@recommend Dyrocles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @recommend Dyrocles

I very rarely post in the forums anymore. Mostly I think its because I'm from an old gaggle of geese that think that any changes made to any system has more negative impacts than positive.

However, my opinion has changed. A large part of this is because Bactrian has incredible foresight in the way the SP change has been managed, and his due diligence to playerbase cries in regards to certain weapons and weapon skillsets.

However, thinking about combat as a whole, I do think the ability to converse with intelligent, thought-provoking individuals who seem to have grasped the ideology and concept of the holistic approach to combat, has greatly contributed to my growing interest in TEC.

That said, I nominate Dyrocles, for an @recommendation. He, like Bruhast, Tempest and the majority of TEC Veterans has a history that spans across the history of TEC. He has fought with AND against almost every weapon type, and in previous years past has discussed, discovered, and (exploited) weapon holes with help from Atilian and other characters. He has characters that are well practiced in multiple skillsets as well.

Why I specifically ask for an @recommendation for him, is because he is not only well knowledged in his specific skillset, has developed a repoire with several very prominent combat fighters, is an active forum poster/reader, but more because he posesses an innate ability to communicate valid concerns in a fair manner to people. He has proven a willingness to concede when new revelations are made to him. (See the Avros, Nelsor SP not being able to converted to OHS Sps). Most importantly, he looks at combat from a balanced stand point from all angles, converging from holes in offense/defense to SP gain, to practice weapons for all skillsets.

I'm not saying he is the absolute best candidate for everyone, however he possesses the qualities, attitude, and consideration required to excel at this position.

Paid for by the committee for People looking for positive changes to TEC.
    Konoha ga Renge wa Nido Saku ~ The Lotus of Konoha, Blossoms Twice

Kevin responds from afar, "hard to resist those milfs...mothers i'd like to fork."

How active a player has he been in the past 4 years? For example, I wouldn't vote for you just simply for the fact that you are a veteran player. More likely I'd not for you -because- you are a veteran player. That means I'm afraid oldies like you are too far detached from what today's combat is compared to the years you grew up in. Bruhast and Tempest are exceptions because they've been playing consistently for all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Meraj View Post
      How active a player has he been in the past 4 years? For example, I wouldn't vote for you just simply for the fact that you are a veteran player. More likely I'd not for you -because- you are a veteran player. That means I'm afraid oldies like you are too far detached from what today's combat is compared to the years you grew up in. Bruhast and Tempest are exceptions because they've been playing consistently for all these years.
      That is true, and I did consider that, however he's taken a very active interest in combat, studying and playtesting different claims on both his characters. His veteran experience simply adds to that now.

As I said, he may not be the MOST applicable candidate given the expansive 13 year history of TEC, but if you were to consider him from when he returned, he is obviously an extremely strong candidate.

Kevin responds from afar, "hard to resist those milfs...mothers i'd like to fork."

Comment

I don't doubt his abilities. It sounds like he's one tough hombre. Just when did he return and how long was he gone? I only even thought of the time frame because you mentioned Atilian, which is dinosaur combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Meraj View Post
          I don't doubt his abilities. It sounds like he's one tough hombre. Just when did he return and how long was he gone? I only even thought of the time frame because you mentioned Atilian, which is dinosaur combat.
          He returned in March or February of 2009 I believe. I'm not sure exactly. He was gone for a long time before then, I believe several years (two minimum). Atilian was a time of dinosaur combat, its true, but the point I was emphasizing when mentioning him was the fact that he has always maintained an active interest in combat regardless of which time frame he was in.

He was interested in it then, he's interested in it now. He has several large and lengthy posts in his return, talking about his experiences and his thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions on combat from recent studies, not just from the past.

Comment

What is @recommend? There's no new post about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bactrian View Post
              I'm the first one to admit that many of our players have a stronger grasp of the intricacies of combat than I do. You guys are on the forefront of the mechanics changes that significantly impact your game experience, and from paying close attention in the last six months it's clear that there's a number of areas that can be improved.

While the GM staff focuses on non-combat priorities in the beginning of the calendar year, I'd like to create a brain trust with the mandate to look at TEC's combat system from head to toe. Basically, a group of players to guide the staff on the eternal questions: What works? What doesn't? What could be really awesome if we'd only give it a little tweak?

