Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altene's in Battle

Couple of RP questions:

1) Do Altene's loot the dead? If so, are there some they prefer to not loot such as good opponents?
    2) I imagine a group dedicated to warfare parties hard when they survive a fight. Am I right to think that?
    3) They hate gladiators or just do not understand the sport and the men and women in it?

While I am thinking of it, would the GMs be open to players expanding on the other cultures? I think the Altene help files are the most extensive minus those of Iridine.
    Nothing much to say.

Expanding upon cultural documentation was something I was hoping to do as GM. I will bring it up to the powers that be and see what they say. Maybe we can player collaborate on this!

To answer your questions:
    For playability, I think Altenes would loot opponents/enemies. I think it would be a personal choice. They are an island of mercenaries after all.
    Again, partying hard can be interpreted in many ways. I'm sure some Altenes would drink and smoke. Others might meditate and rest after completion of a hard 'assignment'.
    Altenes, to me, do not understand blood sports. Fighting is their way of life and showboating isn't something they're keen on.

Comment

Open to player input on this, Roast?
      Originally posted by Mast3rmind
      Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
      Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
      Ravenlark pats you.
      Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Originally posted by Vladmir View Post
        Open to player input on this, Roast?
        I think yes. The above was only my opinion. Except for the gladiator bit! That is something that many Altene characters have enacted from the help files all on their own.

Comment

Not that gladiatorial fighting in TEC ever seems to showboaty, given it just tends to be brutal beatdowns... *eyeshift*

Comment

Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
            Not that gladiatorial fighting in TEC ever seems to showboaty, given it just tends to be brutal beatdowns... *eyeshift*

Some people are working to change this a bit though.
            Don't tread on me.

Comment

I am open to suggestions from players based on their experiences, lore, etc. I'm trying to stay in line with what Bian and the help files suggest, but am also trying to add more depth to my characters. Suggest away and thanks so far.
              Nothing much to say.

Comment

Here's my thoughts on the three questions offered.

Originally posted by roast View Post
                1) Do Altene's loot the dead? If so, are there some they prefer to not loot such as good opponents?
                My take on this has always been that Altenes are soldiers, not honor-bound Samurai warriors. Practicality rules the day, and if it's practical to take equipment from the enemy, then I don't see any reason they wouldn't.

In a war situation, it prevents said equipment from being used against them, in addition to any use or profit they might get out of it.

Also, mercenaries typically supplement their income via plunder. Even in situations where they're not plundering civilians (ordered not too, officer feels it's bad PR, etc....) plundering the enemy is probably not discouraged.

As far as particular Altene characters choosing not to do so...well, of course. There could be all kinds of reasons that an individual Altene might decide he doesn't want to do that, depending on the situation, his own worldview, etc.

2) I imagine a group dedicated to warfare parties hard when they survive a fight. Am I right to think that?
                Again going from the soldier angle, I'd say this is common. If one broody bastard wants to go sit by himself drinking in the dark, afterward, though, I doubt they'd care, so long as he pulls his own weight.

Being relied on to watch your partner's back and pull your own weight (which relates to keeping ones word) is high on their 'good qualities' list, I'd think.

3) They hate gladiators or just do not understand the sport and the men and women in it?
                This, again, would depend on the individual.

One guy might get pissed off at the very thought of these showboating pansies passing themselves off as fighters. Another might think it's entertaining to watch these stuffed peacocks with their fancy swords do wild-ass moves that'd get you killed on the battlefield, while at the same time thinking 'Erai, I'd get stabbed in the gut if I tried that'.

Imagine Marines watching the WWE.
                Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bian View Post
                  Expanding upon cultural documentation was something I was hoping to do as GM. I will bring it up to the powers that be and see what they say. Maybe we can player collaborate on this!

