Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a neat idea. Give each character meaning and a place in the broader story arcs. The tailors must stitch clothing and blankets, the Harbor Rats must fend off a small raiding party that came in through one of their docks, the Steps gangs must root out the spies that are using the neighborhood as a residence while gathering intelligence.

Any of these pieces to the puzzle can be twisted, ignored, or turned in favor of the enemy for whatever reason. Mini-arcs that will affect the larger-scaled arcs would really give each group of characters some degree of sway and power. Prior to the stories going live, the staff can put together event formulas for outcomes.

Raiding Party in the Harbor ( Stage 2-B )
    ---------------------------------------
    IF Rats SUCCEED, THEN Stage 3-A
    IF Rats FAIL, THEN Stage 3-B
    Result: Fail, Move to Stage 3-B

Spies in the Steps ( Stage 3-B )
    ---------------------------------------
    etc.

These mini-arcs could be something more private; planned or spontaneous. This way you don't run the risk of some outside force controlling the progress of the event. The criminals, the militias, the law orgs; they will do things the way they want.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

(ಠ_ಠ)
    (ಠ_ಠ)ノ-■-■
    (-■_■)

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. To answer a few questions, I can't discuss into too much detail what powers we have, but I can say that at this point in time tattoo and other character-modifying events are not doable by us. We also cannot hold custom item events, though we can do alteration events.

In response to wars, there are plans in the works for something of the sort in the coming weeks/months. I won't go into detail, but keep your trousers on a little longer because it's coming.

Going back to some earlier concerns about constable/Legio takeover, something I want to encourage everyone to do with these mini-events is to take an active part outside of the initial happening if you're truly interested in it. We do want to try and keep events fun for everyone to participate in, but there are going to be cases where some sort of authority group is inevitable. However, you can look into the matters after the authorities have done their duties. As an example, the recent events in the harbor have all been heavily constable-based initially, but there have been happenings after the constables have left in which characters have gone and investigated further. In doing so, they've gotten a lot further than the constables. As storyguides, our role is to run events in the game. This gives us much more time to devote to more private and personal encounters, since we do not have to deal with programming and administrative duties. Keep in mind, though, that we are not omnipotent and cannot see what everyone in the gameworld is doing. We will do our best to poke around and keep everyone that's trying to further the events in their own time satisfied, and the communications channel should help out with this a great deal.

In regards to unkillable NPCs, I agree 100% that NPCs should be wholly killable, and should also pose risk to those that attempt to kill them. Some of you have learned this already. However, that doesn't mean we will make them -easy- to kill, as there wouldn't be much fun in an event where the ringleader of it was killed in the first five minutes. Rest assured, though, that if an NPC should be killable, it will be killable.

I'd like to ask for some feedback on another style of mini-event. I've done one of these so far, and I'd like to make them a regular deal if all of you like it. This type of mini-event is where I have an NPC with little goodies to sell. These are generally not combat-items or amazing items, just little things. For instance, the one I have held already was unique food ingredients to use a tools in cooking RP. I also try to keep everything cheap, usually below 200 denars, so that even newer character can enjoy them. Do you guys want to see more of these?

Again, thanks for all the feedback already posted here and keep them coming.
      If you don't have something nice to say, say it to Bersarin.

Comment

Originally posted by Navarius View Post
        In regards to unkillable NPCs, I agree 100% that NPCs should be wholly killable, and should also pose risk to those that attempt to kill them. Some of you have learned this already. However, that doesn't mean we will make them -easy- to kill, as there wouldn't be much fun in an event where the ringleader of it was killed in the first five minutes. Rest assured, though, that if an NPC should be killable, it will be killable.
        If they're not supposed to be killable, please don't put them in situations where we should be able to or want to kill them.

E.G. Tulopos running the Harbor and destroying an army of 10 PCs who were worth their salt. Not even Rizer can do that.

But yeah, thanks for the feedback.
        Originally posted by TaylorMDavis
        <Meraj thinks aloud: Oh? Now all of a sudden I can't suck ****?> <---- LULZ

Comment

Love the mini event idea of small knicknacks and things, one big complaint from people I was with at the last auction was how they couldn't even afford simple things...even if the items had nearly no purpose. It'd be nice like you said for even reasonably new players to be able to get into the fun, and I also really like the idea of the items being introduced more as roleplay tools than anything with significant mechanical purposes.

