Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

In regards to names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Attica View Post
    I knew it.

I'm making a noob. I want someone to play with me. PLAY.
    Did any of you guys miss this?

You'll never get more incentive to play a newbie than this.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20090706

Comment

Originally posted by roadstrom View Post
      Did any of you guys miss this?

You'll never get more incentive to play a newbie than this.
      I sincerely hope that isn't sarcasm, pops. In terms of TEC lore, history, and information, I would say I'm a fairly good source and could enrich anyone's gameplay that enjoys the RP aspect.

I would say 2-3 people have stuck around longer than a month, but I really am bad at keeping up with players since my last, main character interacted with gobs and gobs of different characters. I do know of 2 in particular that are fabulous newbies and bring a hell of a lot to the game, or at least, they did to my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsana View Post
        You can turn newbie status off after two weeks by typing @newbie.
        You can do that for a character but not for the account. Account has a newbie status too and it can be changed after a month. If this was changed recently then i may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Attica View Post
          I sincerely hope that isn't sarcasm, pops.
          No, it was not. Similarly, it was not flattery.

Just the facts, Ma'am.
          Last edited by roadstrom; 08-21-2012, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentael View Post
            Whenever I get a new game, I always love to read about it. The more I read about it, the more I want to play it. I'm not sure why, but I don't think I'm alone. When I wasn't playing Skyrim, I was reading how to make better potions. When I wasn't playing BF3, I was reading assault rifle reviews by other players. It helps to shed your newbie skin quickly, and get into the meat of the game as soon as possible.
            Lol you're not alone, I sat around looking at all the recoil and ranges for various ARs so that I could maximize the range... also searched around for the quickest way to become a vampire on Skyrim. Just wish someone would have told me they completely sucked when compared to the ones from Oblivion

But any sort of updated guide for TEC would be great, it sucks when you can't recall the weight of armor or item and the most reliable way to check is to drop it and pick it up.

We do get a few new players once in a while, you can usually tell by their thoughts or the questions they ask. But there are also a lot of vets who do a terrible job of pretending to be a new player.

Comment

Originally posted by lykatos View Post
              Lol you're not alone, I sat around looking at all the recoil and ranges for various ARs so that I could maximize the range... also searched around for the quickest way to become a vampire on Skyrim. Just wish someone would have told me they completely sucked when compared to the ones from Oblivion

But any sort of updated guide for TEC would be great, it sucks when you can't recall the weight of armor or item and the most reliable way to check is to drop it and pick it up.

We do get a few new players once in a while, you can usually tell by their thoughts or the questions they ask. But there are also a lot of vets who do a terrible job of pretending to be a new player.
              We really need like a WEIGH command. It would make that so, so much easier...

And man, amazing how I bring up names, and we got into all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
                And man, amazing how I bring up names, and we got into all of this.
                Sorry about that. The name issue is definitely a big part of this problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by lykatos View Post

I still enjoy looking at the players guide from time to time to brush up on my lore, and remind myself of the old days. I miss Vino's Vineyard and Sewer Dog. I used to love searching through those. Annatar's page was still half up last time I looked too.

I still have all my old PC games with manuals as thick as a paperback. These new games with only tutorials and toilet paper manuals suck. I miss curling up to a good read before I even popped the game in to play it.

Kudos to Sentael for working on a new info site.

Comment

Originally posted by sammus12 View Post
                    Sorry about that. The name issue is definitely a big part of this problem though.
                    It's alright, the two problems are related after all - people don't (usually) delete a character over something that can be fixed easily, so I imagine the highest rate of "wasted" names is over poor stat rolls.

I worry for newbies actually, as they can't even view their stats for like, what, two+ weeks? They have no way to really tell what they got until that newbie status expires.

Comment

It's alright, the two problems are related after all - people don't (usually) delete a character over something that can be fixed easily, so I imagine the highest rate of "wasted" names is over poor stat rolls.
                      I've wasted so many great names these past few years and it kinda pisses me off. I'm particular about using "good" names and I started noticing it took longer and longer to find ones that would take. I can still do it but then I start to think about all the other names of characters that never got a chance.. good names..cool character ideas.. well, now I don't bother.

Comment

TEC 16 years old
                        TEC with Skotos 12 years
                        Player complaints of Char Gen?
                        Originally posted by Sceadu
                        It WILL be monitored.

Comment

We really need like a WEIGH command. It would make that so, so much easier...
                          Ten denars weigh a pound. So you can easily weigh things to a tenth of a pound.

I don't know how much 10 arrows weigh, or 10 eggs. or 10 pieces of vellum. It might be possible to get it a lot finer.

Comment

Originally posted by Giant View Post
                            TEC 16 years old
                            TEC with Skotos 12 years
                            Player complaints of Char Gen?
                            ?

The new chargen and newbie status is only a few years old.

Comment

Working...
                            X