Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Trait Revamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lantraste View Post
    By my count, this build out is a +43 to hit all of the time when stats are maxed, not a hypothetical "you're half dead with adrenaline rush" situation. The best the old system could realistically produce was ~ +30 all of the time.

Code:
    Positive Traits
    --------------------
    Steady Hands
    - Character receives a +10% bonus to dexterity. Mutually exclusive with Shaky Hands. Value: 4

Acrobat's Edge
    - Character receives a +10 bonus to dodging. Value: 4

Worldly Knowledge
    - Character receives a +10% bonus to perception and a bonus to learning new languages. Mutually exclusive with Provincial Attitude. Value: 2

Unpredictability
    - Character receives a +5 bonus to dodging. Value: 2

Disciplined Mind
    - Character receives a +5 bonus to hit. Value: 2

Neutral Traits
    --------------------
    Finesse
    - Character receives a +10% bonus to dexterity, improved critical hits, and a -10% penalty to strength. Mutually exclusive with Shaky Hands.
    -14 traits are brutal, because you've taken two +4 positive traits, and there are no -4 traits, so you have to take -3s to compensate across the board. +30 with no downsides vs +43 and -10% defense / -20% health / game-over when bleeding / other negative to hit traits is a no brainer decision.
    "It's still magic even if you know how's it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Comment

• Um the point is not to be gods of war. The point is to achieve a balance between the old and the new. What he just posted shows that this is not currently happening.

Comment

• I don't think mountain lungs is working at all. I re-traited my guy that is max stat. Previously he would recover 5-95 in the warm baths in 19 minutes. I have both increased metabolism and mountain lungs now. I just watched him go from 5-95 in 15:46, he was well-feed at the time. That should be right with only the 25% recovery bonus from increased metabolism. This means Mountain Lungs is not working.

I sent in a report but since Siddhe is currently reading and working on these I felt this would be a good place as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr_unlucky View Post

-14 traits are brutal, because you've taken two +4 positive traits, and there are no -4 traits, so you have to take -3s to compensate across the board. +30 with no downsides vs +43 and -10% defense / -20% health / game-over when bleeding / other negative to hit traits is a no brainer decision.
          I'm currently testing that build on a combat character. There's a combo of negatives that aren't awful, but he's an extreme example. The bonus to hit is so huge that he could probably push through most places solo at around 2k ranks and never worry about bleeding to death or having fireballs shot his way. One could easily tone this extreme down and end up with something similar to what came out of the old system. Forcing me to retrait because I was smart enough to build a character to take advantage of the last trait changes is a little absurd though. You had the same opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ariden View Post
            I don't think mountain lungs is working at all. I re-traited my guy that is max stat. Previously he would recover 5-95 in the warm baths in 19 minutes. I have both increased metabolism and mountain lungs now. I just watched him go from 5-95 in 15:46, he was well-feed at the time. That should be right with only the 25% recovery bonus from increased metabolism. This means Mountain Lungs is not working.

I sent in a report but since Siddhe is currently reading and working on these I felt this would be a good place as well.
            Edit - Nevermind, re-read the post in admin, about increased metabolism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Syden View Post
              Boohoo it happens in every game. Get over it.
              I don't play any other games where you beta-test permanent, choice-driven changes on extremely limited character slots.

Comment

• I've updated the traits posts with suggested edits with the changes Siddhe has made to descriptions (such as for Mobile Skirmisher, Mule's Back, Opportunist) and further updated suggested edits (such as for absent minded.)

Thank you, Siddhe, Pranzor, Senses, and others, for working on updating the descriptions and particularly for re-testing.

Siddhe's update thread:
                http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ts-2020-update

Ongoing posts with description suggestions, including confirmed/tested numbers:

Positives:
                http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...80#post1782780

Neutrals:
                http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...79#post1782779

Negatives:
                http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...81#post1782781

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantraste View Post

I'm currently testing that build on a combat character. There's a combo of negatives that aren't awful, but he's an extreme example. The bonus to hit is so huge that he could probably push through most places solo at around 2k ranks and never worry about bleeding to death or having fireballs shot his way. One could easily tone this extreme down and end up with something similar to what came out of the old system. Forcing me to retrait because I was smart enough to build a character to take advantage of the last trait changes is a little absurd though. You had the same opportunity.
                  1. The traits are the same. 2. Don't force me to retrait. Both 1 and 2 can't be true at the same time.

Furthermore, there are only 5 -3 traits that are not a direct minus to hit or dodge, and they are as follows:
                  Bleeder -3
                  Lack of Concentration -3 Increased stun time
                  Superstitious -3 Major vulnerability to magic
                  Squeamish -3 Feint whenever there is blood
                  Absent Minded -3 Drops items

Superstitious Fears is the standard-bearer here, but at -14 you have to take 4 of these -3 traits. Any other -3 completely negates any benefit you gain from +to hit. All of these except for Superstitious Fears is catastrophic for any PvP character.

And that's the thing. You could get to +30 always before with *zero* combat negatives, or +40 for any serious PvP fight, again with *zero* combat negatives. Now you have to take 4 -3 traits that all affect combat in a catastrophic way to get to the same place.
                  Last edited by mr_unlucky; 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM.
                  "It's still magic even if you know how's it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Comment

• Requesting clarification on these two traits:

Natural Character receives a bonus to shelter-building and general crafting ability. Value: 1

Crafting what? Only outdoors/hunting skills? Does this effect tailoring? Locksmithing crafting abilities?

Metal Affinity
                    Character has a bonus to crafting and mining skills related to metal and ores. Value: 1

Similar question. Does this bonus to crafting only effect lockpicks/keys? Hint to smithing skill sets in the future?

Comment

• Blade Mastery
                      Character causes a higher rate of critical hits with knives, daggers, dirks, and swords. Value: 2
                      Comment: Since this is no longer a Cineran national bonus i think it should be renamed CRIT Mastery and apply to all fighting skillsets. If remains blade mastery, seems odd to not have all bladed weapons included (eg 1ha/2ha).

Comment

• Originally posted by Elowynn View Post

Old Dog
                        Character gains SP at a vastly reduced rate with skills learned in the 4th slot or above. Value: -2
                        Suggested edit: Old Dog: Character gains nearly no SP with skills learned in the 4th slot or above. Value: -2.
                        The above suggestion now seems inaccurate as well. I've had this trait on my main since release. I do not train him into mingains and his SP in 4th+ slots has not changed at all, even when those skills are used as the first in the new cycle. Just tested tears and 0 SP gain.

I would suggest...
                        Suggested edit: Old Dog: Character does not gain SP with skills learned in the 4th slot or above. Value: -2.

Personally, I would prefer the trait did what it actually describes and provides a reduces SP gain, not NO sp gain. But of course, I was told it's working as intended, which boggles my mind, but I guess we have different ideas of what 'gains SP at a vastly reduced rate' means.
                        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                        A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

• I took it on Brim, 0 sp working as intended...eh reduced is zero right? Poorly worded, brutalness
                          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

• As of sometime last night, Old Dog seems to be working as it's worded. I'll test over the next few weeks to understand exactly how 'vastly reduced' the SP gain is, but something is better than nothing.
                            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                            A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

• So much for it was working as intended, huh?

Comment

• well... the old phrase... you can't teach an old dog new tricks, would seem to apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information