To answer your questions:
                  For playability, I think Altenes would loot opponents/enemies. I think it would be a personal choice. They are an island of mercenaries after all.
                  Again, partying hard can be interpreted in many ways. I'm sure some Altenes would drink and smoke. Others might meditate and rest after completion of a hard 'assignment'.
                  Altenes, to me, do not understand blood sports. Fighting is their way of life and showboating isn't something they're keen on.
                  I believe Uzak is working on a Wiki. Might be a good place for additional cultural knowledge.
                  A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                  A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                  A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post
                    I believe Uzak is working on a Wiki. Might be a good place for additional cultural knowledge.
                    Yes, but I would hope not just anything is approved, edited, or what have you. After all, Sarah Jessica Parker's wiki page listed her as a horse instead of female for a long time.

And Vladmir, I wouldn't say that it is solely up to the Altene. They grow up in a society that is quite rigid, from what I gather from the documentation:

Altenes live the simple, hard-working lives of soldiers, with a soldier's
                    philosophical view of things. They are usually straightforward to the point
                    of painful bluntness, seeing no value in dissembling or padding the truth.
                    They are stand-offish with foreigners, and usually make friends outside of
                    their own people slowly, preferring to see the whole worth of a person
                    before committing to any kind of relationship. They are not boasters, knowing
                    their worth and prowess and not needing to display it to prove themselves.
                    In this vein, many of them are contemptuous of gladiators, or 'show-fighters',
                    whose flamboyant costumes and swirling showy fighting tactics seem to them
                    the height of foolishness and wasted motion.

Comment

And Vladmir, I wouldn't say that it is solely up to the Altene. They grow up in a society that is quite rigid, from what I gather from the documentation:
                      i look at the game provided info as a base guideline for rolling a character

that said my character i guess would be the complete opposite of whats listed in all that documentation (the history and rp fits for her though)

at any rate if youre looking to add some depth to your character by all means use what you find in the wiki and such, or do like me and write up a complete opposite history and stick with it the thing to remember is that characters should always evolve through time even if a little bit and not be the same exact character now as they might have been back in 1999 we all evolve as people in what we do with time right?
                      Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
                      Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

And Vladmir, I wouldn't say that it is solely up to the Altene. They grow up in a society that is quite rigid...
                        Sure, and that's certainly what I'd call the baseline model. But as with all baselines there will be variations on, diversions from and complete reversals of the norm.

Using the gladiator thing as an example, a skilled enough Altene swordsman watching arena games might realize that, despite the showboating, that one fighter shows balance, poise, and the reflexes one would expect of a respectable warrior.

He thus might decide there's more to all this than just showboating and dancing around naked while pretty girls throw rose petals at you.

On the other hand maybe he likes the pretty girls throwing rose petals.

In any case, every single human is a product of both their society and their individual perceptions, desires, impulses, etc, which is why I stressed individual variations.

The passage quoted, for example, uses the words 'usually' and 'most'. Rigid society or not, there will be all kinds of interesting variations on the "stereotypical" Altene.
                        Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

Of course. It is simply something that most players disregard, however, which is why most of these are "up to the character" issues. I would hope that those sorts of characters that do not conform to the documentation, even in a slight way, would be the exception as opposed to the rule.

Comment

This question was posed with the stereotypical Altene in mind, Im sure. It probably had nothing to do with the "lone wolf" or the exception to the rule.

Sure, you can make your character however you want from where ever you want. Nobody is stopping you. Why argue about how a specific Altene person acts when the question that was asked had the general population in mind?

Self-important much?

Comment

I would hope that those sorts of characters that do not conform to the documentation, even in a slight way, would be the exception as opposed to the rule.
                              Well, most PCs...in any game...are going to be a special snowflake in one way or the other (some small, some large). Defining the stereotype for others to riff on is what all the unseen Altenes are for.

Kinda how extras in movies show you how the monster works.

From my own perspective, my primary character would be extremely suspicious of anyone who conformed perfectly to the Altene stereotype. Anyone who meets expectations to that degree is probably up to no good.

I consider that attitude to be very Altene, personally.*shifts his eyes about suspiciously*
                              Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

Working...
                              X