Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quasi-sabbatical of sorts:

Greetings, everyone:

I've been struggling mightily with my health for the past year, and after nearly losing my kidneys to excessive weight loss, I've got to step back and re-prioritize.

Right now, I'm at 152.6.lbs. At my skinniest, I was 137.9lbs (organ failure begins for someone of my size at between 130 and 135lbs.). I finally managed to get my weight stable again, but I won't be able to keep up this modicum of health without a large amount of medical assistance (holistic) not covered by Medicaid or Medicare. Specifically, the product(s) are in the Reliv Family of supplements. Unfortunately, given my specific needs, an entire years' supply costs about $3,000.00 USD, which means I'm going to be busy trying to acquire the money for this. Which means that my ability to play TEC will be severely curtailed.

If you'd like to help me get back in decent shape, have a look here.

I'll try to wrap up as much of the loose ends that I have around as possible by the end of the week. Beyond that, who knows?
    "I'm not a bad man, I'm just overwhelmed..." She Wants Revenge, These Things

You can't bring sexy back without a receipt.

Originally posted by xiaozh
    I got XCIX problems but a troll ain't one.

Man, MS is tough. You know I'm cheering for you, and I sincerely hope that you raise the funds for the holistic approach. Kidney failure's no joke, so I really hope it doesn't come to that!

Cheers, Rory.

Comment

Wishing you the best.

Hope you are surrounded by loving and caring people at this time.
      A man in a bright orange mask in the shape of a sunburst gently strikes a small brass gong with a leather-wrapped rod.

Comment

I'll donate when I can!

Glad you're feeling better.

Comment

Drink a lot of water. Eat as many grams of protein as you weigh. So, 150 grams of protein a day.. Shakes are baller. Fish is the best protein you can get. Walking, as little as it seems, is actually ridiculously amazing for staying in good health. Stretching is not only good for your body, it's a great way of relaxing, and that's an obvious benefit to a longer life.

Do this, and you'll keep the muscle mass, trim the body fat and live longer.

Hope this helps. I'm broke as balls, so I can't help with the funds.

Comment

I didn't know Twen was a nutritionist. And I doubt, with Rory's height included, that he has excess anything between his skin and his bones. I guess what I'm saying is to not try to play doctor or nutritionist; this is serious.

Anyway, good luck with this, Rory. I lost my cousin earlier this year; he was a heart transplant recipient and all of his organs began to shut down on him. He was on dialysis for part of the year last year and then finally succumbed to cardiac arrest after years of trying to get his rejection meds just right.

Wishing you the best.

Comment

Don't have much extra cash right now. But you know I'm with ya'.
              Originally posted by Mast3rmind
              Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
              Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
              Ravenlark pats you.
              Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Originally posted by Attica View Post
                Words.
                Cool. Here I am taking this completely serious and giving my advice on the subject. Is that wrong? How was my post not serious? How was it not something that should have been said? His doctor likely did the same thing. PM me if your wanting to talk about my nutrition background. Pretty sure I know what he hell I'm talking about. Sorry for the derail

Comment

Originally posted by Attica View Post
                  I didn't know Twen was a nutritionist. And I doubt, with Rory's height included, that he has excess anything between his skin and his bones. I guess what I'm saying is to not try to play doctor or nutritionist; this is serious.
                  Yes, it's serious, and there's nothing wrong with dodgy nutritional advice to somebody who's mature enough to do his own due diligence. Rory's already given up on using only orthodox medical treatment, because it didn't work well enough.

In that vein, if you're having kidney problems, check whether you can afford to drink a whole lot of water. Kidneys remove stuff that you need removed, and they can do that easier with lots of water, provided they aren't damaged in ways that make too much water a issue.

If you drink a whole lot of water, damaged kidneys may let lots of things out that you need to keep in. So experiment with getting more of those things. Notably water-soluble vitamins, also minerals, also things that people don't think of as vitamins because you usually get or make plenty of them. Of course if you get too much of some of them they may damage you before you can get rid of them.....

Try to make sure you get enough protein, but when you get too much you degrade it into toxic waste products which your kidneys must remove. It helps to get a good balance of amino acids but nobody knows just what balance you need. Protein from plant sources is likely to be unbalanced. Meat will give you the right balance for muscles. Organ meat might give you the right balance for those particular organs. You plain don't know what undiscovered vitamins etc are necessary, particularly when there's something wrong with you. Following this logic to its farthest conclusion would lead to the suggestion to keep a colony of disease-free mice that you feed healthy things to, and then force yourself to eat a couple of raw mice a day. Alternatively, you can hope that whatever else you do happens to work out.

Exercise is good within limits. Stretching is good. Walking is good. MS causes special problems and it can take a lot of creativity to get enough exercise anyway. "You can't fall off the floor." Swimming is good for some people.

If I was in a position to do unorthodox medical research on MS patients, I would want to do the following:

1. Collect human myelin sheath material and purify it. Do ultrafiltration to reduce the chance of viruses in it.

2. For each patient, a week ahead do hypnosis to tell them they will get an injection of the things their immune systems must not reject. Ask them under hypnosis to be ready to train their immune systems not to reject this material.

