Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

In regards to names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In regards to names

The topic of names came up in the Welcome Room one day, and at least of those present, we all shared a common opinion:

It's awful to have a good name you like taken up forever sometimes.

Now, I'm not asking that suddenly names aren't unique anymore, no. But as we talked about it, the common reason a name was taken someone liked was because they rolled up the character and well... their stats were found very lacking. So you're either stuck with a character you don't like for that, or you end up knowing you've forever lost the chance to use that name again.

We brainstormed some ideas, but I think this one stuck out the most.

If a character is only logged in for a short period, say five minutes or something, maybe longer, their name isn't recorded and is free to be re-used. This will cover players who roll a character, check the stats, and found the RNG goddess has mocked them and they want to simply re-do the character and hope for something better.

Alternatively a lot of this could be fixed for some players, if you could simply view the stats before you make the character so you know if you want to keep it or not, or just retry generation.

Now while I understand TEC is a RP MUD and it could be argued stats shouldn't be that important, it's also come up a lot in my experience that while this is somewhat true, there are two stats in particular that are disproportionally favored: Strength and Endurance.

Any other combat-related stat can be overcome due to skills in-game, but Strength and Endurance cannot are only able to be raised via courses and potentials. These two stats tend to make or break a character for some people, and I feel it's just annoying to have a good name for your character, and lose it because your character's stats turned out rubbish.

Thoughts, TEC?

Sort of on topic, but not really.. there should be a command that allows you to see every single name you've used thus far in the WA..

Comment

For the love of god, rerolling should NOT take that name up forever.

Comment

I have many ideas on the subject, but it doesn't seem like CharGen has taken much interest in the GM eyes. I think at the very least, CharGen should let you see your stats before you accept them (the restriction that only permits you to re-roll every day can still be in place), thus negating the need to think of new names. It seems simple enough, considering vet characters have a similar sort of mechanics in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsana View Post
          I have many ideas on the subject, but it doesn't seem like CharGen has taken much interest in the GM eyes. I think at the very least, CharGen should let you see your stats before you accept them (the restriction that only permits you to re-roll every day can still be in place), thus negating the need to think of new names. It seems simple enough, considering vet characters have a similar sort of mechanics in place.
          I'd like to see the stats before we finalize the character as well. As long as people are restricted to rolling only a certain number of times per day.

I'd rather just change the stat system entirely, then there would be no need for this name nonsense. People would still pay basic/premium for the sake of having multiple characters, custom items, among other things. Micro-transactions for custom items possibly? $50-100 for a faceplate? (not pay2win by buying RPs, only items like other micro business models). The RP system was never meant to become a stat fest anyways.

Whatever can stop the re-rolling and having to think up absolutely ridiculous names. I've been trying to hit the exceptional speed drop out of chargen lately so I'm sort of guilty of this.

Comment

Fifty dollars for a faceplate?! Are you crazy? Holy -shit-.

Anyway, the chargen's needed reworking for eons. I do like the suggestions of others' in regards to being able to allot points into the stats you want. Granted, we'd get a shit ton of people with abysmal empathy and judgment, but.

Comment

Originally posted by Attica View Post
              Fifty dollars for a faceplate?! Are you crazy? Holy -shit-.

Anyway, the chargen's needed reworking for eons. I do like the suggestions of others' in regards to being able to allot points into the stats you want. Granted, we'd get a shit ton of people with abysmal empathy and judgment, but.
              Plenty who would pay it. There were people who were banned a few years back for purchasing multiple accounts to trade story points. It's not something that gives your character any real combat advantage.

I really don't think there should be any system in a game that allows you to pay for a mechanical advantage, aka the stat system.

For me, it's the biggest thing holding back any new people I can recruit to the game. If you tell them to just do PvE, or join a group for PvP (which means either a gang or banditry), they aren't too happy. There's a large sub-culture in this game based off gladiatorial competition, and it's a shame to see that dying because we can't retain genuinely new players. The only thing holding us together, is the fact that every time someone quits, someone else from the past shows up to take their place.

The re-rolling for names thing isn't so simple. The -need- to re-roll has to be eliminated.

Comment

I've raised this issue multiple times and in my opinion the current chargen and all that goes with it is hurting the game pretty badly. I know why these changes were made but that doesn't mean it was a good decision.

The easiest fix I can imagine has already been suggested by myself and others which would be to make the characters stats visible before you choose to keep it or not. Furthermore, new players are really the ones getting shafted the most by the current system. Is it really wise to punish them so severely just because some people started abusing trial accounts in order to reroll?

Until you accept the fact stats are hugely important in this game and while said is true then rerolling is going to be a very common place thing. Until stats have less value or getting the desired setup becomes easier then the idea that we need to make rerolling more difficult is just counterintuitive. It's pushing new people away and making it difficult for old players to come back and get into the game. I don't know how many people I know have quit in the past few years because they have no interest in starting over with the current chargen. In fact, if I were to lose my current main and was forced to create a new character now I would probably not play anymore. Maybe I'm just being dramatic but I know plenty who agree with me.