We'd like to make this group of players as representative as possible of the playerbase, and so instead of simply picking half a dozen people from a hat, we'd like to open ourselves up to recommendations from the playerbase. Right now, we're figuring on having 4-8 people (6 would be a good number). The level of access that members of the group would have is TBD, but they'll definitely have the opportunity to talk with the staff to get details about the existing system.

The rough plan is to implement a command tonight that would allow people to recommend players for the group. Looking forward to hearing feedback on the idea.
              Thread Location: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=74366

Comment

Thank you for the acknowledgment and nomination. I appreciate it, truly.

I do humbly acknowledge my interest in having a position on the blue ribbon council. I base this on the following merits:

I am passionate. Sometimes, that makes me stubborn. But, overall, I am usually very well-thought and considerate of the opposing sides of an argument.

Through time, I think I have shown that I really do care about TEC being a better place for everyone, not just me. Like any other human, I have argued for things under bias, but more often than not, the ideas I submit are more big-picture.

I believe that TEC has gone through a thousand small changes to put out little fires and it has accumulated into one big fire because we aren't working on correcting the source.

I feel that with this kind of opportunity, we could really start to take leaps and bounds in improving the game and finally bringing TEC combat to a place where each weapon is competitive in its own right, and I want to be a part of that. I think that my doing so could be beneficial because, even though I haven't been around every year for the last 13, I have been an active member and participant for the years I have been around, which are many. Furthermore, I have done a lot of research and testing to learn as much about combat as I can, so I am usually relatively good at identifying issues and coming up with amiable solutions to them.

Just because I haven't played every year since TEC came out should not discredit the work I have done, the information I have gained, or the fact that, especially since my return in July '09, I have done my best to be a positive member of this community.

A friend posed the question to me, "What if that which is decided must be done has a negative impact on you, your characters, and the time you have spent on building them?"

My response: Then that's that. Would I like it? No, but at the same time, if that is what will balance the game and make people happy, I can live with that. I've seen too many huge revamps and changes to ever get bent about something being changed drastically. I didn't like the new SP system for a long time and I disagreed with it, but it has grown on me and now I support it.

A lot of debates in TEC have shown me something: We can all be wrong sometimes, no matter how well-thought and articulate we are. I try to keep that in mind when advocating for or against something, now. Sometimes you just have to give something a chance, and be open-minded enough to let it prove you wrong.

If it came to it, I would like to say that I would be able to admit if something I am gaining benefits from is imbalanced, over-powered, or needs re-worked. But, I can never say for sure until that moment has posed itself to me. I feel that if something were truly imbalanced, I would want that not to be the case, even if that meant I lost something out of it. The big picture is key here: If we keep just pretending the issues aren't there and refuse to fix them and their root causes, we will end up with such a jumbled mess of a game and so few players that all of the work we put into our characters was worthless.

Let's say I got to keep my o/p skill. What good will that do me when I have no one to use it on, or with, or w/e? A short-term benefit where I had the upper-hand. I like to think of myself as not being that petty, or at least hope I am not. I think that I could swallow my pride and put my greed to the wayside in such a setting for the sole purpose of bettering the game for everyone, not just myself. Plus, the feeling of accomplishment and the pride in being a part in that would well outweigh any small benefit I would gain from perpetuating some overpowered or imbalanced skill or set of skills.

Ultimatius has graciously said everything else about my personal credentials, which was kind of him indeed. Thank you for that, and thank you all for your time.

Comment

I didn't even read the thread except for the first two or so sentences of every post. I would like to thank you both for creating the most hilarious thread of the past few months.

Comment

Republican or Democrat?
                    Originally posted by Pkticketsarefun
                    LIFES A BITCH THEN YOU GET PK'd!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Max Powers
                    Once again, as the ole TEC adage goes: When you cannot outsmart a person, complain louder.

Comment

Alright alright!

I'm just disappointed the Seahawks ended on a 5-11 note this year.

Comment

You and me, both.

Comment

i vote for a ' Black Ribbon Party ' where in focus and plots that bring in an era where the patricans fight tooth and nail for power (with something equal to the Bourbon versus Habsburg power struggles ) can be brought into the game.
                          Ich gehore nicht zur
                          Baader-Meinhof Gruppe.

Comment

I'm not all that sure on how I'm suppose to be voting for this....

So I'll just post here and say I agree about this guy. That Nerwintok guy too.

Comment

Originally posted by neitz View Post
                              where the patricans fight tooth and nail for power
                              How it should be! Hooaah!

Comment

Working...
                              X