Changes to hunting lore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to hunting lore?

Curious but shouldn't hunting lore be allowed to use weapon skill points, since it's skillset kinda revolves around hunting animals?

I vote Yes.
    "The heat come by and busted me for smilin' on a cloudy day..."

Grateful Dead

Comment

You can use outdoors sp to learn hunting lore moves.

And you can use hunting lore without ever knowing a weapon. So, I don't know if that entirely makes sense. (I mean, either way, I guess. Being able to use weapon sps to learn it, or not needing to know a weapon to actually use almost all the skills.)
      I have buried my heart in an egg, in a duck, in a hare, in a chest, under an oak, on an island in the middle of the sea.

Comment

If you want to hunt using boar/any of the lores, though, you need a weapon.

I guess you might be able to punch a boar to death.

Dat picky realism.

I'd be for this change.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVeteran View Post
          Curious but shouldn't hunting lore be allowed to use weapon skill points, since it's skillset kinda revolves around hunting animals?
          no, it's skillset is about trapping animals, and crafting weapons. there are a few skills within the set that make it easier for you to kill some animals, but you can max those out, and kill them with novice levels in your weapon of choice.

Comment

I've actually seen a guy kill a wild pig with his bare hands.

So "Realism" is not part of the argument.

Hunting Lore is like... 300 total ranks to be nearly flawless. You really don't need to be able to use weapon SP for it.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
            HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

This idea doesn't seem to have much merit for me.

ArchMagi's point is part of the reason why. Armataan's point about how inequal the SP contribution would be is another.
              Originally posted by Mast3rmind
              Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
              Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
              Ravenlark pats you.
              Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

ArchMagi's commentary is totally valid, yes.

Rank 1 basics, rank 0 in any subs, using 'attack' with a spear with 20 ranks in boar lore will have a 5 to hit and will 1-shot kill every time.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Then apparently I should get a spear, Arma.
                  Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                  Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                  Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                    Rank 1 basics, rank 0 in any subs, using 'attack' with a spear with 20 ranks in boar lore will have a 5 to hit and will 1-shot kill every time.
                    I have to call BS on that, as a grandmaster of hunting and spears. Just ain't accurate.

As to the original question, I have found it's far easier to get hunting lore SP than weapon SP. Just throw out a dozen traps, stay tuned, and skin what wanders in. Time consuming grind, yes it is, still takes less work. What you're suggesting is a step short of making all SP into GSP. Everything would be interchangeable, just like weapon SP can be used to train dodges. Would make SP simpler to govern, surely it would: train hunting to get better at sewing; train healing to become a better dodger. Other games have used that type of system, but that isn't TEC, for me.

I like the idea in general, of simplification, but I can think of other things I'd want the GM's coding with their time. Maybe later I could support.
                    Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

Comment

His spear line was likely sarcasm. He does that.
                      Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

It wasn't sarcasm (though yes, I am sarcastic.)

The Before I unlearned hunting lore, I could one-shot boars all day long. After, it takes 20+ shots. And at rank 1 basics with no subs, I had 5s to hit.

It is possible it has changed since then, but I seriously doubt it. I was 50 basics, 20 boar lore.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                          It wasn't sarcasm (though yes, I am sarcastic.)

The Before I unlearned hunting lore, I could one-shot boars all day long. After, it takes 20+ shots. And at rank 1 basics with no subs, I had 5s to hit.

It is possible it has changed since then, but I seriously doubt it. I was 50 basics, 20 boar lore.
                          I've seen boars fall to spears very quickly, but I don't recall ever seeing a one-shot on a boar. You sure as hell don't get them with clubs, staves or bows, even with higher levels of both weapon basics and boar lore.

So either it's been changed or spears get a significant bonus to killing a boar or there's some other odd math involved.
                          Ravenlark pats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladmir View Post
                            So either it's been changed or spears get a significant bonus to killing a boar or there's some other odd math involved.
                            Or Armataan is exaggerating and wrong, which certainly never ever happens ever.

This is a silly idea. If we're making this change we may as well let weapon SP be used for Setups because half of the skillset can be used in combat situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythgen View Post
                              Or Armataan is exaggerating and wrong, which certainly never ever happens ever.

This is a silly idea. If we're making this change we may as well let weapon SP be used for Setups because half of the skillset can be used in combat situations.
                              I can bandage myself when im in combat, so might as well let me spend my combat SP on healing too
                              Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                              Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                              Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
                              It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                              Originally posted by Tale
                              My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Working...
                              X