Comment

I just started a new character a few weeks back and it was annoying to not be able to see my stats. Since stats are a huge part of character limitations (who really wants to put a full set of armor on only to find out they can't wear half of it?), it makes interacting difficult. I don't know if my character even has a positive or negative appearance!
                  Originally posted by Ilaxandus
                  Differential equations AGAIN???? FML

Comment

How do you think a genuine new player feels after they spend weeks investing in a new character and learning about the game only to discover that their character, due to stats, wont really be able to compete in this game? Once they understand the perks of having good stats they get left with the options of rerolling until they figure out this overly complex character generation or invest an unfair amount of time, money, and rps into that character. Even if they get lucky and land a few exceptional stats they're always going to be way behind those of us fortunate enough to have characters made before the chargen change.

If we had a steady stream of new players THEN capping the chargen like this would make some sense but the majority of people who play have been playing a long time and this whole system just ends up discouraging growth and keeps the advantage with older players.

AND to top it off it's becoming increasingly difficult to come up with "roman" or good sounding names. At the rate we're going a new player may never get past naming their character before they give up in despair..

Comment

Originally posted by Old Jocephus View Post
                      I just started a new character a few weeks back and it was annoying to not be able to see my stats. Since stats are a huge part of character limitations (who really wants to put a full set of armor on only to find out they can't wear half of it?), it makes interacting difficult. I don't know if my character even has a positive or negative appearance!
                      Fuck that shit. If he has a jew fro, it's automatic inhuman appearance.

Anyway, it was NEVER an issue before, Bucaria. I could reroll a hundred times after deleting a character and still be able to use that character's name. This was just a few years ago, too.

...I still would never pay 50 bucks for a fuggin' faceplate. That is crazy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Attica View Post
                        I do like the suggestions of others' in regards to being able to allot points into the stats you want. Granted, we'd get a shit ton of people with abysmal empathy and judgment, but.
                        Not if there was a base amount in each stat.

Comment

I'd pay for a vet package. Running island and shit sucks balls for the 5th time
                          Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                          Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                          Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
                          It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                          Originally posted by Tale
                          My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Originally posted by sammus12 View Post
                            How do you think a genuine new player feels after they spend weeks investing in a new character and learning about the game only to discover that their character, due to stats, wont really be able to compete in this game? Once they understand the perks of having good stats they get left with the options of rerolling until they figure out this overly complex character generation or invest an unfair amount of time, money, and rps into that character. Even if they get lucky and land a few exceptional stats they're always going to be way behind those of us fortunate enough to have characters made before the chargen change.
                            Amen to that brotha. This has always been a serious bone of contention for me. The PVP aspect of this game is already DOMINATED by a handful of hardcore vet players who've spent years learning the system; it doesn't seem fair that you have to re-roll for months in order to get anything worth playing anymore.

When I rolled Sentael I didn't know how critical stats were. I would have never kept him, and that's the truth. But after spending months training him, it was too hard to just delete and start over. Sure, statskills help, but low-end exceptional dex doesn't stand a chance against top-end inhuman agility, or visa-versa.

A lot of people who play video games like PVP. The odds of rolling a PVP capable character on your first try through dumb luck is slim to none. By the time you get enough peoples' MSN to figure out you're only ever going to be sub-par with fairly good speed and above average dexterity you've already invested hours and hours developing a character (skills and RP wise). Deleting to re-roll is shitty, and going on knowing you'll never be that good is worse.

Why do the same players have godly characters over and over? Because they know how to beat the system. It's not right. The playing field should be leveled and something has got to be done about stats.

We need to attract and retain more players to our game. So if you were a player and just scratching the surface of TEC; would you really want to keep playing a character after you found out they're completely shit? Odds are you'd just quit and find some other game where you actually had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentael View Post
                              So if you were a player and just scratching the surface of TEC; would you really want to keep playing a character after you found out they're completely shit?
                              That's how I felt after switching to whips. But I guess if I keep switching weapons, it'll actually keep me around and in the game long enough to finally finish my stats.

I think it's impossible to hit the exceptional speed drop in chargen anymore, so I can't find a fast enough alt I like.

Most of the people I know who have tried this game, are solely interested in combat and mostly competitive PvP. It pains me to tell them to spend endless hours online, with absolutely zero life to reach a point where you can compete in the top ten. They seem to have no interest in non-com's due to coming from other MUDs where you simply hack and slash.

If we had enough players to maintain a lower-tier of fighters, it wouldn't be much of a complaint. I'd gladly give up my invested RP's to retain newer players, but I doubt the business model can be changed that easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X