Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

Why and how

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why and how

The why is fairly straightforward; people aren't enjoying themselves as much thus we lose players. Everyone has their own reasons but the general opinion seems to be simply that TEC is stale. I, personally, don't usually find myself wanting to play but since I can at least play my main I do end up finding some time. Still, it's hard to commit to the game itself.

How do you reverse this trend? Two things have to be looked at; role-play and investment versus reward. A lot could be said on role-play but all I'll say is that it's a GM's job to lead by example. Do you know why Jenn and others were so great? It's because they spent more time role-playing with us than anything else. It's your job to create the world and bring it to life, just like in any other role-playing game. We don't need half a dozen GMs doing nothing but coding. At this point we need one or two coding and the rest playing with the player-base. It doesn't matter if there are 50 players on or 5, if you try to engage the player-base, all of it, then you will win loyalty, promote RP, and keep people from leaving.

The second aspect of the problem is the time/investment versus reward. It has basically stayed the same since early 2000 when people were more accepting of the type of investment TEC requires. With everything we have today, people's attention spans are much shorter; or in other words no one has the patience for a dying game that is expensive, stale, and requires large quantities of time-played usually without immediate reward. It just can't compete and that has nothing to do with it being text or not. It's all game-play.

I've suggested multiple solutions in the past but I keep coming back to the idea that TEC needs to streamline it's character creation. Instead of trying to change the current chargen much more, you could create a third option off of the current vet package. These characters would be free, easily rerolled with high stat potential and control, and completely mortal(as in removing the coma safeguard). Taking it further, I would add an option to spend RPs in this chargen to get special perks, like better stats, equipment, traits, skills, or whatever else can be thought of. I'd make it much cheaper as well, and create options for creating NPCs. 5 RPs and you can be a rat in the sewers! That kind of stuff.

I think the idea speaks for itself, and everyone who has already been here investing time will not be hurt. This isn't everything that could be done but if you want to address the loss of players and the lack of new ones to fill them, role-play and time versus reward are a good place to start.

Personally I don't think charagen needs a change, so much as people need to stop caring about their stats so much. But that's a personal choice.

I do think some changes to the RP system might be in order. With the massive amount of games out there now, not that many people have the time to play TEC for the hundreds, or thousands, of hours it takes to earn some of that stuff. Either RPs need to be rewarded in larger amounts, faster, or the cost of things needs to be adjusted - cosmetic things, like scars, shouldn't cost 200RPs (which to me is an investment of 50 hours).

We really need a way to not only retain, but also gain more members I think too. The only way I can think of though is either for TEC to not stay P2P and become F2P, or at least a more appealing free package where you can maybe still gain RPs, but have only one character slot or something unless you obtain more...

Comment

Having freebie accounts be able to gain RP might open the F2P side of things up. I think though yes, these days the RP costs are a bit high. 1RP/hr to freebies and I dunno more than what we're getting for paid and prems (you can work out what figures you want). That way, if you're playing for free, you can still save for your luck point or whatever else you're going to spend your RP on so you get hooked wanting that 2000RP and end up paying anyway so you don't have to spend a year to get it.
      "Live to fight another day." -- Laverous Solaris

Comment

Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
        Personally I don't think charagen needs a change, so much as people need to stop caring about their stats so much. But that's a personal choice.

I do think some changes to the RP system might be in order. With the massive amount of games out there now, not that many people have the time to play TEC for the hundreds, or thousands, of hours it takes to earn some of that stuff. Either RPs need to be rewarded in larger amounts, faster, or the cost of things needs to be adjusted - cosmetic things, like scars, shouldn't cost 200RPs (which to me is an investment of 50 hours).

We really need a way to not only retain, but also gain more members I think too. The only way I can think of though is either for TEC to not stay P2P and become F2P, or at least a more appealing free package where you can maybe still gain RPs, but have only one character slot or something unless you obtain more...
        I feel like something like my "disposable character idea" kind of addresses the problem we have with appealing to new players. Also, if the role-play is good that will also appeal to a lot of people. TEC has potentially a great combination of mechanical and role-play aspects that aren't currently being utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by sammus12 View Post
          I feel like something like my "disposable character idea" kind of addresses the problem we have with appealing to new players. Also, if the role-play is good that will also appeal to a lot of people. TEC has potentially a great combination of mechanical and role-play aspects that aren't currently being utilized.
          Actually that idea sounds more like making the "NPC" options being more appealing. As they stand now, I hear if you make one, people just tend to PK them because they... can.

I do think, upon more thought, that the RP system needs a looking over. The prices were always high, but years ago there was considerably less games out on the market to really take up people's time. Nowadays, games are everywhere and it can be hard for someone to justify playing TEC for the hundreds of hours you need to get some of that stuff.

Comment

Think of it like this.. you'd have your "heroes" who are hard to kill and superior in the long haul and then your ordinary PCs, like any other NPC who starts with good stats and some skill but is limited in further attribute advancement or whatever else seems fair. The worst penalty, of course, is that anyone could walk up and kill your character at no cost. Not only that, every sticky situation in hunting grounds or anywhere else IG could potentially be fatal.

I'm pretty sure my idea would bring not only excitement and danger but also making it easier for new and old players to commit to the game because it will take less time and therefore less importance put on your character(investment) while protecting current investments into the game.

Regardless of whats done, the value of RPs needs to be reexamined. The penalties put on character creation also doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
            X