Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

Mozilla Firefox ESR

An alternative for all users, but especially for Mac users, is Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox that branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2016, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but one that should work for a while longer.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Event Ideas

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Ideas

I'd like to take a moment to start a new thread devoted to event suggestions by the playerbase. After browsing all pages of the the existing thread in the Gameworld forum, I've found that the first half of that thread is either outdated or mostly undoable. The second half became a nonstop joke train. Bersarin and I have been working hard on planning various events and storyarcs for everyone, but obviously our minds do not represent the same interests as the entire playerbase. We are still working out all the kinks and mechanics of our position, and it will take some practice to get everything down. We hope that you have enjoyed what we've done in the gameworld over the last few weeks and we appreciate the patience most of you have shown in those times that unexpected mechanical errors came up which our inexperience hasn't yet taught us about. That being said, please realize that there are many things that we as StoryGuides cannot do, but we will try our best to host events that the playerbase wants to see. So please feel free to use this thread for event suggestions, or even general suggestions if you see something being done at events that you'd like to see done better.

One important note: For the time being, we cannot control existing NPC characters. In some situations, we can improvise ways to simulate it, as was the case in our most recent impromptu mini-event with various barkeeps, but this method is very limited in what we can do. So, unfortunately, we cannot offer much in the way of events involving existing characters from other storylines. At some point in the future, this may change, but right now it is simply undoable. Please keep this in mind for your event suggestions and understand that we are not simply ignoring those of you that ask for certain NPCs during our events, which has happened a couple of times recently. I didn't want anyone to feel snuffed.
    If you don't have something nice to say, say it to Bersarin.

Personally, I love events that are combat based. A riot in the steps, animals escaping the colosseum, sailors/pirates flooding the coastal alleys, a large bandit attack on one of the caravans!

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
      Personally, I love events that are combat based. A riot in the steps, animals escaping the colosseum, sailors/pirates flooding the coastal alleys, a large bandit attack on one of the caravans!
      In regards to combat events, this is a question I would like to ask you and all of the playerbase:

Would you prefer combat events like this to be done impromptu or would you prefer them to be posted events? I see pure combat events as more suitable for impromptu simply due to the fact that it does essentially limit the participation to combatants and healers, and generally the story is limited. I for one know the frustration that can be felt by a player when they take time out of their day to make sure they are able to attend an event, only to find that they can't really be useful in any significant way because they are not a combatant. Of course, this is not to say there wouldn't be combat in posted events or that there wouldn't be big conflicts in the posted events. Additionally, impromptu mini-raids like this would be announced at the time of their occurrence, like with the recent wagon ambush, so that everyone around at that time could be made aware of the situation and not just the people around the area of occurrence.

Does this line up with the general preference of you guys, or would most of you prefer the majority of combat-specific events to be posted ones?

Comment

I think the really good events accommodate almost everyone.

Random StoryGuide NPC caravan drover gets ambushed by bandits.

1) He and his guards need healing.
        2) The bandits need to be hunted down.
        3) His legs are broken, so he can't walk, and won't be carried away from his wagon (with all his goods), so he would appreciate someone to set up camp (camp fire, maybe a lean-to).
        4) The bandits couldn't make off with his strongbox, but the only keyring was lost. He needs the strongbox unlocked to reward the fighters for tracking down the bandits and returning his goods. And if any of his chests are recovered, he'll need those unlocked as well.

Healers, Outdoorsies, Locksmiths, and Fighters all have roles to fill. It only requires 1 conscious NPC and a few unconsious ones, as well as a few extra spawned bandits.

This, to me, is an ideal event. Minimal work for the event-runners, and inclusive to a large group of people.

-M

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Comment

It could be both. If there's an extended combat-, military- or strategy-oriented arc you're playing, there would be [weekly] posted events to go along with it, but there could also be many spontaneous mini-events that may or may not be combat-oriented themselves. Outcomes from the mini-events would affect the larger events and overall story. Outcomes from larger events would dictate new mini-events.

That's the basic Japes formula, and it's proven to work.
          Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackening View Post
            It could be both. If there's an extended combat-, military- or strategy-oriented arc you're playing, there would be [weekly] posted events to go along with it, but there could also be many spontaneous mini-events that may or may not be combat-oriented themselves. Outcomes from the mini-events would affect the larger events and overall story. Outcomes from larger events would dictate new mini-events.

That's the basic Japes formula, and it's proven to work.
            Agree on all counts.

