Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Points

Are these even given out anymore?

17 years, attended hundreds of events, never gotten a single one. Do I have to cyber to get them or something?

Originally posted by Ssjflint View Post
    Are these even given out anymore?

17 years, attended hundreds of events, never gotten a single one. Do I have to cyber to get them or something?

Try it, find out. Let us know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by AdorkableDerp View Post
      Try it, find out. Let us know how that goes.
      Cybering is for MUSHes.

Comment

To answer the question, Yes they are still given out. BP's are not easy to get, I've played years and only got a few, for different reasons. They are there for when GM's think someone's role-play was above and beyond. Otherwise a RP award is given instead of BP. So, BP's your looking at quite significant events, not just turning up to events. If that helps?
        Constable Lieutenant, Station I
        Founder of Diamond Eye trading company.

Kyrah pauses.
        Kyrah's mouth forms the shape of an "O" as she stares at you for several moments.
        You hear the clear tone of a loud horn from someplace far away to the southwest.

<Aux-chat> Scolve: Like the difference between "if (cheese is 'smelly)" vs "if (fromage is 'has_odeur)"

A fellow player has given you Kudos! Reason: "Beacuse I cant even PP when youre online without being nervous as f@#$."

Comment

I've not attended many events, and still managed to get 17 BP's..*shrug*
          I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
          Steven Hawkings

Comment

It's not just me, I know quite a few people who have been around for 10+ years, roleplayed consistently, (one was even a former SG) and have never gotten any BPs. I also know of folks on the other end of the spectrum who have 30-40 BPs and brag that they simply showed up to events in the 00-05 era and got them. Hell, some even brag that they don't even RP and they still get 'em.

I think one person put it best to me earlier: "You RP an asshole, people feel you should be likable if you're RPing". I dunno, my recent character has been a pretty consistent asshole for five years.

The opportunity to earn bonus points is part of the reason people attend events, which sometimes last three to five hours, that's a significant chunk of one's daily time or time that could be spent earning money/training IG.

I think the system needs to be looked at. Maybe if you earn X number of RPs over observation and exemplary RP (I think I was in the top 15 RPers last year in terms of kudos points and points awarded by GMs, per the RPer of the year list that came out in January so I'm not just speaking out my ass here), you get a BP.

Let's think of ways that are conducive to the way the game is meant to be played. Going above and beyond in RP could be defined as many things. and I'm sure each GM has their own idea of what exceptional roleplay means to them.

----

Oh, from the ?bonus points help file: "1 bonus point is awarded for good role-playing effort during an event. This means staying IC, following the course of events as well as you are able, and contributing to the event." -- Not true?

Also: "2 bonus points are awarded for an _exceptional_ role-playing effort. This means contributing significantly to the event, being innovative or particularly engaging in your role-play, or anything else that the GM running the event might consider exceptional." -- Up to discretion, that's cool.

It's all a moot point anyways. I don't plan on attending events anymore. Or even logging in much once I finish my final stat.

Not even sure why I brought up the discussion.

Comment

Stuff .
              I agree with a lot of this. It's one of the reasons I also gave up on attending events, especially with Kjel.

He's been a pain in the ass since 1999. Always RP'd the exact same. I show up, and annoy people. That's what he does. I've received enough BPs in my time to up my RP/hr by .25. Whoopie.

I guess that .25 was worth the....16 years of time playing a character? I appreciate the random 5-10 RPS I get awarded every now and again, but to pay premium for as long as I did and never see any bump despite being active is frustrating.
              <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
              Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Since not only does a bonus point translate into 100 role-points when awarded, they also increase role-point gain as they accumulate, they are not handed out lightly. In the distant past, just showing up to an event pretty much guaranteed that you'd receive a bonus point. This is how many long time players have built up the amount they have (this is not an attempt to slight ANYONE's role-play ability). The long term effect of that policy was not well thought out so an adjustment was made several years ago.

I apologize for overlooking the fact that we even had a help file on bonus points and not updating it sooner, but as of now, it has been updated as follows:

Bonus Points
                ============

Bonus points are intended to reward *exceptional* effort in role-playing, and
                they are awarded as follows:

1 bonus point may be awarded for a exceptional role-playing effort during an event.
                This means staying IC, following the course of events as well as you are
                able, and contributing to the event. Just "showing up" to an event does not
                guarantee a bonus point award.

No bonus points will be awarded if you are idle or absent for significant
                parts of the event, are engaging in OOC whispering or blatant OOC behavior or
                comments. The GM may deduct a bonus point for OOC disruptions during the
                event.

Every 10 bonus points increases your rate of role-point accumulation by
                0.5 per hour (see ?Role-Points-2).