3. Repeat the hypnosis the day before and the day of the injection.

4. Repeat the hypnosis and injection a couple of times, at some interval other than the 2 week immune response one.

The idea is that the hypnosis might help the patient tune his immune system not to attack his own nerves. It couldn't hurt. And the injections might show his immune system what they shouldn't reject. That can hurt, his immune system might in fact attack harder because of it. I figure the lower the quality of life already, the less that chance matters. Also there's a chance he might start to respond less to something in the injection that should not be there -- some virus etc which he does need to respond to. The better the samples can be purified the less that's an issue.

This sort of thing would be hard to justify in reality, because some adverse effects would likely show up immediately, while the benefit would be the absence of things that might not have happened without treatment.

Say you do the injection and somebody immediately gets a rash, showing their immune system is in fact responding badly. You find out right away. Say they go for 5 years without a relapse. They might have done that anyway. If there are bad results in some cases, those results will show up quickly. If there are good results they will show up in the statistics over a period of years, longer than a research grant.

So I doubt this research can be done at all under current conditions.
                  http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20090706

Comment

[QUOTE=Tweninger;976530]Drink a lot of water.[/b]

At least a gallon a day- sometimes double that.

Eat as many grams of protein as you weigh. So, 150 grams of protein a day.. Shakes are baller.
                    Already on the best mass gainer I could find- you actually need to nearly triple the amount of protein I need a day. What you just described sounds like breakfast. Then again, due to a damaged hypothalamus, my metabolism is stuck on overdrive.

Fish is the best protein you can get.
                    This is playing Russian Roulette, given my violent allergy to shellfish. Given that they tend to be stored and/or handled together (especially out here in Montana, I've noticed), I can't risk anaphylaxis. It's Chicken, Beef, Eggs, and Pork for me.

Walking, as little as it seems, is actually ridiculously amazing for staying in good health. Stretching is not only good for your body, it's a great way of relaxing, and that's an obvious benefit to a longer life.
                    I walk anywhere from 2-5 miles a day (no access to a car necessitates this). As far as stretching goes, the first hour after I wake up is devoted to the modified yoga routine I do to get my legs and back to unlock.

Do this, and you'll keep the muscle mass, trim the body fat and live longer.
                    Yeah, that's the problem. I'm at about 6.75% body fat and most of my musculature has evaporated. I've gotten the definition back, but my body just can't meet the demands at the moment.

Hope this helps. I'm broke as balls, so I can't help with the funds.
                    I appreciate the advice, but I got this. Thanks for offering though. Any little bit helps, right?

Comment

Again, Roadstrom, I appreciate the advice, but I got this. Do some research into what Reliv actually is (link provided in the initial post). Basically I'm overdosing on vitamins to force my body to absorb enough of them to help rebuild. It's a little more finessed than that, but that's the easiest way I can explain it.

With regards to myelin sheathing... that wouldn't work, Roadstrom, purified or not. You run into the same problems with organ rejection, but on a higher scale. You may inadvertently make the disease worse, in fact. I appreciate the idea, but our technology isn't on your level yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
                        Again, Roadstrom, I appreciate the advice, but I got this. Do some research into what Reliv actually is (link provided in the initial post). Basically I'm overdosing on vitamins to force my body to absorb enough of them to help rebuild. It's a little more finessed than that, but that's the easiest way I can explain it.
                        You're drinking way too much water, so you have to get way too much vitamins etc to make up for it. Quite possibly you have to get that much water. Can't win for losing, I wish I had good advice.

With regards to myelin sheathing... that wouldn't work, Roadstrom, purified or not. You run into the same problems with organ rejection, but on a higher scale. You may inadvertently make the disease worse, in fact. I appreciate the idea, but our technology isn't on your level yet.
                        You don't know whether it would work or not. Neither do I. There is the risk you and I pointed out, though. Neither of us knows how big that risk would be.

There are variations on the theme. You can inject particular peptides, hoping to get tolerance for those. But once you get inflammation likely lots of different antigens get targeted. You can try to kill specific T-cells hoping to stop the reaction at an early point. Etc. HSCT -- maybe. My thought is that with the current understanding of immunology we won't do very well by hoping we can do something we understand in detail, and then hope all the things we don't understand will fall into line. Better to hope that a functioning immune system can fine-tune its own behavior given the right cues, and I want to hope that a human brain can give it some of those cues.

It's vaguely possible that hypnosis by itself could do some good. As you notice symptoms, get a hypnotherapist to tell you that this immune response is misplaced and to back off. You have nothing to lose but time and trouble and money. You might possibly find a hypnotherapist who would do it for free, hoping for positive results.
                        http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20090706

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the amount of water he's guzzling down. With the heat rising, more water is crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweninger View Post
                            There's nothing wrong with the amount of water he's guzzling down. With the heat rising, more water is crucial.
                            BOOM!

You're like the John Madden of nutritional advice =P.

Hope you get what you need M3M.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirrius View Post
                              BOOM!

You're like the John Madden of nutritional advice =P.

Hope you get what you need M3M.
                              Tough actin' Tinactin!

Comment

Working...
                              X