Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Story points - how much have you sold?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    I would think you'd want as many revenue options going as possible for as many types of players as possible. Why does it have to be them or us? Skotos only stands to make MORE money from being MORE inclusive.
    Agreed. And stuff.

    Originally posted by VinianQuartz
    HAIL CULEXUS

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
      why should anyone cater to someone who only plays an hour or two? you won't get ahead by playing so little, nor should you.
      Hahahaha good chuckle. Maybe because a lot of people only play a few hours if any a day? The fact I don't pay at the moment, but if given an option like that I would pay. Or should I not be allowed role points because I don't play as much? I can't have an ooc currency because I can't log on as much as others?

      You'd think the fact I can't get as many sp as others who log more would be a bigger problem.
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

      Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by glenh View Post
        You'd think the fact I can't get as many sp as others who log more would be a bigger problem.
        But you basically can.

        If I script 16 hours a day, every day, for 7 days (112 hours) I might get 1200 SP if I am lucky. If you train with up enter 3 hours a week, (3 hours) you'll get 300 or so. Making your sp gain 99% more efficient than mine.

        Originally posted by VinianQuartz
        HAIL CULEXUS

        Comment


        • #49
          Efficiency is not the argument. Total gained SP is. If you play more, you can earn more SP. You will not earn more in the first three hours a week, but you will earn more. Using your numbers, you earn four times as many. There is an advantage to more time spent active in game. There should be an advantage to more time spent in game.

          Comment


          • #50
            But it is still HEAVILY weighted toward casual players.

            Edit: How the hell did that typo happen?
            Last edited by Armataan; 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM.

            Originally posted by VinianQuartz
            HAIL CULEXUS

            Comment


            • #51
              Agreed, and it sort of has to be to make up for the huge gap. I am not saying it's currently perfect, but if there are so few "lowbies" around you've got to give me something to make me not feel utterly lost. The ability to quickly become mediocre then slowly turn down my training seems to work more or less.

              Comment


              • #52
                IMO

                - You should be able to make more SP for more time spent in game.

                - There should be advantages to both casual and more serious gamers (which I think rollover SP & diminishing SP gains addresses).

                - You should not be rewarded for scripting, but I understand how hard it is to catch (AFK or otherwise).

                - You should not be punished for not knowing how completely unbalanced the chargen is. Frankly it's ridiculous that, within the first 5 minutes of playing the game, new players should be forced to make irreversible decisions which may cost them months of training or thousands of dollars in RPs and/or StPs to overcome. Even worse that many will probably only realize this after having invested multiple hours/weeks/months into their first character.

                - There really should be more incentives for new or casual players to play more often (and be more involved). Take League of Legends 'First Win of the Day'(bonus for your first win every 24 hours), Angry Birds Star Wars 'Daily Prize' (random prize just for opening the app), etc. Instead of trying to milk as much money out of the existing long-term players, there should be a greater focus on new player acquisition and retention. There's no need to re-invent the wheel, so many other successful games find ways to cater to both old and new players without making either group feel slighted. Find a good example and adapt.

                - Custom Items with no mechanical benefits should really be a lot cheaper. It takes GMs what? Like... 5 minutes to change the short description? It's something so small but helps to add to the immersion and make characters really feel unique. It can even contribute to their backstory. Too many requests? Limit them to 1 per player per month. Or quarter. Or even year. Hell, use it as a gift on their birthday*. You could even punish scripters by not awarding this small perk to them.

                *Note: It's sad that I feel I have to mention this, but GMs should try not to steal these items.
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.


                “Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yeah, but if you're getting 800 SP a cycle, look at all the time you've wasted on a game when you could have been doing something productive and meaningful with your life.

                  Rollover and cycles were the best thing this game has ever done for those of us who chose to have life outside of a text-based game.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Tweninger View Post
                    Yeah, but if you're getting 800 SP a cycle, look at all the time you've wasted on a game when you could have been doing something productive and meaningful with your life.

                    Rollover and cycles were the best thing this game has ever done for those of us who chose to have life outside of a text-based game.
                    Be even better if we could have more than one character without forcing us to pay.
                    Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                    Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                    Skotos didn't care.