As a final note, bonus points can be awarded at any time when exceptional
                role-play is observed by the staff , not simply during events. But please
                don't ask GMs for them. They are given out in a discretionary manner and
                their award is solely up to the GM staff.
                Game Master Sceadu

Comment

Originally posted by Sceadu View Post
                  Since not only does a bonus point translate into 100 role-points when awarded, they also increase role-point gain as they accumulate, they are not handed out lightly. In the distant past, just showing up to an event pretty much guaranteed that you'd receive a bonus point. This is how many long time players have built up the amount they have (this is not an attempt to slight ANYONE's role-play ability). The long term effect of that policy was not well thought out so an adjustment was made several years ago.

I apologize for overlooking the fact that we even had a help file on bonus points and not updating it sooner, but as of now, it has been updated as follows:

Bonus Points
                  ============

Bonus points are intended to reward *exceptional* effort in role-playing, and
                  they are awarded as follows:

1 bonus point may be awarded for a exceptional role-playing effort during an event.
                  This means staying IC, following the course of events as well as you are
                  able, and contributing to the event. Just "showing up" to an event does not
                  guarantee a bonus point award.

No bonus points will be awarded if you are idle or absent for significant
                  parts of the event, are engaging in OOC whispering or blatant OOC behavior or
                  comments. The GM may deduct a bonus point for OOC disruptions during the
                  event.

Every 10 bonus points increases your rate of role-point accumulation by
                  0.5 per hour (see ?Role-Points-2).

As a final note, bonus points can be awarded at any time when exceptional
                  role-play is observed by the staff , not simply during events. But please
                  don't ask GMs for them. They are given out in a discretionary manner and
                  their award is solely up to the GM staff.
                  Thank you for updating the help file. It makes things more clear and I can understand the new policy better.

Comment

It's not just me, I know quite a few people who have been around for 10+ years, roleplayed consistently, (one was even a former SG) and have never gotten any BPs. I also know of folks on the other end of the spectrum who have 30-40 BPs and brag that they simply showed up to events in the 00-05 era and got them. Hell, some even brag that they don't even RP and they still get 'em.

I think one person put it best to me earlier: "You RP an asshole, people feel you should be likable if you're RPing". I dunno, my recent character has been a pretty consistent asshole for five years.

The opportunity to earn bonus points is part of the reason people attend events, which sometimes last three to five hours, that's a significant chunk of one's daily time or time that could be spent earning money/training IG.

I think the system needs to be looked at. Maybe if you earn X number of RPs over observation and exemplary RP (I think I was in the top 15 RPers last year in terms of kudos points and points awarded by GMs, per the RPer of the year list that came out in January so I'm not just speaking out my ass here), you get a BP.

Let's think of ways that are conducive to the way the game is meant to be played. Going above and beyond in RP could be defined as many things. and I'm sure each GM has their own idea of what exceptional roleplay means to them.

----

Oh, from the ?bonus points help file: "1 bonus point is awarded for good role-playing effort during an event. This means staying IC, following the course of events as well as you are able, and contributing to the event." -- Not true?

Also: "2 bonus points are awarded for an _exceptional_ role-playing effort. This means contributing significantly to the event, being innovative or particularly engaging in your role-play, or anything else that the GM running the event might consider exceptional." -- Up to discretion, that's cool.

It's all a moot point anyways. I don't plan on attending events anymore. Or even logging in much once I finish my final stat.

Not even sure why I brought up the discussion.
                    No worries. I have 10 BPs total after all these years. I didn't even get one for being on chop-block and having my 6+ year character killed off. So good luck getting one bruh.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
                      No worries. I have 10 BPs total after all these years. I didn't even get one for being on chop-block and having my 6+ year character killed off. So good luck getting one bruh.
                      Oh, I don't particularly want anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
                        lmao

I got my 14th this last year, first one since probably 2003, although I did have a few 2-5 year breaks.
                        Originally posted by Pkticketsarefun
                        LIFES A BITCH THEN YOU GET PK'd!!!!!
                        Originally posted by Max Powers
                        Once again, as the ole TEC adage goes: When you cannot outsmart a person, complain louder.

Comment

I've gotten bonus points from events or from random daily normal RP. I can remember some of them but my favorite one was just helping a new player to the game, and teaching them a little bit of lore and background. After a what six year break i come back and that person said to me, You really got me into this game thanks.
                          Better than a BP
                          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
                            I've gotten bonus points from events or from random daily normal RP. I can remember some of them but my favorite one was just helping a new player to the game, and teaching them a little bit of lore and background. After a what six year break i come back and that person said to me, You really got me into this game thanks.
                            Better than a BP
                            I think he's talking about more recently (The past 5 years). I've noticed I no longer get BP's for any participation in events. My guess is that unless you have an established character that has some type of involved connection with the event which allows for more involved roleplaying, you're just going to get the standard 10 rolepoints. I got 13 BP's in my first 5 or 6 years playing the game. My roleplay has improved significantly but I've not gotten a single one since despite my attempt to be involved in every event I can make over the past 7 or so years.

Comment

I've gotten bonus points recently, and I would hardly say I'm deeply involved in any storylines. I'm also not part of the small group that just shovels in RPs each month.

I don't think they're unreachable, and I haven't gotten the impression they're handed out with bias either.

Comment

Working...
                              X