I am back and these are my thoughts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am back and these are my thoughts.

So many lessons learned upon my return to the game...

I started a new character and tried to interact with the gameworld as any newcomer would. I never asked for a handout, earned everything I gathered on my own, learned a new combat style, and explored new regions of the world. In a sentence; It was extremely difficult! My only saving grace was playing a very extroverted and somewhat annoyingly, bubbly character, known as Klarissa, which a few people seemed to like enough to let tag along with them.

Getting started was an absolute nightmare. Making enough money to buy anything of use was very difficult. The old days of picking up the scraps from the dead in the alleys are long gone. I made my first talent, diving for mussels, and clams, and finding several pearls. The hours spent healing from being bashed on the rocks were more than a little annoying. I did the daily grind of the island, the sewer, the dumps, training courses and eventually graduated into the ludus. To call it a grind does not do it justice. It was brutal. My second saving grace was the knowledge that a lorica was literally worth it's weight in gold and it kept me protected enough to avoid any serious injuries early on. I saved all that I had and bought one on the cheap (2 talents, I think?) from a kind soul. I selftrained the vast majority of my skills, because it was all but impossible to find lessons with the low player count and high cost of training from the NPCs. It was really surprising to see how unwilling the majority of the playerbase was to offer training to a newer player. I felt like I was bothering people when I asked for lessons. In an act of desperation I ended up openly asking over thoughts for lessons and rarely got a response.

Now to the weapon system that I attempted. I have always been a huge fan of the spear skillset. I tried to put together a hoplite fighting style using the new (new to me) options available for the spear set. All I can say is, What the f*@#?? I have never been more frustrated/bored with a weapon skill in this game. stab, jab, parting jab, bash, upward bash, edge bash, shield push, thrust, stepping stab, feint. That was a pretty standard attack rotation. It was completely uninteresting and ridiculously easy to defend against. Couldn't we at least get a couple of attacks like the Pardelian skillset? Something that only works with a large shield and spear, maybe? How about a one handed block? I cannot imagine how this could ever become effective without adding brawling and even then, it would be near impossible to take out anyone with skill. But, I digress...

Franlius is a cool addition, aside from the boat ride. Please stop with the long caravans and float trips. Would it really kill any of us to suspend reality and have a brief ride? I was hoping to rank up my character a bit more to really get to explore Franlius, but had an unfortunate caravan run and have decided to end Klarissa, I will get to that later... Quartz Heights is fantastic. It makes getting high quality weapons and armor a possibilty for a new character. I spent a couple of hours wandering, completely lost, and didn't have to worry about stumbling into a dangerous area. The variety of shops, and rotating inventories of unique and affordable items is greatly appreciated. Well done GMs.

With that, I am sad to say I have ended my experiment with Klarissa and will be wandering the game with a new face and high hopes for continued enjoyment of a game that I have loved for many years. It is good to be back and I will see you in there!
    A few kudos that are well deserved. Herian, Grideon, Xene, Kered, Kierstaad, Kella, Synodia(I still cant help but want to stab you in the face...), Tolotec. There are several others, but those stand out in my mind. Well played.

Name: Klarissa Dourne Homeland : Aestiva
    Marital Status: Single
    Citizenship Status: Foreigner
    Popularity: 0

Physical Characteristics

Height: 5' 11" Weight: 168 lbs. Handed: Left
    Eyes: dark brown Hair: sienna Complexion: tan

Health Points: 0/125 Fatigue: 0% State: dead

Load: 0 lbs.
    Encumbrance: You are bearing no load to speak of.

Position: laying

Attributes:
    Agility: fairly good Appearance: slightly above average
    Charisma: slightly above average Dexterity: slightly above average
    Empathy: slightly above average Endurance: above average
    Judgement: average Memory: average
    Perception: good Reasoning: average
    Speed: average Strength: average
    Willpower: good

Skills/Actions Rank Rank Bonus Skill Points
    ----------------------- ----------------------- ---------- ------------
    Shields 51 outstanding 90 6.84

Shield Upward Bash 26 familiar 0
    Shield Bash 22 familiar 0
    Shield Simple Block 49 capable 156
    Shield Overhead Block 35 learned 120
    Shield Low Block 40 capable 102
    Shield Cross Block 30 learned 115
    Shield Push Back 10 practiced 0
    Shield Edge Bash 36 learned 0

Spears 50 outstanding 90 18.51

Spear Stab 50 outstanding 0
    Spear Jab 50 outstanding 0
    Spear Overhead Thrust 50 outstanding 0
    Spear Parting Jab 46 capable 0
    Spear Slash 1 novice 0
    Spear Butt Smash 1 novice 0
    Spear Stepping Stab 14 practiced 0
    Spears Aestivan Hoplite S20 familiar 0
    Spear Parting Slash 1 novice 0

Combat Maneuvers 20 familiar 50 7.85

Killing Blow 1 novice 0
    Recovery 10 practiced 0
    Duck 1 novice 40
    Jump 10 practiced 55
    Swaying Dodge 5 novice 40
    Sidestep 2 novice 43

Originally posted by Fids View Post
    So many lessons learned upon my return to the game...

