Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ending the experiment a little earlier than anticipated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really good post by Tale.

Come back soon, Vak. (AOL forevah, mi amigo.)

Comment

So this is all about how you slept in a hunting ground and ended up in a coma?
      Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

I got coma'd my first time exploring the pits after my internet decided to stop working immediately after i entered them, I woke up coma'd too. I wasn't angry however though since I had read that the creatures there can coma you. Good news is you lose nothing other than a few weeks of your characters time, and with rollover sp I actually ended up enjoying the situation down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by KENJY
          Old City was another one that I expected to go differently. Those leech snakes and their ability to make a bleeder on even an experienced character being 1/20 no matter what is frustrating by itself, to say nothing about the damage to clothing and sheer HP damage that the fire lizards were capable of doing. Had to nix that one as an area my character could go to on anything close to a regular basis pretty early on. I don't remember them doing that auto-bleeder before, and didn't think that the difficulty NEEDED to be ramped up like that.
          That area has been like that since at least the early- to mid-2000s, and the leech snakes have been able to cause bleeding on a grapple since the area opened. That said, it was a pretty fun area when it first opened, as the bleeding necks were the biggest threat and could end a hunting trip early if you were unlucky or poor on defense. Plus it's open so archers were doable, two-handed weapon users didn't need a lantern during the day and the critters could be skinned.

The fire lizards are what screwed it up. They were added following some kind of contest where players could submit creatures and won RPs or something if their critter was added to the game. The clothing damage combined with the sheer DPS is a bit overwhelming at the level of ranks required to take on carrion beetles and leech snakes, and as such, they sort of unbalanced the entire area. Profit for skinners can be acceptable if you can put them down fast enough, but there's easier ways to make money and most people instead just do one of those.

And the clothing damage just makes it more annoying to hunt there. If they removed it and toned down the fire lizards, it'd be a nice upper lowbie hunting ground, but it hasn't been touched in ages, at least not to my knowledge.

I should note that when it initially opened it was pretty popular, both for solo hunting and small groups, and I have wondered if they wanted to stop people (myself included) from camping there with a couple friends and collecting sacks of scales, but I don't see why that'd have been an issue considering the other, superior revenue sources already in the game at that time.
          Originally posted by Mast3rmind
          Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
          Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
          Ravenlark pats you.
          Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

The burning clothing is why I stopped as well, same with oozes that blow up weapons, hard pass.
            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

After coming back to playing after a long stint in and around the early 2000s, I have to say I almost completely agree with the OP, especially how difficulty scaling really punishes new players, and I must say the looting rewards seem lighter too which is economically debilitating for poor players surviving on porridge and bathwater IG. I couldn't use my old character because I couldn't make money, nor find friends to fight with. Also, referring anyone to the wiki is usually less than helpful. It's like, OK at best, and usually mediocre as far as being a game guide, to the point that if I keep playing despite my similar beefs, I might insist I be allowed to help fix and finish it; and it's a shame that it and Vino's are a new players best option to learn about the game. I remember when Vino actually maintained that site. Oh and the help command popup window is link/image broken and woefully inadequate when it should be the best and most complete command reference. It seems to me that what once was a very newbie friendly game has indeed become a place that panders to veteran players, and frankly it started a long time ago when I quit the first time and seems to have incrementally gotten more imbalanced. I played back when it was actually free, not free but, hey if you really wanna have fun get a premium account so you can stack a character however you like; no, I mean actually free, before Skotos even. Back in my day it was: your characters are what they were and you earned their status and increased their stats through real experience IG in a balanced progression that seems now lost. I love the game, but I just want whoever to know that things were very different, and arguably much better and far more attractive to noobs back in the day. There's far to few people playing now to easily access knowledge IG. The complaints the OP lists are valid in my eyes, except about sleeping in a dangerous area lol. C'mon man, even I knew not to do that comin' back! Listen I get that these things I'm saying and agreeing with sound harsh against the GMs but it's my honest experience coming back. Despite all that, I am pretty happy things are still kicking here and am having fun, but I half expected Iridine to be a forgotten land. It may be so eventually, and hopefully you listen to at least some suggestions here because without new blood Iridine dies a slow death. They aren't meant in any bad faith, I say these things because I love this world and the people that play it and just want more awesome people to discover it and without much trouble be sucked into it as I once was. Btw, anyone remember the 3D Eternal City 2 or whatever? What ever happened to that? I remember the blocky screenshots fondly

Comment

Oh and the help command popup window is link/image broken and woefully inadequate when it should be the best and most complete command reference. It seems to me that what once was a very newbie friendly game has indeed become a place that panders to veteran players, and frankly it started a long time ago when I quit the first time and seems to have incrementally gotten more imbalanced.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

I concur.

What has been frustrating about the game is the lack of information on specific issues, espeically on danger and combat.

We have spiders. There was a major GM led event into an area of aggressive spiders, which led to major combat. Yet, before entering, NO ONE said anything about what to do if "webbed" or "entangled". What does one do or how does one help others if entangled? Where is the help system on this.

Cut web?
                Release?
                Free?
                Wiggle?

One should be able to type "Help spiders" and find out

In terms of combat...

There should be an extensive help combat pop-up which would help new players with weapon entanglements, impalement, arrows, and other dangers of NPC vs PC or PC vs PC combat as well.

There is no information available...and if there is...it is not easy to find.

A man in a bright orange mask in the shape of a sunburst gently strikes a small brass gong with a leather-wrapped rod.

Comment

Working...
                X