Returning after a LONG absence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning after a LONG absence

Hey everyone, I been on Skotos for years off and on playing on various games, but have been wary of returning to TEC, because I had lost a character I had put a lot of time into. I played back in the days before the game actually migrated to Skotos and assumed my character with the same name as my forum one would be lost forever once that happened. Apparently she was lost and I am assuming that is how it will always be, though when I try and use the same name again it tells me it is taken.

I have now tried the game with various characters and just can't seem to find the right one. I begin the game with nothing and can't seem to find a way to make ANY money and am struggling to find a good fit, for a game that I am really happy I decided to try and play after twelve years!

I guess my main question is what are the best ways to get started, and where is the help if you need it? Profession wise or whatever? I am tired of not ever getting enough money whatever I am doing to buy anything!

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be appreciated.

Start like this:
    AUX Help me?

If any Auxilii are online, they'll run to your rescue, and provide basic starting gear (lantern, clothing, backpack, basic armor, basic weapon, basic tools of your craft).

Beyond that, money for new characters is covered in a variety of places, and you'll want to ask in game. In short, there's diving for pearls, milling flour, scrubbing fishing nets, scouring the streets for discarded-yet-salable items, and entertaining passerbys.

The Wiki is at: http://eternal-city.wikidot.com/
    Lots of useful stuff there.
    Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

Comment

Ask people.

The amount of people that give my newbies 1-2 talents for no reason is great. I will have to return the favour to fellow newbies.
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Welcome Back!
        A man in a bright orange mask in the shape of a sunburst gently strikes a small brass gong with a leather-wrapped rod.

Comment

There are several places you can make money as a newbie.

General Labor Jobs:
          • Milling Flour - Boring, but good rate of pay in exchange for fatigue.
          • Salt Collecting - Dangerous and unrewarding, but zero competition.
          • Mending Nets - Simple work for simple coin.
          • Diving for Mussels & Clams (that sometimes have Pearls) - Risk vs Reward
          • Mining quartz in Monlon. If you can get a free mining pick, or get one cheap (*cough*quick-grab miners*cough), this isn't that bad a profit. Paying for new ones cuts deep into that profit, however. They're damaged over long use.

Scavenging Opportunities:
          • The Alleys - Pouches & Sandals are leather, daggers are tin, pouches have coin.
          • The Pits - Rat Heads, Tails, Pelts... you get a little something for most of them.
          • Fishing - Grab a pole, and go fishing. You can sell fish at the fish monger in Blackvine. Won't get much, but it's safe, free money. Bonus if you're a hunter. Free SP while you're at it.
          • The Dumps - In the dumps, you can "search here" to dig through the refuse to look for stuff. Most of it is in fact junk (Though most anything can be sold to the junk dealer outside the City Dump - just don't hand him a sack. He'll buy the sack itself, and you'll forfeit what's inside it.).

Actual Jobs:
          • Locksmith Jobs at Riverside Locks.
          • Healer Jobs at The Hospice.
          • Tailor opportunities at various boards across the game.
          • Outdoorsmen can make torches all day long and sell them for easy money.
          • Hunters can trap til the cows come home, skin and sell everything for good money, depending on where you trap in what season, with what trap, etc.
          • The Caravans run to Vet, then Blackvine, then back to vet, then back to Iridine every day. They hire guards and pay out at the destination based on how many pack animals/guards made it there alive.

Odd Jobs:
          • You can always sell your services as a pack mule to help haul people's loot from far-off places, and/or a guard to stand watch over "the loot room" while people are off collecting more.
          • Brokers, with the right stats, can make other people a lot more money than they could get themselves, and get paid a percentage to just look pretty and hand sacks of loot to NPC buyers.

Also....welcome back, from the TEC Staff.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
            The Caravans run to Vet, then Blackvine, then back to vet, then back to Iridine every day. They hire guards and pay out at the destination based on how many pack animals/guards made it there alive.
            this isn't completely accurate, it's two caravans, not one, one goes from blackvine to vetallun, and back, the other goes from iridine to vetallun, and back. I've seen them both at the same time in vetallun. or are you saying that it's been changed to be a single caravan now?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
              this isn't completely accurate, it's two caravans, not one, one goes from blackvine to vetallun, and back, the other goes from iridine to vetallun, and back. I've seen them both at the same time in vetallun. or are you saying that it's been changed to be a single caravan now?
              I said "Caravans", because there are indeed more than one. I was going for important information meets brevity. Obviously, all information about said things can and should be sought IG, where information will (and can) be much more precise.
              Game Master Tale
              Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

In addition, you can email Skotos to ask them to restore your account. If it's the pre-Skotos days it should, in theory, be the same name as your character. It's worth a shot.

Comment

If you trying out a tailor trying running into ladona. I can help out with basic supplies to get you started and information on how to tailor in iridine. There are some of us out there that help new people so dont get to frustrated. As always pick the good and ignore the griefers. Its doable just alot harder than it used to be years ago. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                    It is, and almost always has been on a timer. Each "leg" is it's own separate caravan trip, with the drover vanishing into the crowd after his "payout timer" expires. So in theory, you can have as many caravans running as you have players/NPCs to delay them. I used to have the exact timing for the delay between when each one spawned relative to when the next one appeared but that was on my old laptop.

In my experience, this has been one of the easiest and least dangerous ways to make coin early on... provided you have the minimum ranks needed to accept the runs.

Comment

Originally posted by lykatos View Post
                      In my experience, this has been one of the easiest and least dangerous ways to make coin early on... provided you have the minimum ranks needed to accept the runs.
                      For the Vet trip I would agree depending on if you have any other noncoms. The Blackvine one is more of a challenge depending on what spawns.
                      Flamboyant

Comment

I too, returned from a 12+ year absence. I created a new account and started playing a new character. I have since been able to retrieve my old account (pre-Big Network, WAY pre-Skotos). What I needed was my old log-in and my old password. Try getting in touch with the GM on duty and seeing if they can retrieve it for you. I was told that those old accounts are _almost never_ deleted.

Good luck! And welcome back! Wow, how things have changed!
                        "The heat come by and busted me for smilin' on a cloudy day..."

Grateful Dead

Comment

Originally posted by DeadheadZ66 View Post
                          I too, returned from a 12+ year absence. I created a new account and started playing a new character. I have since been able to retrieve my old account (pre-Big Network, WAY pre-Skotos). What I needed was my old log-in and my old password. Try getting in touch with the GM on duty and seeing if they can retrieve it for you. I was told that those old accounts are _almost never_ deleted.

Good luck! And welcome back! Wow, how things have changed!
                          For the better!

And I would consider the Iridine-Vet transit more dangerous if you don't have rise ranks.

Comment

Welcome back!

I don't know you!

But Hiiiiiiiii!

I actually just started playing TEC in June 2014.

It has its moments. :P

Comment

Working...
                            X