Synodia(I still cant help but want to stab you in the face...).Well played.
    Some things never change. lol Welcome back!
    TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
    Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
    Originally posted by Bucaria
    The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

I'm sad to hear the passing for Klar, but very glad you are back!
      The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Getting lessons can be a nightmare, to help combat this i do my best to teach those who seeks lessons (either new or old). I agree that there needs to be a shift in some people's attitude towards teaching and sharing.

Comment

Klarissa... Noooooooo

It's been great playing with you, and saddening to hear the news.

Not being a veteran, I fully understand some of the comments you made. It's hard to not feel like you're bothering people when asking for lessons, or to get a response at all without walking up to them and waving your arms about. Having said that, there are a few kind souls who'll help out when you find them.

As for starting, I can't comment on that from my own point of view because I lucked out on that myself. Since I do try to help out others new to the city, I see that it takes a while before you can get anywhere financially, and the need for proper armor like a lorica or something similar makes it tricky to get there as a combat character. Perseverance is the key to getting through it, but it's still a daunting threshold.

Thank you for a great time playing. Klarissa will be missed.

Comment

Good to hear you are back!

Comment

I personally go out of my way to help new people to the game, because new people means future of tec, why wouldn't I?
              The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Klarissa was a great person. Her cheerfulness was inspiring. I'll miss her. She was nice to Iskibelle, and Iskibelle liked her.

Her funeral was awkward AF, though. lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by felisin01 View Post
                  Getting lessons can be a nightmare, to help combat this i do my best to teach those who seeks lessons (either new or old). I agree that there needs to be a shift in some people's attitude towards teaching and sharing.
                  why? This is an honest question, not my usual sarcasm though.

Comment

You are tougher then I. I have character concepts I want to try, but the pain of starting over is just so... much in this. It's so slow. And it takes forever to get the RPs to just roll a veteran and skip most of it..

But on the other hand... I guess I never saw a problem with the teaching thing, but to be fair, I'm the strange one who pretty much insists on trying to use NPC trainers and self-train for all that instead of seeking out a PC teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by britta View Post
                      Cause being 'jack' (selfish) does not help the game at all. Those of us who have been around a while can easily find lessons, but genuine new people or new characters of returning players could end up getting frustrated. Sometimes its just a good idea to be a little generous with your time.

Comment

Originally posted by britta View Post
                        A character starting out will get to several points where money is gained a lot slower than it is spent. Especially if they train at the ludus, skill points accumulate very rapidly, while armor, food and costs to participate in a fair bit of RP (since a lot of it involves food or drink) all pile on top of it.

This can form a big obstacle into enjoying the game, because you need skills to do anything, armor to go anywhere, and food and drink to get to anywhere. Offering lessons to other players will cut off part of the expenses and allow for RP at the same time, while also freeing up more resources for that player to RP later on. This in turn creates a richer gameworld for all of us to explore and enjoy, so it's an investment. The more people pitch in, the more we can all get out of it, with minimal 'sacrifices' to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Druceo View Post
                          A character starting out will get to several points where money is gained a lot slower than it is spent. Especially if they train at the ludus, skill points accumulate very rapidly, while armor, food and costs to participate in a fair bit of RP (since a lot of it involves food or drink) all pile on top of it.

This can form a big obstacle into enjoying the game, because you need skills to do anything, armor to go anywhere, and food and drink to get to anywhere. Offering lessons to other players will cut off part of the expenses and allow for RP at the same time, while also freeing up more resources for that player to RP later on. This in turn creates a richer gameworld for all of us to explore and enjoy, so it's an investment. The more people pitch in, the more we can all get out of it, with minimal 'sacrifices' to make.
                          Cannot agree more with this, I dont see a point in at least offering lessons to as high as the NPC trainer to anyone who asks. For a new character the cost of lessons+armor+weapons is more then its possiable to make unless they spend as much time grinding flower/diving for mussels as they do training. And like you said, that leaves very little time for enjoyment and has the possiablity of driving new players away or keeping old players from making new characters.

Comment

I generally offer lessons to anyone I am able to. If you are so concerned about people finding out your number of ranks, you could just make a personal rule to only teach up to say rank 30 or something. "Teach Staves to 30" Done deal.

I mean I am not going to trek across the world to teach you 5 lessons in basic Staves to save you a few denars, but I'll look you up when I get back to town sure.

Comment

We're always open to suggestions about improving the Newbie experience (without punishing people & characters who are not newbies).

If you have any suggestions please put in an @request in the Suggestions/Ideas category. It will be read and considered.
                              Game Master Tale
                              Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Working...
                              X