommodations should reasonably be made.

Final point. This as others have said should be treated like an Open World Beta. Let the player base continue to figure out the bugs and help you tweak the system and then a retrait should be allowed to all players, not to revert to the old but to repick in the new systems.

Tldr: Gm’s did a great initial job of creating traits, let us help you fine tune traits. When that is complete every player must convert from old system into new for true balance.

Comment

A poll we did on the discord, after the forum one got closed down: https://www.poll-maker.com/results30...94889-93#tab-2

Can the GM's answer this question for me?

- What is the point of the trait system? What role, in the grand vision that you guys have for TEC, do traits play?

I ask, because I have a really difficult time telling what the intention actually is. Some traits are game defining, others are 'RP flavor'. Some are completely debilitating, some can be completely mitigated with free emotes. I asked a similar question when the GM's were asking for trait suggestions a year ago, so that I could make better suggestions that would fulfill the design concept you guys have in mind for TEC. I never got a response. I genuinely hope there's an answer now.
              Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
              I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
              Originally posted by Phwoar
              Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
              Originally posted by Elowynn
              Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Who's the pony???

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ariden View Post

We are currently working under 4 different trait systems. Players depending on age and purchase history could either have in order of Most OP 1. Finesse + 200 strength
                    You people keep bringing this up, but if someone has finesse and 200 strength it's a bug. There were tons of bugged characters when people were first allowed to go over 200. @report it.

Comment

Just because it's a bug doesn't mean it's not happening. I would report it if I knew names only rumors. But the reality is if you had that combo would you tell anyone? Most wouldn't and to let a player decide that is not good in a game where you seek every advantage.

But don't focus on that one point. Excluding that case scenario we still have 3 systems. No way to balance that properly.

Additionally GM's have to stop adjusting mechanics without notes. Players are forced to figure out mechanics in a totally ooc fashion and then continually retest because no notes are provided. This is extremely insulting to players that spend significant amount of hours to figure out these puzzles. And no it's not "fun" to have to verify your numbers over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantraste View Post

You people keep bringing this up, but if someone has finesse and 200 strength it's a bug. There were tons of bugged characters when people were first allowed to go over 200. @report it.
                        "Due to the massive amount of time and effort it would take to entertain any request to do so, there will be no retroactive refunding or changing of past purchases/training/etc."
                        http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...attribute-caps

Above was the response given when the change to stats was made. If a person bought out their gimped stat under the old system, they were grandfathered and those stats are unaffected. There are a few cases where this is true, but we are hopeful that most will find great benefit in participating in the new system. The grandfathered advantages are far from game-breaking. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, but there may be better doctors available.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranzor View Post

"Due to the massive amount of time and effort it would take to entertain any request to do so, there will be no retroactive refunding or changing of past purchases/training/etc."
                          http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...attribute-caps

Above was the response given when the change to stats was made. If a person bought out their gimped stat under the old system, they were grandfathered and those stats are unaffected. There are a few cases where this is true, but we are hopeful that most will find great benefit in participating in the new system. The grandfathered advantages are far from game-breaking. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, but there may be better doctors available.
                          They're talking about when people had stats that didn't update once folks were allowed to go over 200 points. I'm 100% sure you guys were fixing characters that didn't update properly when the change happened, and can provide specifics. It'd be unreasonable for a staff member to check every single character for errors. What was brought up was someone who fell through the cracks the opposite way, as in the trait penalty didn't apply to their stat level for whatever reasons. Specifically, the 10% strength penalty from Finesse somehow didn't update the strength stat down to an effective level of 180.

Comment

Light Sleeper has been updated both on the main forum post, and the traits menu.

"Light Sleeper - Character can stand without any round time, and will instinctively attempt to stand whenever something enters the room. Character receives reduced fatigue recovery benefits while sitting or lying down."

I am working on more. I was going to wait and just post them all at the end, but I hope this will keep people from discovering the changes themselves and feeling like they weren't properly informed.

Comment

Siddhe
                              Thank you for the update! I think the large majority of people really prefer more frequent and smaller updates like this! Grand reveals are so much more fun, but it makes it much easier to gauge the progress being made with smaller updates and prevents duplicate reporting of bugs.

Keep up the great work, thank you and the staff for all your work.

Comment

Really appreciate the update, Siddhe. Very relieved to hear more are being worked on. To me, that suggests the staff agrees "foig" should only be a thing for some situations, and hopefully not to basic mechanics knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information