Question: Can you make small items like that that contain emotes to them?
          Like music sounding when you play an instrument or something?

Vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Raegus V2.0 View Post
            Question: Can you make small items like that that contain emotes to them? Like music sounding when you play an instrument or something?
            Unfortunately not, although the GMs have been very helpful for things like this in their spare time. While it wouldn't be the norm, we can certainly try to get things like this in the game on special occasions. There are a few instruments that have emotes already coded into them that we can create and customize, though. Foods and drinks are no problem, fortunately.

Comment

I really like the impromptu events that are held. They're a lot more fun than the ones that are announced a bit before. I think maybe it's because they're random and unexpected?

Are you able to do impromptu appearance events like hair and makeup? Because those could be fun too, maybe if some characters get permanent scars if they get bad injuries at events?

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
              -Sid Meier-

Comment

As far as item events go, you could always play the trader/craftsman who screens and takes the orders, even if you can't do all of the customization yourselves yet, and get a GM to do the mechanical side. It might be asking a lot from them, sure, but I can't think of a GM who's appreciated holding the eighty-hour order-taking event night.
                Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

I think small items are fun to collect too even if they don't really have much use. I like the idea of having merchants sell cheap items for cooking and roleplay purposes like you said.

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
                  -Sid Meier-

Comment

Also posted in the Administrivia forum, the command to communicate with storyguides is:

sgproclaim <message>

Please be sure to use this channel for appropriate reasons.

Comment

The last mini event where small unusual food items were sold, the damned NPC was so charismatic I ended up buying ten pounds of assorted cheeses I can't even identify. Bravo.

Also, I got my hands on a jar of Tepsin Power. Thats just neat.

An idea for events like this is something along the line of the Toga's Annual Pie Making Contest. If other eateries held similar contests as well for various sorts of dishes (A harbor eatery doing a seafood cook-off, a bakery doing a pastry cook-off, etc) on a regular basis, and had a few of their stock slots devoted to the winners like the Pie Contest, I think it would add a very real sense of adding to the gameworld for those who compete, as well as be just plain fun.

By all means, sell us exotic food items and spices! But also, give us an opportunity to use them, and share them with everyone else

-M

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post
                        Also, I got my hands on a jar of Tepsin Power.
                        God I hope you mean powder.

Noone can control the power of tepsin power. It is not meant for mankind.

Also... It looked like it might be an amusing event, but unfortunately the most recent 'peddler' mini event began with a peddler pissing my character off, and ended (for me) with me walking off, denied the item I'd offered to buy.

But yeah, I hope the others had fun at it. Eventually I'll get an event where there is 1.) some reason for my character to go/remain, and 2.) is fun and logical whilst I am there.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
                        HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

We've received a nice amount of feedback and suggestions so far. Feel free to continue posting as we'd like to have as much feedback as possible.

Comment

I would like to say that I really enjoyed the mini peddler event, even if my character didn't buy anything. I think it would be nice to see more mini-event similar to this. I know you said that you cant do custom items, but you can do alterations (I'm not sure which these suggestions fall under). Maybe an engraver could come to town to inscribe a word or design on some metal items for people? Or an embroiderer could offer to stitch a couple words or a design onto an item for people?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, we hope everyone has enjoyed everything thus far. Now that we have the third storyguide we have been waiting on, we will be helping him learn the ropes and get some practice in so that we can soon begin running announced events in addition to the impromptu mini-events.

Another idea I'd like to check with everyone on is in regards to the ampitheater. Do most of you feel that there is enough demand to put on performances? My idea would involve a storyguide leader in the play to provide costumes, props, and the like, and then your characters could audition for the parts. Before I decide to put any more thought into this, though, I would like to find out if enough players would both a) be willing to take part in these and b) be willing to attend and watch the performances.

As always, keep the ideas and feedback coming in. There's been a lot of great ideas brought up and we're keeping notes on them for use in the near future.

Comment

I'd be interested in this... do we get to keep the costumes and props after?
                                -Sid Meier-

Comment

Working...
                                X