Alice logging in Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice logging in Windows 7

Anybody successfull with this? I've tried everything I can think of. Getting desperate...
    Last edited by Bruhast; 08-14-2012, 09:03 AM.

Wow. 40+ views and no replies. I take this to mean that nobody has been able to get the logging function from the alice client to work on a windows 7 computer.

GMs: Please advise.

Players: Have you been able to log with any client on any OS other than XP?

Comment

I've never tried the logging function for the Alice client. What other versions of Windows have you tried and which ones have worked for you in the past? If you had it working on XP I reckon that Vista should work as well given the similarities between the two platforms. It's possible that the Alice client isn't fully compatible with Windows 7. I'm not sure if the Flash and Zealotry clients offer logging options, but that may be worth taking a look in the meantime.

I'll try it tonight and see if I can get it working on a computer with Windows 7. I'm not sure if it matters, but have you tried different internet browsers?

Comment

I have a feeling you are either going to need to add the skotos domain to Trusted sites and lower Trusted Sites ActiveX permission to allow all, or possibly turn off UAC (user access control). I have not looked at either as it has been some time since I've used Alice, but I would start there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruhast View Post
          Anybody successfull with this? I've tried everything I can think of. Getting desperate...
          It's not as easy as it ought to be, but it works.

Using IE9 and Windows 7...

When in the Alice client toggle on logging, it will allow you to specify what you want the log file named and where you want it saved. I chose the normal notepad format and put it on my desktop.

Proceed with playing the game and logging whatever it is you wanted log.

Once you're done, toggle off the logging. Then, toggle it back on. The prompt will come up again, asking you where you want to save your file and in what format. However, while in this window you will be able to see the previous log, at the location you chose to save it prior. Right click on it and open it. Then save it to a different location. Ta-da! You have your log.

It's silly it has to be done like that; I remember it working more smoothly in the previous versions.
          "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

People actually use IE9? O.o
            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
            A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post
              Give it a try. With how unstable and gluttonous both Chrome and Firefox are getting, and how clean IE9 is getting, it is a real option again. Especially for people who find Opera too incompatible for their needs.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
              HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

I just tried it and everything worked fine using Windows 7 and IE 9. Right click on white background + click on logging. Changed the name of the file and made sure the two check boxes were checked at the bottom. Clicked on OK. Logged out of the game and then went to see my desktop. It had the proper file along with the propert text in it. I didn't have to do what Livak described above.

My version of IE is: 9.0.8112.16421

Just for reference, here are the internet options for this computer:

Internet Options / Security : Medium-High
                Protected Mode: Enabled

Internet Options / Private: Medium
                Pop-up blocker: On (Blocking level: Medium)

Internet Options / Advanced: (make sure these are checked)

Browsing: Enable Third Party Browser Extensions
                Security:
                Enable DOM storage
                Enable XMLHTTP support
                Use SSL 3.0
                Use TLS 1.0

I have other things turned on, but they shouldn't play any roles in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post
                  9 is much better than 8. I also find it more stable than Firefox at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                    Give it a try. With how unstable and gluttonous both Chrome and Firefox are getting, and how clean IE9 is getting, it is a real option again. Especially for people who find Opera too incompatible for their needs.
                    I feel like the Chrome and Firefox you're using are different from the Chrome and Firefox I'm using.
                    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                    A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      9 is much better than 8. I also find it more stable than Firefox at this point.
                      9 is definitely more stable than 8. Though I'd still pick Firefox or Chrome over IE from the selection of Add-Ons/Extensions alone. Only reason I open IE anymore is for browser specific tasks.

Comment

Thank you guys so much for helping.

So far, Livak's description is the closest to what I'm experiencing. The logs are being saved, but are only visible using Alice's save as dialog. Windows is trying to enforce it's holy file system by redirecting the path of the actual file and telling the dialog what it wants to see.

As far as finding where the files are actually being saved, no luck there.

Also, if I try to open/save the file from the save file dialog, it saves fine but it removes all the spaces & line breaks from the txt file making it very difficult to read.

*EDIT*

Semi-success!
                        I set Alice to save the logs on a hard disk separate from the system disk. No path trickery or unreadability. Thanks again guys for helping point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruhast View Post
                          Thank you guys so much for helping.

So far, Livak's description is the closest to what I'm experiencing. The logs are being saved, but are only visible using Alice's save as dialog. Windows is trying to enforce it's holy file system by redirecting the path of the actual file and telling the dialog what it wants to see.

As far as finding where the files are actually being saved, no luck there.

Also, if I try to open/save the file from the save file dialog, it saves fine but it removes all the spaces & line breaks from the txt file making it very difficult to read.

*EDIT*

Semi-success!
                          I set Alice to save the logs on a hard disk separate from the system disk. No path trickery or unreadability. Thanks again guys for helping point me in the right direction.
                          Nice! I think the difference between what Uzak posted and what I posted is the fact that he closes the client. I believe that triggers the log file to actually be created. It isn't created in real time.

When you experienced the loss of breaks and spacing, was it an actual real log, or just a test one? I ask because I noticed that if you try to create a log with only a small amount of lines in it that will happen. Try 'filling out' the client a bit first by entering commands that will generate a lot of scroll, like 'who'. Then see if the log file looks better.
                          "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

The process Livak describes would be because IE9 redirects all access to your local computer with ActiveX controls by default for security reasons.

The "Desktop" folder it's actually saving it to is here:

C:\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME_HERE]\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME_HERE]\Desktop

You could just make a shortcut to here so you don't have to move things around and stuff, though if you delete your temporary internet files they will go away, i think.

There should be an option in advanced internet options to change the behavior for trusted sites to not virtualize (redirect) it.
                            Originally posted by glenh
                            Maybe a new 'general' skill called "wait". Which allows you to wait for boats/caravans etc. Each rank could give you a 1% chance not to miss it so at rank 100 you'd be best at catching the boats whilst AFK, and it would also provide a benefit to ranking it up.

Comment

Working...
                            X