                    Originally posted by Elowynn
                    It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                    Originally posted by Tale
                    My apologies to Glenh.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by glenh View Post
                      Be even better if we could have more than one character without forcing us to pay.
                      And by 'better' I assume you mean 'not remotely keeping to any desired business model and instead just throwing free product at people and saying "Please take this?"

                      Originally posted by VinianQuartz
                      HAIL CULEXUS

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                        And by 'better' I assume you mean 'not remotely keeping to any desired business model and instead just throwing free product at people and saying "Please take this?"
                        Yeah, as opposed to 'charging an arm and a leg for the most minor thing available and them saying "They'll pay"'
                        Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                        Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                        Skotos didn't care.

                        Originally posted by Elowynn
                        It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                        Originally posted by Tale
                        My apologies to Glenh.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Dragonus View Post

                          - You should not be rewarded for scripting, but I understand how hard it is to catch (AFK or otherwise).
                          The rest of your post is fine, but scripting is not that difficult to catch. It's difficult to prove beyond any "reasonable" iota of doubt, unless said player completely fails a script check. Which in itself isn't efficient, because let me tell you, there are some pretty spiffy and elaborate scripts out there.

                          It's also really difficult to punish paying customers for something they're perfectly aware is cheating the system and expect to keep Skotos from running into the red, but I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with it.
                          Bactrian says, "We've got pretty thick skin. I think that's been pretty clearly demonstrated."

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Hephaen View Post
                            The rest of your post is fine, but scripting is not that difficult to catch. It's difficult to prove beyond any "reasonable" iota of doubt, unless said player completely fails a script check. Which in itself isn't efficient, because let me tell you, there are some pretty spiffy and elaborate scripts out there.
                            First part I agree with. Catching isn't necessarily hard, but proving and stopping are very difficult.


                            Originally posted by Hephaen View Post
                            It's also really difficult to punish paying customers for something they're perfectly aware is cheating the system and expect to keep Skotos from running into the red, but I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with it.
                            Second part I don't necessarily agree with. It's debatable really.

                            If I'm a paying customer who is knowingly cheating the system, am I really that surprised when I'm stopped or worse case scenario punished for doing so? Probably not. I probably don't necessarily pay to cheat. I pay to get ahead and I also cheat the system to get ahead. Even if one form is stopped, paying will still help me get ahead. If paying no longer allowed me to get ahead THEN I'd stop paying.


                            Also, who's to say that scripters make up a large portion of the paying playerbase? There's nothing stopping freebie members from scripting. I also wouldn't be surprised if the pretty blatant scripting by some, or even some of the actions taken with scripted ranks, have driven some paying customers away from the game. Personally, I have less motivation to play and compete if I know others are getting away with cheating the system. Putting an end to scripting may even increase profits in time. There's a lot of factors to consider.



                            Originally posted by Tweninger View Post
                            Yeah, but if you're getting 800 SP a cycle, look at all the time you've wasted on a game when you could have been doing something productive and meaningful with your life.
                            If you consider one of the major parts of playing a game (debatable, but if you're scripting I will assume you consider earning SP a major part) a 'waste of time' and that you have better things to do, maybe you shouldn't be playing the game in the first place? But that's just my opinion of course. I'm sure there's many people who disagree with me.
                            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                            A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                            A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.


                            “Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Turning games into skinner boxes has also proved not only profitable, but highly popular iwth other forms. So if anything, TEC should consider itemizing play (charging on an hourly rate, instead of a monthly?) and then having scaling SP rewards for time logged in, to actually ENCOURAGE such addictive behavior.

                              But that is a digression.

                              Originally posted by VinianQuartz
                              HAIL CULEXUS

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Armataan View Post
                                Turning games into skinner boxes has also proved not only profitable, but highly popular iwth other forms. So if anything, TEC should consider itemizing play (charging on an hourly rate, instead of a monthly?) and then having scaling SP rewards for time logged in, to actually ENCOURAGE such addictive behavior.

                                But that is a digression.
                                Lol charging by the hour.
                                Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                                Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                                Skotos didn't care.

                                Originally posted by Elowynn
                                It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                                Originally posted by Tale
                                My apologies to Glenh.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X