My favorite are long standing arcs with impromptu events that tie in with varying degrees of importance.

As a side note, I have no idea how it can be done but...I personally get bored of combat events that end up just becoming follow the soldier or listen to the constable 'investigate' (the recent impromptu event being a perfect example). I would love to see militias, gangs, or just vigilantes leading events instead sometimes. I am not sure if its possible without constables/legio allowing other people to take the reigns but I have always wanted to see it.

Finally, during events if we feel the need to contact a storyguide, for example we have a group of 8 pc's who are doing something pertinent to the event, is proclaiming the appropriate way to contact them?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Powers View Post
              Agree on all counts.

My favorite are long standing arcs with impromptu events that tie in with varying degrees of importance.

As a side note, I have no idea how it can be done but...I personally get bored of combat events that end up just becoming follow the soldier or listen to the constable 'investigate' (the recent impromptu event being a perfect example). I would love to see militias, gangs, or just vigilantes leading events instead sometimes. I am not sure if its possible without constables/legio allowing other people to take the reigns but I have always wanted to see it.

Finally, during events if we feel the need to contact a storyguide, for example we have a group of 8 pc's who are doing something pertinent to the event, is proclaiming the appropriate way to contact them?
              I, too, share the boredom you have with combat events that lead to "follow this constable/soldier." I'd like to see events in the steps, where you need help from Centurions.. Events in the harbor, where the rats would play a major part.. or monlon MVG (etc). Events and story arcs that tie into current orgs would be an excellent addition.

Currently, alot of the events or happenings in the city the constables generally get first dibs on. I feel events should be spread throughout the various orgs.

If you're looking for suggestions, Navarius, I know a lot of the org leaders have ideas of things they'd like to see in the gameworld. Chris (Dumond), as an example, had A LOT of ideas in the BC forums for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Powers View Post

As storyguides, we cannot see proclaims. There is a command in place for this, however, I do not know if all the bugs have been worked out of it yet. The system should work similarly to the aux-chat system. I will ask around and make sure that the mechanics are ready to go for that command and post it here when that is confirmed, as well as get a post in the *news forum for everyone to know about it.

Also, if you have any ideas you would like to throw out but don't want to post publically for any reason, feel free to PM Bersarin or myself. I will see if I can get a streamlined request system similar to @request that can be used in the future to send requests like that to us, but I can't promise anything. PMs should suffice for now, or send in @requests and ask for them to be shown to the storyguides.

Thanks for the constructive ideas and criticism so far. I will be back around later to address a few more points of discussion here, and keep the ideas rolling in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
                  If you're looking for suggestions, Navarius, I know a lot of the org leaders have ideas of things they'd like to see in the gameworld. Chris (Dumond), as an example, had A LOT of ideas in the BC forums for example.
                  We do not have access to organization forums, so please feel free to post them here or PM us or @request and ask that the requests be forwarded to us. Again, I will look into getting a more streamlined system for this sort of thing in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Navarius View Post
                    We do not have access to organization forums, so please feel free to post them here or PM us or @request and ask that the requests be forwarded to us. Again, I will look into getting a more streamlined system for this sort of thing in the future.
                    You are my favorite!!

Comment

I like what you guys have done so far, it's been a fun few weeks IG for sure.

My only recommendations would be, first of all, to not have the NPC characters be able to do something downright ridiculous mechanics wise. In the most recent case I can think of, the bandit Argintil was a little over the top. He managed to get right through the PG checkpoints, when he was part of a bandit attack right outside the guard post. It was fun chasing him around the grasslands, I didn't even mind that he would just disappear after the brief chases we had, because he was bound to show again. It really started to get to me though when he was able to cut his own bonds on a dagger left across the way from him in the middle of the Legio fort (The main outpost close to Iridine right?), either kill a guard or steal a uniform, and walk right out the front gate, all while barely being conscious, dehydrated, and with a mangled shoulder. Now, I understand everything he did is possible from a RL perspective, and the players involved did make mistakes which led to this outcome, but the rest of us are bound by the restrictions of game mechanics. This is in no way a failure on your guys' part, it's just a little annoying when a character can step so far out of the limitations the rest of us face.

The same thing can be applied to the recent events in the harbor, but the situation isn't bothersome at all. I don't mind having NPC's being able to disappear into the shadows, I mean, none of my characters can do it, but it's the way the characters portrayed that makes it believable. I really like the way these have gone,

Like you guys said, you're still working out the kinks, and you're doing an awesome job so far, I hope the above comes off as constructive criticism.

