Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Ending the experiment a little earlier than anticipated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really good post by Tale.

Come back soon, Vak. (AOL forevah, mi amigo.)

Comment

So this is all about how you slept in a hunting ground and ended up in a coma?
      Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

I got coma'd my first time exploring the pits after my internet decided to stop working immediately after i entered them, I woke up coma'd too. I wasn't angry however though since I had read that the creatures there can coma you. Good news is you lose nothing other than a few weeks of your characters time, and with rollover sp I actually ended up enjoying the situation down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by KENJY
          Old City was another one that I expected to go differently. Those leech snakes and their ability to make a bleeder on even an experienced character being 1/20 no matter what is frustrating by itself, to say nothing about the damage to clothing and sheer HP damage that the fire lizards were capable of doing. Had to nix that one as an area my character could go to on anything close to a regular basis pretty early on. I don't remember them doing that auto-bleeder before, and didn't think that the difficulty NEEDED to be ramped up like that.
          That area has been like that since at least the early- to mid-2000s, and the leech snakes have been able to cause bleeding on a grapple since the area opened. That said, it was a pretty fun area when it first opened, as the bleeding necks were the biggest threat and could end a hunting trip early if you were unlucky or poor on defense. Plus it's open so archers were doable, two-handed weapon users didn't need a lantern during the day and the critters could be skinned.

The fire lizards are what screwed it up. They were added following some kind of contest where players could submit creatures and won RPs or something if their critter was added to the game. The clothing damage combined with the sheer DPS is a bit overwhelming at the level of ranks required to take on carrion beetles and leech snakes, and as such, they sort of unbalanced the entire area. Profit for skinners can be acceptable if you can put them down fast enough, but there's easier ways to make money and most people instead just do one of those.

And the clothing damage just makes it more annoying to hunt there. If they removed it and toned down the fire lizards, it'd be a nice upper lowbie hunting ground, but it hasn't been touched in ages, at least not to my knowledge.

I should note that when it initially opened it was pretty popular, both for solo hunting and small groups, and I have wondered if they wanted to stop people (myself included) from camping there with a couple friends and collecting sacks of scales, but I don't see why that'd have been an issue considering the other, superior revenue sources already in the game at that time.
          Originally posted by Mast3rmind
          Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
          Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
          Ravenlark pats you.
          Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

The burning clothing is why I stopped as well, same with oozes that blow up weapons, hard pass.
            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Working...
            X