• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bastis
    started a topic New to the Game

New to the Game

Characters:
    Bastis Created: Sat Feb 14 11:04:46 2015

It has been 5 days since I started TEC after over 12 years of playing Skotos. I have tried here and there, but never had the patience to try and make it work. This time, I was determined to try it and give it a fair shake and you know what?

I am finding that I truly enjoy this game! The mechanics make sense now that I actually had someone patient enough to help me learn.

I just wanted to say thanks and a huge kudos to all of the people that have interacted with Bastis. You've sparked my interest and shown me how fun this game can be!

--Bastis' Player

• |Onyxum|
    replied
    Originally posted by lykatos View Post
    Plus pankration. Just because he didn't use all the attacks didn't mean he wasn't using it.
    I'll just eat my words then. Never noticed the Pank when I used to fight him.

Leave a comment:

• lykatos
    replied
    Originally posted by |Onyxum| View Post
    I still disagree. Shizdain proved pretty well that it's viable.

Maxed speed + maxed strength + grapples, kneebreak, footstomp.
    Plus pankration. Just because he didn't use all the attacks didn't mean he wasn't using it.

Leave a comment:

• |Onyxum|
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Powers View Post
    Just not true, if a pure brawler beats anyone within 2000 ranks of them the other person was awful or the brawler started zerk and happened to pull off the first stomp/grapple combo.
    I still disagree. Shizdain proved pretty well that it's viable.

Maxed speed + maxed strength + grapples, kneebreak, footstomp.

Leave a comment:

• lykatos
    replied
    Or got a crit kill with slap!

Leave a comment:

• Armataan
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Powers View Post
    Just not true, if a pure brawler beats anyone within 2000 ranks of them the other person was awful or the brawler started zerk and happened to pull off the first stomp/grapple combo.
    This. x1000.

Leave a comment:

• Max Powers
    replied
    Wow... learn something new every day. I was always told perception increases to-hit chances more. Never had the time or RPs to actually check. Didn't know about the speed dodge bonus either. I'd assume it's a smaller amount?

And when it comes to brawling, yes... Pankration is a fine addition. But I'm pretty sure brawling is completely viable solo, as long as your blocks are higher level (I think 100 is the cap for damage reduction) and you wear a pair of armillus' (armilli?), shoulder guards, and shin greaves.

Leave a comment:

• |Onyxum|
    replied
    Wow... learn something new every day. I was always told perception increases to-hit chances more. Never had the time or RPs to actually check. Didn't know about the speed dodge bonus either. I'd assume it's a smaller amount?

And when it comes to brawling, yes... Pankration is a fine addition. But I'm pretty sure brawling is completely viable solo, as long as your blocks are higher level (I think 100 is the cap for damage reduction) and you wear a pair of armillus' (armilli?), shoulder guards, and shin greaves.

One question I did have though... do Pankration and brawling blocks stack, if you're in Pankration stance? What about without being in stance?

Edit: Also, the various stats in the game are all going to have some un-forseen bonus to various actions you take. If you're a combat junkie, definitely devote your RPs to stats. You'll notice at the most unexpected time they come in handy.

Leave a comment:

• glenh
    replied
    Originally posted by Trisidius View Post
    All good, but unless it's changed...

Dexterity affects your "to hit" a lot.

Perception affects your "to hit" half as much as dexterity.

Speed also increases your chances of not being hit, but only half as much as agility.
    Every 10 points in dex (1000rp) increases chance to hit by 5. When I tested stat skills, perception was half yeahp.

Leave a comment:

• Trisidius
    replied
    Stats will affect combat, period. The stats you're going to be looking at are strength, dexterity, perception, speed, and agility.

Strength will affect damage done (and I've heard crit strength)

Dexterity will slightly affect your to-hit bonus, and of course, your crit strength (and possibly crit occurrence)

Perception will have an even larger affect on your to-hit bonus, and different things such as night vision (with the night vision trait)

Speed will affect... well... your speed. Higher speed = lower roundtime.

Agility will affect your enemy's to-hit. Higher agility makes you harder to hit.

From my experience, the single most important stat is strength. You want your hits to do more damage on average. Crits are awesome... but you should first max out your strength. Some will argue maxing endurance first for the extra HP and longer training sessions... but I've gotta say strength.

When rolling a character, however, you should look at one of two options. High strength and high endurance with stat skills to make up for your other crappy stats, or just an all around high roll. I try to roll my combat characters with a -minimum- of fairly good/good in the combat stats. That way, in the long run, I can max those out with stat boosts (1k RPs).

Others will argue, "Screw stats, it's all about the RP!"

RP is fun when you get involved in a really deep storyline, but it all comes down to your play style. I personally like to tear shit up.
    All good, but unless it's changed...

Dexterity affects your "to hit" a lot.

Perception affects your "to hit" half as much as dexterity.

Speed also increases your chances of not being hit, but only half as much as agility.

Leave a comment:

• glenh
    replied
    Originally posted by Bastis View Post
    So I know we can unlearn but how is the return on SP's? Furthermore, I spent gsp's to purchase brawling, do they also return? Or would I have to accumilate more?
    Half. So if it's 5sp per easy level, you get 2.5 when you unlearn.

You don't get gsp back, but can convert sp to gsp via "sp-to-gsp brawling #" at the rate of 1 gsp for 25sp.

Leave a comment:

• |Onyxum|
    replied
    Originally posted by lykatos View Post
    You mean brawling + Pankration. But for PvE brawling is only effective if you plan to bearhug/choke non stop.
    Pretty sure it was just brawling, and just Pankration... could be wrong, it was a while ago.

Leave a comment:

• Bastis
    replied
    So I know we can unlearn but how is the return on SP's? Furthermore, I spent gsp's to purchase brawling, do they also return? Or would I have to accumilate more?

Leave a comment:

• glenh
    replied
    Mmm...

Not sure if Japes had made any changes since the last time we did combat testing, but brawling was one of the skillsets that consistently won. The grapples were just insane.

That being said, NPC mechanics are obviously different... making grapples -usually- less effective in that sense.
    Last I saw it was changed so grapples were unusable in pvp, and pve one on one was viable, but elsewise the same.

Leave a comment:

• lykatos
    replied
    Mmm...

Not sure if Japes had made any changes since the last time we did combat testing, but brawling was one of the skillsets that consistently won. The grapples were just insane.

That being said, NPC mechanics are obviously different... making grapples -usually- less effective in that sense.
    You mean brawling + Pankration. But for PvE brawling is only effective if you plan to bearhug/choke non stop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X