Altene's in Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bian View Post
    Yes, but I would hope not just anything is approved, edited, or what have you. After all, Sarah Jessica Parker's wiki page listed her as a horse instead of female for a long time.
    Yes, well the Uzak-lead Wiki is private. For now at least.

Originally posted by Bian View Post
    It is simply something that most players disregard, however, which is why most of these are "up to the character" issues.
    I think some intentionally disregard, but more are probably just uninformed. For a game that's been around for over a decade, the help files can be somewhat lacking and in some cases, horribly outdated. These forums are probably a hundred times more useful, but much harder to navigate. I really hope to see more cultural, political and religious information easily available to the public.
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
    A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by roast View Post
      Couple of RP questions:

1) Do Altene's loot the dead? If so, are there some they prefer to not loot such as good opponents?
      Yes. They're pragmatic warriors. They offer warrior's respect though, so if they fomd a specific opponent particularly worthy they might leave him unbothered, or they might paint an open eye on his forehead, or alternatively might take his weapon as a trophy and never sell it.
      2) I imagine a group dedicated to warfare parties hard when they survive a fight. Am I right to think that?
      That is entirely based on the individual unit and attitudes? And on the individuals therein? But yes, most warriors drink heavily and sex up roughly after surviving a battle and before going to one.
      3) They hate gladiators or just do not understand the sport and the men and women in it?
      That's Cinerans. Altenes have no specific cultural aversion to 'show fighters', and have never responded in any way to the concept of gladiating in past representation. And plenty of altenes have become gladiators. Cinerans on the other-hand consider gladiating barbaric and degrading. Are there certain altenes who would think it barbaric? Sure. Just like there are some Iridinians that do.

While I am thinking of it, would the GMs be open to players expanding on the other cultures? I think the Altene help files are the most extensive minus those of Iridine.
      Gms have had an unstated policy of approval regarding player submitted help files and expansions of the setting, for years. If it is well enough written and they like it, they will pitch it to the 'council'

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
      HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonus View Post
        I think some intentionally disregard, but more are probably just uninformed. For a game that's been around for over a decade, the help files can be somewhat lacking and in some cases, horribly outdated. These forums are probably a hundred times more useful, but much harder to navigate. I really hope to see more cultural, political and religious information easily available to the public.
        And, to be honest, a lot of the Altenes are probably just picked for being able to get Athletic trait for "free".

*eyeshift*

Comment

". They are not boasters, knowing their worth and prowess and not needing to display it to prove themselves. In this vein, many of them are contemptuous of gladiators, or ‘show-fighters’, whose flamboyant costumes and swirling showy fighting tactics seem to them the height of foolishness and wasted motion.". players handbook

otherwise completely agree with Armatann
          Bring it on you lovers of flame it turns my crank.

Slave to RP.

We believe in euthanasia here in TEC. We'll kill you any time, just ask.-Tale

Comment

Reading all of this has been extremely helpful. I have taken a close look at my character and will be making a few adjustments to the way he reacts to things and approaches certain situations.

In historical context, would you say more Germanic vis-a-vis Caesar's mercenary cavalry? At first I wanted to say Spartan, but only a little in terms of their dedication to combat and oaths.
            Nothing much to say.

Comment

they always seamed like a mix of Norse, Spartan, and Irish or Scottish to me

Slave to RP.

Comment

I play there view of honor and oaths almost exactly like Spartan, where everyone else in the world may disagree but they feel themselves the most honorable made the flaw where you feel you are superior easy for me to play.

Slave to RP.

Comment

The Altenes are based on Glen Cook's "The Black Company".

Read that novel, to see how they should be portrayed, as far as stereotypical Altene.

Nearly every Altene in Iridine has abandoned their people and their duties though, so they are free to break cultural stereotypes as they see fit.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                    The Altenes are based on Glen Cook's "The Black Company".
                    Ya' know, I haven't read those in a while...might have just found something to do this weekend. Bought the first couple when Jenn told me they were Altene source material.
                    Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                    Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                    Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                    Ravenlark pats you.
                    Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Good books. Worth reading for any fantasy fan. And they happen to be valuable for TEC players since they are nearly canon for the setting.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

so 3 books in not sure i fully agree they are what Altene are in game....

as to the book WTH well we need an answer so now we gave them planes and daisy cutters and guided missiles.....Not sure I will finish the series it is getting retarded

Slave to RP.

Comment

They really are based on that book. Like... 'officially' based on that book. From the mouth of Scott, and Jenn, and heard by several of us.

But that said!

Yeah, I should clarify that much like Ender's Game, I only can really recommend the first 2-3.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Anyone have it on Kindle that wants to loan it? I have officially spent more on ebooks and booze than food in the past few months.

Comment

Booze is food. It fills the 'sodium' catagory on the table.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                                Booze is food. It fills the 'sodium' catagory on the table.
                                I approve, and just sat down to start book one. With scotch...and a cigar.
                                Nothing much to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X