I'm back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back.

I just wanted to say that I've returned to the game recently. I was arrested in July of 2001 (Armed Bank Robbery) and just got out in July of 2013. I was actually playing when the Feds showed up to arrest me. (I believe my last words to the folks I was hunting with were "Oh shit, the cops.") I thought about this place a lot, I hoped that it would still be here when I got out (there was talk of doing away with TEC 1d and replacing it with a 3d version. What ever happened with TEC 3D anyway?)

I doubt many of the folks playing today will remember my old character (Puni) but I have seen a few names I recognize. I tell you, it's like losing friends/family members to come back after so long and find that nearly everyone I knew is gone.

The gameworld is very different now too. We no longer go to Monlon via a latter into the sky. I've heard the portal in the sewers no longer exists (that was a scary place, in the old days more than one very experienced character was lost there). There are a lot more places now. I'm looking forward to exploring them. New weapons, new fighting styles, training Ludii(?), occupations, wow.

While the gameworld seems far less populated than it used to, there are still some good players out there (a lot in fact, or so it seems to me). In-Game I've met some good folks and some assholes (not necessarily a bad thing, one of the really good RPers I used to know played a serious dickhead, he was all the time getting RP awards), made a few friends and an enemy or two. I've learned some new things and found I'll have to try and forget some old ones.

I just wanted to say I'm glad to be back.

Anyway, if you've taken the time to read this, I apologize for wasting your time.
    "The heat come by and busted me for smilin' on a cloudy day..."

Grateful Dead

I don't know you or your characters, but welcome back. This also has to be the best 'returning to the game' post I've ever read. It's got it all: bank robbery, drama, prison sodomy...it's a winner! Good luck on the outside.

Comment

Thanks for the greeting.

I'm not sorry to say there was no sodomy. I maintained my "virginity" throughout my stay. It only took one good fight. There are plenty of 'willing participants', only real knuckleheads get "bitched-out" I didn't do one day as a bitch.

Grateful Dead

Comment

That is messed up bro lol, Welcome back though
        "You should learn this well, admiration is the emotion furthest from understanding."

"The betrayal you can see is trivial. What is truly fearsome, is the betrayal that you don't see."

Comment

Puni was a locksmith wasn't he?

Comment

I don't really remember ya, only vaguely at best, but either way welcome back.. and definitely second Dink in this being the best return message ever.
            "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

Hell at this point, I'm glad to get old players back any way we can 8)

You missed seriously the entire pay-to-play only period, by less than a year on each end I think. Crazy. Welcome back, man. Your TEC3D comment deserves a sticky in the LOL thread!
              Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

Originally posted by Carrot Flower View Post
                Puni was a locksmith wasn't he?
                Actually, Puni was a big, bald, Gadaene Gladsman (that was before anyone got a bonus for their nationality, except the Altene's of course). He was married to Kearston, a healer/gladswoman.

Grateful Dead

Comment

Originally posted by DeadheadZ66 View Post
                  Actually, Puni was a big, bald, Gadaene Gladsman (that was before anyone got a bonus for their nationality, except the Altene's of course). He was married to Kearston, a healer/gladswoman.
                  I started playing in 2000, so I did play when people chose Altene so they could get a free weapon to play a thief/healer/whatever. I vaguely remember the name and for some reason thought locksmith. I did a search on the forums, and I definitely remember your old WA name.

Welcome back though. I can't imagine thinking about getting back to playing TEC for so long. Glad we were here when you got out.

Comment

Originally posted by masterz View Post
                    Your TEC3D comment deserves a sticky in the LOL thread!
                    Had a little time to kill and went back to check old threads. Saw this. So, does anyone here remember the attempt at TEC3D? Could anyone tell me what happened with it? I think they were freshly into Beta when I got locked up. The staff (read: Scott) was so stoked about it they were preparing to shut down TEC1D (as it was named by the player-base). There was great weeping and gnashing of teeth. Glad to see the old version stuck around.

Grateful Dead

Comment

Originally posted by DeadheadZ66 View Post
                      Had a little time to kill and went back to check old threads. Saw this. So, does anyone here remember the attempt at TEC3D? Could anyone tell me what happened with it? I think they were freshly into Beta when I got locked up. The staff (read: Scott) was so stoked about it they were preparing to shut down TEC1D (as it was named by the player-base). There was great weeping and gnashing of teeth. Glad to see the old version stuck around.
                      I can remember asking a Gamestop employee about it several times. Once one even said he heard of it, look on some list and said it had some unsure "fourth quarter next year" release date.

At this point I question if that memory is even real, but yes even I remember being excited about it. I have searched for a game to match it ever since.

Best bets so far have been Eve and Darkfall.

Comment

Roma Victor was mechanically advanced and awesome for its time. Unfortunately the graphics were meh and bugs were crippling. I really thought it could have become TEC3D, but my favorite skillset was thieving and I never saw anything fun regarding thieving/hiding/sneaking in Roma Victor.

The most I ever saw out of the real TEC3D were a few screenshots, one of which looked like MTG-style cards for items and the other was of a thief sneaking around at the toga. I never saw any data on exactly how the mechanics worked, or ANY other IG screenshots. It seemed to have died during alpha from what I could tell

Comment

Tl;dr paid subscriptions to TEC1d killed the dream of TEC3d.

There was a big discussion going on in the forums about what would happen with our old characters. Would we keep the character names, what about the skill sets learned, what about RPs generated, etc. Would the old game stay and the second game just do its own thing, or would it be eliminated to make room for TEC3d? Well, one player had the delightful suggestion that they would be happy to pay as long as they could keep TEC in it's MUD format. A second player also said they'd be happy to pay to keep the old one going. Then many more collaborated with that.

After a while, Scott took notice that people would be willing to pay for TEC1d in its original format, and paid subscriptions were announced through skotos. Around 90-95% of the playerbase left immediately, most after distributing their items/money to other characters that elected to stay. This led to such a massive influx of wealth that IMHO the game's economy never truly recovered from it. TEC3d died basically immediately after the switch to monetizing the game in its original format.
                          Originally posted by Marren
                          YOU CAN'T HIDE CRAZY WITH MAKEUP, I PROMISE YOU.

Comment

Working...
                          X