Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Call for Documentation and Ideas: Windward!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of the cities in the Republic of Iridine category in character creation have bare minimum fleshing out also... then again, those all just count as "Iridine" for creation anyway.

I do have a Windward character... I haven't thought too horribly much beyond having her have worked in the mines before (to explain her pale skin, lacking in sunlight). Hmm...

Comment

Maybe there could be Windwardian separatists that actually consider themselves Selmites and want the island to return to the Kingdom of Tuchea. They could have links to Tuchean smugglers and pirates who might be secretly assisting them with the private blessing of the King of Tuchea. They might use the symbol of Tuchea, rather than whatever symbol the Iridinians instituted when they changed the name of the island from Selm to Windward.
      Don't tread on me.

Comment

For a point of reference, this comes directly from the TEC Player's Guide, page 32:

"Windward
        Known to the natives and Tucheans as Selm, the island was renamed Windward after the Republic of Iridine assumed control of it. The island's mountainous West Coast is famous for its rich copper mines, while the sloping East Coast is green and fertile, if somewhat narrow. The inhabitants are resilient and stubborn, and many of the elders of the island were alive during the Second Aestivan War. Most of the younger folks have a tendency to leave Windward in search of wealth and glory on the mainland. Because of this, the population has been decreasing steadily for over three decades.

Appearance
        The people of Windward have tough, leathery skin from lifetimes in the fields or in the mines. They tend to be darker than Iridinians, though only a little. They are shorter than average, due to the relatively small amount of meat in their diets, and are stock rather than fat. Many Windwarders are surprisingly strong and enduring, both qualities required for their tough work. The islanders are commonly said to be rather slow and dense. Many have gone to great lengths to refute this accusation, but with little success - the rhythm of island life just goes against them.

Cultural Traits
        Faith in Windward is secondary. As expected they pay lip service to Ereal mainly because of the large contingent of Iridine citizens now working on the island. No great festival takes place on Windward and no great ceremony is observed. Windwarders also tend to pay some respect to the Tuchean pantheon and some of the fishermen give praise to the Cenathen sea god. All of this is done more by rote than by any strong faith. Work and daily life is their true religion."
        Don't tread on me.

Comment

Is there any more information regarding the Tuchean pantheon anywhere? That could apply to Windward background, as well as any info about the Cenathen sea god.
          Don't tread on me.

Comment

My Windwardian who I played for years (Sanna) was darker than Iridinians (coppery--heh, I sort of did that as a reference to the island's resource) because I figured it was more in line with the background information and the historical relationship with Tuchea. I had her with light eyes, and I though that might be something that set them apart from either country. I picture Windwardians physically as descendants of biracial people. I also think they are physically strong, because due to the nature of the island, you either are good at mining or farming, or you leave one way or another and take your genetic material with you.

She always referred to the island as Selm. She grew up as the daughter of a shopkeeper in one of the mining towns. I had a backstory that involved her promising to get off the island, and when he died of old age (he was an elderly father), she sold the shop and went to Iridine. She was stubborn and reserved, which I saw as cultural. She was a teetotaller because many island residents turned to drink to occupy their time outside of work, and could be prone to alcoholism. She was proud to be an Iridinian, because like many islanders, she saw being a part of the Republic as better than being ruled by Tuchea as slaves.

A couple of things I remember her saying about Selm:

-Most villages held singing/musical competitions, but she never could take part as she was tone deaf.
            -Lots of people were good at cards as gambling was a way to pass time.
            -She wasn't particularly religious and had never been to a temple of Ereal before coming to Iridine despite there being one on the island along with smaller shrines. She did however have a really strong sense of right and wrong.
            -She was probably more modern with the idea of slavery than would normally seen as IC. She didn't oppose it per se, but she wasn't exactly a fan due to her country's history and the change in fortunes after Iridine annexed the island.
            -She was also probably more egalitarian than would be normal simply because culturally, hard work was valued over birth status.

The last two might seem lazy excuses for justifying slightly modern beliefs, but I have had no problem playing people who revelled in the Iridinian class system (I have played a retainer for a patrician house for example). I spent a lot of time thinking about Sanna both when I created her and while playing her, and it seemed to me that Windward's unique history made people who were different. I wish I still had my notes, and if I knew this would have eventually been done, I would have given them to the GMs.

ETA: To be clear, I do not think that their past justifies playing someone who is overtly sarcastic to patricians or operating a Iridinian style underground railroad. Sanna was always respectful to the systems that kept the country going, but that doesn't mean she believed they weren't anything other than traditional. She might have respect for the way a patrician works to run a court or the games, but that doesn't mean she believes they were born as betters.

I am in no way going to tell people how to develop their characters, but I doubt many Windwardians would wax nostalgic for Tuchea or feel they had the resources to run things on their own. I think most are pragmatic, and see being a part of the Republic as an opportunity, even if it is just the opportunity to move to Iridine with a small amount of status.

