No announcement yet.

Changes to hunting lore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also like to see more of them in groups. I specifically remember driving down a dirt road to go to a haunted area north of town. Had to make a 3 point u-turn and as my headlights hit the field, I saw.. literally hundreds of deer. It was as if they had a giant meeting that night.

A wider variety of boar and bear. Momma bear with her 2 cubs. Papa boar with his family of 9 pups. Anything added like that would be full of win.

Comment

Most predators in nature are better at seeing movement than seeing details. Humans are different. We see deer that aren't moving pretty well, but most other predators miss it unless they move, and instead have to rely on olfactory.

---

And regarding deer... Yes, that's probably not an exaggeration of how many friggin deer there are. They are a menace in the americas now. There are more deer today than there were before the white man's arrival in the 'virgin' country. We removed all of their predators, and limited the amount they can be hunted, so they breed like crazy.

I'd love to see some love given to fleshing out alternate weapons.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
      HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Tweninger View Post
        Okay.

I'd love to see one more shot included in to the skillset. Something like Fatal Shot. A shot only made at animals that you have a lore for.. Boar, Bear, Deer.. The shot would ultimately cause enough damage to kill them in 1 shot. You would have to follow a path of fresh blood to find the corpse. The animal could wonder for a few hundred feet, or stumble along for half a mile before finally collapsing.

Wishful thinking, I know.
        They should just up the lores to give a massive increase to the chance and severity of bleeding crits.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post
          They should just up the lores to give a massive increase to the chance and severity of bleeding crits.
          That'd really increase my game-anger, if it wasn't accompanied by animals that cannot unstun/auto-bolt/auto-unspawns in under a second.

I've chased game animals all over the woods and plains, trying to get into a square with them long enough to strike the killing blow. Very satisfying when I get my prey.

And I've looked all over woods and plains trying to find an animal that unspawned the second it left my square. Without needing to retreat. That kind of no-explanation 'I deny you victory and spoils' chaps my hide. It gets my goat, if you'll allow that phrase.

If the animals are bleeding when they leave... and are nowhere to be found the second they leave... it'll just increase my raging against my machine.
          Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

Comment

Originally posted by Mausaus View Post
            That'd really increase my game-anger, if it wasn't accompanied by animals that cannot unstun/auto-bolt/auto-unspawns in under a second.

I've chased game animals all over the woods and plains, trying to get into a square with them long enough to strike the killing blow. Very satisfying when I get my prey.

And I've looked all over woods and plains trying to find an animal that unspawned the second it left my square. Without needing to retreat. That kind of no-explanation 'I deny you victory and spoils' chaps my hide. It gets my goat, if you'll allow that phrase.

If the animals are bleeding when they leave... and are nowhere to be found the second they leave... it'll just increase my raging against my machine.
            I think for me the angriest I ever got with TEC was chasing an animal in the West Grasslands. I could almost catch up with it before it sprinted three paces north again. Finally I had it trapped against the river, when it suddenly disappears.

I also think the game staff should look at no-roundtime creatures. Mountain Lions and Giant Alligators should not be able to leave a square, go into your square, engage you, and attack you before your movement resolves.

I'd like to see the animal lores reformatted. Instead of being animal specific, they should either be area specific (you are familiar with how to catch forest-type animals, plains-type animals, mountain-type animals) or be type specific (generically all birds, all large herbivores, all carnivores). Additionally, I would make them actual lores a huntsman would learn (like Spirit Pacification, Open Portal, or Pressure Wound) and limit the lore to only learning one type. This would increase specialization, decrease skills in a bloated skillset, and use our existing lore system.
            No time for this - there are artifacts to find!

Comment

Originally posted by Tweninger View Post
              I'd also like to see more of them in groups. I specifically remember driving down a dirt road to go to a haunted area north of town. Had to make a 3 point u-turn and as my headlights hit the field, I saw.. literally hundreds of deer. It was as if they had a giant meeting that night.

A wider variety of boar and bear. Momma bear with her 2 cubs. Papa boar with his family of 9 pups. Anything added like that would be full of win.
              Usually if I see only one deer it's a very large male. Any other time, it's usually a group of a doe, younger males (presumably nearly-grown fawns), and maybe some very young fawns following along. If I see a single deer that isn't a buck, the rest of its group aren't too far off, nine times out of ten.

Groups like that would be awesome, as would groups of other animals, as you mentioned.

I wish bucks had about a 50-50 chance to get all aggressive on you if you attacked them. If they ever do IG right now, I've never seen it. I have a dent in my truck from where a big buck head-butted it...'herbivore' doesn't not mean 'will not throw down' as reliably in nature as it often seems to in fiction.
              Originally posted by Mast3rmind
              Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
              Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
              Ravenlark pats you.
              Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Working...
              X