Now, as far as events I'd like to see go, Theres a ton of old lingering plots that either just never continued, or the GM involved lost interest (Not sure). Combat events are a blast, one of the main things I can say the players have been asking for for a long time now is more happenings on the borders of Cinera/Iridine. From what I understand, they're just at a stalemate right? Why not mix it up a bit? On a much larger scale, with the willing assistance of the GM's, you guys could even have something happen out in RV, where everyone jumps on the caravan to head out there, only to be ambushed by hoplites/barbarians right on the outskirts of Viron, and the GM's could code a small portion of the city for us to get a taste of and explore. You guys could always throw small hoardes into areas the GM's may plan on changing around a bit, like the Grey Sands, or the battlefields, y'know?

I like events that involve the mysteries of TEC, like the undone, Ravanites, magic, stuff like that is widely unknown to the majority of the playerbase. You guys could do something simple like watch for someone to be coming by in the steps, and spawn an undone child there with a broken leg, surrounded by SoE. You guys could utilize the Worm Temple for some sweet events, that place is awesome. Spur of the moment events, that occur to people who don't normally get any special attention can make the difference in whether or not someone wants to keep playing the game.

And as always, everyone loves a good smith event, or GM auction. If it's possible, maybe you guys could see about having another Tattoo artist come back to town. If you guys have the option to create your own items, throw A GM Auction, or even have a craftsman come to town that makes something like furniture, instruments, or toys. For the shadier sides have a shady man in an alley in the coastals or steps step out infront of one of there members and offer to sell them a small quantity of poison on a knife, or a vial of it, maybe said businessman is in trouble, and hiding from the law, and he wants to pay you with some of his contraband to get him to a safe-haven, doesn't even have to be cover, it could be Legio gladii that he's smuggling out of town for a bandit party to pose as a Legion squad, could be a painting stolen out of the domus of one of the Allende's, use your imaginations.

I know we'll see great things in the future from you guys, chances are if it's something you guys would have wanted to see back in the day, the rest of us will enjoy it too.
                      Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                      I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                      Originally posted by Phwoar
                      Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                      Originally posted by Elowynn
                      Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

I also don't know what kind of powers you guys have received but...I really love events with REAL consequences and real changes in the game world. I would love to see people who run into a burning building have scars on their face and hands, people who piss off lefty enough get booted from his bar, the possibility of getting your legs broke or a tongue cut if you piss someone powerful enough. Long term and real consequences make the experience a lot more fun, at least for me.

Comment

I didn't read through in detail, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it.

No unkillable NPCs, please. Tulopos was just plain lame in this regard.
                          Originally posted by TaylorMDavis
                          <Meraj thinks aloud: Oh? Now all of a sudden I can't suck ****?> <---- LULZ

Comment

I would say Blackening is right on target with the Japes Formula...weekly planned long standing arcs are awesome fun, even if they're not long and involved always (easy example for me is restarting actively the war with Cinera; weekly events could be anything from forming a supply train to help the front line troops, to open war in the eastern grasslands) but the mini-events and impromptu events that could happen between factor in to the overall story. (not enough blankets and clothes were made by tailors or not enough food was gathered and sent to the front, so when the open battle comes there are much fewer NPC soldiers to help) Don't know if you could work this out or if people would go with it, but even having outcomes be effected to the point where if we don't get the manpower for the big event and we get overrun, until say the next big event when we could "push back the front" parts of the gameworld be reoccupied. Thats probably stretching to far and I'm still using the war as an example...

but the formula is definitely a smart way to do things, and I think everyone would appreciate being able to affect real outcomes.

One other suggestion is what someone else said. Some impromptu events should definitely be thrown in the faces of people who rarely get a front row seat at events. Events that a crowd of midbies stumbles upon, could make their whole month instead of following some top tier soldier around RV as he shouts orders and mows down barbs that are to strong for them to fight in anything other than berserk.

Vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Raegus V2.0 View Post
                              (not enough blankets and clothes were made by tailors or not enough food was gathered and sent to the front, so when the open battle comes there are much fewer NPC soldiers to help) Don't know if you could work this out or if people would go with it, but even having outcomes be effected to the point where if we don't get the manpower for the big event and we get overrun, until say the next big event when we could "push back the front" parts of the gameworld be reoccupied. Thats probably stretching to far and I'm still using the war as an example...
                              God that would be SOOO awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X