Story points - how much have you sold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taci_Jinx View Post
    I mean, storypoints are not a physical item, they could get just one person to purchase them, and make a profit. Why would they ever change the price, except to increase?
    Ooooooh, I dunno. To sell MORE and make MORE profit? Crazy, I know.
    I'm on Santa's naughty list, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atilu View Post
      Ooooooh, I dunno. To sell MORE and make MORE profit? Crazy, I know.
      You mean... If they lower the prices to what more people want, more people would purchase them??? Get out of here!

But i agree with Taci atm. If 1 or 2 people buy some, that's a plus for Skotos so they will keep the prices the same for months to come. It just frustrates you when people make it so hard to get ahead in a text based game, saw another thread of someone leaving....
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Supply and demand curve, baby!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

At a lower price, more people will be willing to buy points, but they will make less per-point.

If they halve the cost, will they get more than double the purchases? Or will they get, say, 50% more purchases?

If they double the cost, will they get less purchases? Or are the people already buying at this rate rich enough that they'll keep buying?

So if Skotos isn't bringing in enough money (or if they just want to make more money) it's still not obvious whether they should be raising or lowering the price.

Skotos could test by raising and lowering the price. But even that won't work, because players aren't stupid, and will wait for the lower price before buying.
        We can *sort of* guess that by looking at the different prices between paid and free accounts buying storypoints, but even then, paid accounts have more investment in the game (and also clearly has at least a little available money) so that'll bias those numbers, too.

Economists kind of assume that companies would magically know what people are willing to pay, and would set the prices accordingly. In the real world, mind readers don't exist, and that's why theoretical economics doesn't actually work.

Hurray for wasting our time at school learning about this stuff!

Anyway, take home message is that, if this isn't making enough money, there's no guarantee that the prices will be lowered. Or even if it's making money, the prices might still be lowered.

If the money from these points dries up enough, Skotos might decide to get rid of it altogether - the negatives of players being able to buy points might not be worth the income. I'm hoping that isn't the end result, though, as I want Skotos to remain financially healthy so we can continue playing in their playground
        Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post

If the money from these points dries up enough, Skotos might decide to get rid of it altogether - the negatives of players being able to buy points might not be worth the income. I'm hoping that isn't the end result, though, as I want Skotos to remain financially healthy so we can continue playing in their playground
          I don't understand this point. Get rid of it because if people can buy points at a cheap/reasonable rate it would be negative? How so? Because there won't be 6 people in game with inhuman stats ruling the arena? Because people would buy points and expand the game buy getting new items, new descriptions, speeches etc etc.
          Skotos didn't care.

My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Originally posted by glenh View Post
            I don't understand this point. Get rid of it because if people can buy points at a cheap/reasonable rate it would be negative? How so? Because there won't be 6 people in game with inhuman stats ruling the arena? Because people would buy points and expand the game buy getting new items, new descriptions, speeches etc etc.
            I'd like to say that I'm not speaking on behalf of Skotos, and this is pure, personal speculation on my part.

What I mean is that, yeah, some people might be concerned at the "pay-to-buy-points" setup. In discussions in the past some players have commented that they like the points being limited - this way even if the points help players get ahead, since they can only get limited points from the premium account, there is a time delay in them accumulating the points.

Some players also are very wary of a pay-to-win setup in a game.

This creates *some level* of bad feeling from these storypoints being purchasable.

There is also a certain amount of administrative overhead in managing any payments, although I have no idea how much that is.

There could also be a financial cost to these points - previously having a premium account was the only reliable way to gather points, so players might have continued to pay for the premium account so that, if they wanted the points in the future, they would be there. Now, those players could drop down to basic or free accounts and, if they want the points they can pay for 1 month of premium, buy 250 additional points, and then drop back to free the next month. - I don't know whether that will actually happen or not, though. It depends on the psychology of the people buying these accounts and points.

Now, I personally agree with you - having points priced at a reasonable rate gives players an option to "catch up" with other players. Reducing the cap on points also allows players who want custom items etc. to buy more.

In general, the other games don't really have pay-to-win options with storypoints, and any options like that were already in place, so I don't personally think there is much of a problem there, either.

Having added this, I highly doubt that Skotos will remove the option to buy storypoints. I was just speculating on the off chance that, y'know, after the first month or two nobody buys any more points.

So really, I'm just wildly speculating here.

Comment

I like SHAZrael. He posts here so rarely, but when he does it is like... Roadstrom but less left field.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
              HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
                I'd like to say that I'm not speaking on behalf of Skotos, and this is pure, personal speculation on my part.

What I mean is that, yeah, some people might be concerned at the "pay-to-buy-points" setup. In discussions in the past some players have commented that they like the points being limited - this way even if the points help players get ahead, since they can only get limited points from the premium account, there is a time delay in them accumulating the points.

