No announcement yet.

Sparring in leda's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparring having a lower SP gain is just a balancing feature. If it gave as much SP as actual fighting, who would ever fight anymore?

Fighting an enemy out to actually hurt you means you risk HP loss and injuries, in addition to fatigue. Tapping one another with your weapons only risks fatigue. You don't learn as much from just tapping someone for days, compared to fighting someone to the death.

Comment

Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
      Sparring having a lower SP gain is just a balancing feature. If it gave as much SP as actual fighting, who would ever fight anymore?
      If you wanted to make money is one reason.
      "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Livak View Post
        If you wanted to make money is one reason.
        While true, given PCs train for absolutely free with 0 downsides, and most people just hand out free armor and weapons... you can avoid having to ever train on anything living, and just hunt when you need it.

Comment

While true, given PCs train for absolutely free with 0 downsides, and most people just hand out free armor and weapons... you can avoid having to ever train on anything living, and just hunt when you need it.
          What is your argument about the folks who only hunt at say... the vale? There is zero risk there. Or those who train their characters blocks in order to be immune to all gladiators? There is no risk there at all either. We all train our characters to be able to handle each hunting ground until it because just a SP generator. How is gaining 1/4 SP from sparring a balancing feature for this?

All it does it make us not want to use it at all still.

Raphael, what exactly are you looking to create for sparring? Perhaps we can suggest some numbers for you if we know your thoughts on the whole idea of sparring?

Comment

My main restrictions are that I don't want the same gains as going out to a hunting ground, and I don't want you to be able to gain a full cycle just from sparring.

I want sparring to be an alternative, not the main way to train.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              My main restrictions are that I don't want the same gains as going out to a hunting ground, and I don't want you to be able to gain a full cycle just from sparring.

I want sparring to be an alternative, not the main way to train.
              How about making SP gain from sparring available at 100% gains for a .33 the SP cycle? That is a third of the total SP for the week. Not completely sure how others feel about this suggestion.

I like the starting point being at 100% gains to make sparring viable. The amount of time we are allowed to gain at 100% could be tweaked. Perhaps .33 which is 1/3rd?

Comment

It could just be me but I know I would never spar if I wasnt gaining as much as I could be somewhere else. Zenerai has a very valid point about being immune to danger at several hunting grounds, which seems to be the focus on why SP shouldnt be given in full. There is no danger after a certain point in the colosseum. There is no danger in the vale. There is no danger on Signaltower Island (no people either). There is no danger at the Sands after a point. Ravines, treehouse, burnt villa, all hunting grounds except a very select few pose any danger to any character after a certain point.

How does something going from 0 benefit to some benefit hurt new players
                New characters and new players arent the same.

Comment

Here would be a different twist...

How about instead of practice sparring, you can have a full contact blood spar which leads to 5x normal SP gains, up until 100sp. The numbers can change, but it would give a benefit to actual sparring and fighting in the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
                    What is your argument about the folks who only hunt at say... the vale? There is zero risk there. Or those who train their characters blocks in order to be immune to all gladiators? There is no risk there at all either. We all train our characters to be able to handle each hunting ground until it because just a SP generator. How is gaining 1/4 SP from sparring a balancing feature for this?

All it does it make us not want to use it at all still.

Raphael, what exactly are you looking to create for sparring? Perhaps we can suggest some numbers for you if we know your thoughts on the whole idea of sparring?
                    Not true. There is still a risk, you can just make it incredibly small. Even at perfect guards, you always have a 4% chance of being hit, and in those cases you can still get crippling injuries.

Sparring has an absolute 0 chance of hurting you. Never will a spar in Practice Mode make you sustain any injury whatsoever.

Comment

Not true. There is still a risk, you can just make it incredibly small. Even at perfect guards, you always have a 4% chance of being hit, and in those cases you can still get crippling injuries.

Sparring has an absolute 0 chance of hurting you. Never will a spar in Practice Mode make you sustain any injury whatsoever.
                      A 95/100 roll is not going to give you any major injuries.

Comment

A 95/100 roll is not going to give you any major injuries.
                        I'm not sure how the crit system works, but I swear I've managed to do some pretty okay crits even on pretty low odds... or I could be crazy.

Still there is a very small, almost negligible risk even then. Sparring has absolutely none of it.

Comment

Sparring with wooden weapons out of practice does damage. You could actually end up getting hurt from the sheer amount of "shallow cuts" to the neck if you aren't properly armored.

Comment

Sparring with wooden weapons out of practice does damage. You could actually end up getting hurt from the sheer amount of "shallow cuts" to the neck if you aren't properly armored.
                            Isn't the sparring system only in effect if you use the Practice Mode toggle? I haven't done it since I first started playing, since combat without any risk was kinda dull.

Comment

No, you actually get minimal SP if you are in 'practice' mode. To spar now, you must be wielding a training weapon and you DO take damage. It's minimal, but you it still chips away at your HP.

Comment

As always, Krisslanza has no clue about anything combat-related.

Comment

Working...
                                X