I think it is really easy to play characters that are sort of strict interpretations of help-files, but I think it's better to play nuanced characters. I would hate to see Windwardians turn into some weird revolutionary caricature. With any character I think there should be more to it than meets the eye, and I think this is especially the case with Windwardians. There's a lot more going on beneath the surface if you will.

Comment

Hi, this is Bidsmuth's player. I've forgotten my log in so am hijacking my wife's account to post this!
              I tried to play Bidsmuth as close to a Selmite as possible, based on the help files. He was a black man, with blue eyes (dark skin and lighter eyes are definitely a trait of the Selm people). He was tall, but taller than many in his homeland, as the vast majority of Selmite's are small/ average height.
              Definitely mining and farming were what they were known for. However the Selm fishermen are seemingly forgotten about, despite how good they are!
              The one thing I do recall was something about Spirit animals. Bidsmuth's was a bear. I can't remember where that came from exactly. I don't know where my old notes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrot Flower View Post
                The one thing I do recall was something about Spirit animals. Bidsmuth's was a bear. I can't remember where that came from exactly. I don't know where my old notes are.
                I think the spirit animals were separate.

I've been mulling over the whole thing, and I'd personally think that some tension could exist between those who've taken to life in Chalcicus and those who think they are putting on airs. Politically, officially the island would now be like any other outpost of the Republic except it would be one with a relatively large, pseudo-cosmopolitan city. It would be very provincial, but some people may be trying to improve the culture and standing of the island. Perhaps these people adopt romanised "Iridinian-style" names that are really weird adaptations to native names. They give up their utilitarian clothing for more ornate togas and dresses. They may out Iridine the Iridinians.

Others are happy to just live their lives in the mines, farms, and fishing villages on the island. Those who are happy with neither Chalcicus or the villages leave.

Originally posted by Bian View Post
                Culture - Seafaring, hardworking, but submissive people? I say submissive due to the fact that they've bowed down to occupancy by not just one, but two different countries in their history - Tuchea and Iridine.

[...]

Cities - Someone be creative here, though they wouldn't be grand economic or trading hubs or harbors, I'm sure.
                I don't know if seafaring should really be emphasised. Of course, they are an island nation, and this description was definitely apt in the ancient past. However, after they were devastated by natural disasters and corrupt leadership, that culture was lost (and the player guide says that).

This also means that when Tuchea came, they were able to get their crap together. Tuchea brought know-how and organisation, but also food and equipment. When Iridine took over, they were again able to better their fortunes by owning and managing their own land and to hold citizenship in the Republic. I think it's less about submissiveness and more about pragmatism.

As for cities, I always pictured the island dotted with hamlets. Maybe there could be a central hub town that was about a day's journey from most points in the island, including the new city of Chalcicus. People wishing to bring goods to the port city end up there before heading onto Chalcicus. Perhaps the Republic built a road between Chalcicus and this hub town to aid in travel. The hub town would be known for its inns and have a district with prostitutes and bars where miners and agricultural workers go to spend their earnings.
                Last edited by Carrot Flower; 09-08-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Bump.

I think I had Karsa started calling it Selm simply because it sounded closer to something that was foreign but not too foreign. I imagine the landscaping to be something like a mix of Colorado/Scotland: cold, with major mountains one side and arid, dry land that was rich in minerals and metals on the other side. Karsa also started off as something of an agnostic as a clash between the materialistic beliefs of the Tucheans and the semi-fanatical beliefs of the Iridines. He was also pretty far removed from the First War (Selm falling to the Tucheans) and not as quite as removed from the Second War (Iridine's "liberation", which I imagined that many people were skeptical of), which made him unsure of what to believe in terms of beliefs, cultures, and other ideals. He did have knowledge and ideas that seem to come from covens or separate, fanatical communities that often dot sparsely populated land.

In terms of colors, Karsa always claimed the colors of Selm were white and green, representing the stark contrasts that take place in the country itself. White for mountains bleached by strong winds, but the green grasses that can grow on the right side of the mountain.

In terms of Selm, I never imagined the "kingdom" being anything close to as civilized, constructed, or maintained like Iridine or even Cinera. Given their limited resources, a provincial attitude due to rough seas around the area that prevented trade, and plenty of self-fighting, I would imagine the culture to be exceptionally introverted but not going too far in terms of progress, study, or technology.

The idea of Selm being it's own kingdom delved a bit from second generation concept thinking of what the world of Midlight was. It seemed at the time that Iridine and Cinera were actually sons of some sort of Israelite, Abraham type of figure. I imagined that the different countries were either real or imaginary aspects of some different tribe that migrated to the land long, long ago. I say "second generation" because Cinerans, who seem to be originally conceived as dark-skinned, loud, drunken, and barbaric, had a drastic change some time and became more like taller Iridinians. It was an interesting concept. I wanted to have a character that was removed from already conceived and perceived identities so that such a concept could applied somewhere else in the game world.

Well, that's my couple of cents. Sorry it took so long. Starting a new job and all that.

Comment

In case people aren't aware, if we go by the idea that Tuchea is Carthage and Iridine is Rome, Windward is probably a mixture of both Corsica and Sardinia, especially the latter.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information