Some players also are very wary of a pay-to-win setup in a game.

This creates *some level* of bad feeling from these storypoints being purchasable.

There is also a certain amount of administrative overhead in managing any payments, although I have no idea how much that is.

There could also be a financial cost to these points - previously having a premium account was the only reliable way to gather points, so players might have continued to pay for the premium account so that, if they wanted the points in the future, they would be there. Now, those players could drop down to basic or free accounts and, if they want the points they can pay for 1 month of premium, buy 250 additional points, and then drop back to free the next month. - I don't know whether that will actually happen or not, though. It depends on the psychology of the people buying these accounts and points.

Now, I personally agree with you - having points priced at a reasonable rate gives players an option to "catch up" with other players. Reducing the cap on points also allows players who want custom items etc. to buy more.

In general, the other games don't really have pay-to-win options with storypoints, and any options like that were already in place, so I don't personally think there is much of a problem there, either.

Having added this, I highly doubt that Skotos will remove the option to buy storypoints. I was just speculating on the off chance that, y'know, after the first month or two nobody buys any more points.

So really, I'm just wildly speculating here.
                Good to have your input. Can you expand on how lowering prices and making it more available will make the game Pay-2-Win. Isn't it that already? The people that Pay premium and Play 10-15 hours a day Win?

Do we really win by getting a stat to inhuman? Or getting a custom item? I think it's alot of the handful of inhuman people at the moment getting worried someone else might get some inhuman's too.
                Skotos didn't care.

My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

I think it's alot of the handful of inhuman people at the moment getting worried someone else might get some inhuman's too.
                  I don't know if it's because I've been living in Australia the last few months, or because you're actually one of the sanest and most reasonable people on the forums, but I like your posts more and more with each read. Kudos. NoTrollmo.
                  I'm on Santa's naughty list, now.

Comment

Good to have your input. Can you expand on how lowering prices and making it more available will make the game Pay-2-Win. Isn't it that already? The people that Pay premium and Play 10-15 hours a day Win?

Do we really win by getting a stat to inhuman? Or getting a custom item? I think it's alot of the handful of inhuman people at the moment getting worried someone else might get some inhuman's too.
                    I don't really want to comment about TEC specifically. You know more about that topic than I do.

From what I understand, I also agree with you - Either it's already Pay-2-Win, or getting those status/custom items/etc. isn't really "winning" - so either way, no big change.

I only mentioned it as a concern that had come up previously in other forum threads across Skotos at the idea of buying storypoints directly. It's not a concern that I share.

Personally, as someone with very limited free time, but a reasonable amount of money in my pocket - I appreciate the option to either save grinding time and get what I'm after faster, or to save money and spend my time instead.

That way it's up to me how I want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                      I like SHAZrael. He posts here so rarely, but when he does it is like... Roadstrom but less left field.
                      My forum signature used to be:
                      Woah, TonyD's like Roadstrom on crack. - Andrew's Ghost

Comment

Right now, I have no reason to subscribe to a premium account. However, if SP prices were reasonable, I would upgrade for the reduced price and buy the maximum amount of SPs I could a month. That'd be a subscription upgrade (which is like what, $20 extra a month?) and an extra $100 a month or so for SPs. From what I've read in the forums, this is what a bunch of players are getting at. To -me-, it seems like more money would be made by Skotos. However we'll only know through testing.

Comment

Pretty much. Premium should come with a further option IMO - do you want your 6rp/hr as per normal OR would you like the basic rate of 2rp/hr PLUS an extra 150 story points?

Because 6 rp an hour means nothing to me who plays 1-2 hours a day during he week.
                          Skotos didn't care.

My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Pretty much. Premium should come with a further option IMO - do you want your 6rp/hr as per normal OR would you like the basic rate of 2rp/hr PLUS an extra 150 story points?

Because 6 rp an hour means nothing to me who plays 1-2 hours a day during he week.
                            why should anyone cater to someone who only plays an hour or two? you won't get ahead by playing so little, nor should you.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                              why should anyone cater to someone who only plays an hour or two? you won't get ahead by playing so little, nor should you.
                              I would think you'd want as many revenue options going as possible for as many types of players as possible. Why does it have to be them or us? Skotos only stands to make MORE money from being MORE inclusive.
                              Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                              I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                              Originally posted by Phwoar
                              Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                              Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
                                I would think you'd want as many revenue options going as possible for as many types of players as possible. Why does it have to be them or us? Skotos only stands to make MORE money from being MORE inclusive.
                                Logical business sense at its finest. Now why can't that be reality instead of wishful thinking?
                                "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                                X