Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

A Broken Heart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Broken Heart

I was recently hospitalized for cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, diabetes, and acute hypertension. I'm told by my cardiologist (which I need now - yay) that I also "probably" had a mini heart attack.

All of this was previously undiagnosed and came as an unpleasant surprise. This comes with several life changes like quitting smoking, giving up coffee, sugars, carbs, salts, and basically any food that tastes good.

If I am at all grumpy-sounding if I interact with you (answering reports, bell rings, proclaims, etc), please don't take it personally. I'm just dealing with some very frustrating situations at the moment. Nicotine, caffeine, sodium, and flavor withdraws, among other things.

I've also been absent the last week (because...hospital), but I should start picking up my duties again gradually. I appreciate your patience with me.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

If I can do anything to help bud let me know you was the first person to talk with me about my problems last year. Hope you get on the right track soon !

Vicyven's player

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
      If I am at all grumpy-sounding if I interact with you
      What's new?!

On a serious note, sad to hear mate, hope you pull through all good.
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Well damn.

I hope everything goes well! Feel better soon.

Comment

Quitting sucks.. I find that the usual advice, staying away from triggers, doesn't help much since quitting is already a major life change and changing what makes you want to smoke just makes it worse. Perhaps the doc could recommend some heart-healthy snack foods that'll help with the oral fixation. Hot water might be worth a try. You'd still have a warm mug to hold in your hands in the morning and the breathing in the steam gives a semblance of warming your lungs the way smoke would have.

Get well man. The game really turned a corner when you came around and I hate to think I/we've added any way to your stress level. If I were you, I'd delete all the shredded tobacco from the game just so I wouldn't be tempted by the reminder.
          Signature.

Comment

That really sucks man. I hope you get well soon! Do you like herbal tea? That might help as a coffee/caffeine replacement as well.
            Don't tread on me.

Comment

Feel better Tale

Comment

Random acts of evilness with your coding ability Tale... It shall help you feel better :P
                Constable Lieutenant, Station I
                Founder of Diamond Eye trading company.

Kyrah pauses.
                Kyrah's mouth forms the shape of an "O" as she stares at you for several moments.
                You hear the clear tone of a loud horn from someplace far away to the southwest.

<Aux-chat> Scolve: Like the difference between "if (cheese is 'smelly)" vs "if (fromage is 'has_odeur)"

A fellow player has given you Kudos! Reason: "Beacuse I cant even PP when youre online without being nervous as f@#$."

Comment

That doesn't sound like good moments to live.

But, good idea, drink tea. But tea contains caffeine as coffee does. So my piece of advice... find Rooibos also named red tea. It doesn't contain caffeine so it is free to drink for you.

Enjoy.
                  Last edited by Abeldor; 03-23-2015, 03:51 AM. Reason: typo
                  Vinian whispers to you, "[ brb just had a naked guy fall into my backyard....WTF!! ]"

Je suis Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Abeldor View Post
                    That doesn't sound like good moments to live.

But, good idea, drink tea. But tea contains caffeine as coffee does. So my piece of advice... find Rooibos also named red tea. It doesn't contain caffeine so it is free to drink for you.

Enjoy.

Most herbal tea doesn't have caffeine either.
                    Don't tread on me.

Comment

You can get through it man. The main thing is to stay focused. You know what you need to do so stick to the script.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the health problems man. Just take a break, I'm sure coding is -not- going to help your situation. Just play TEC like the rest of us :P

Comment

Wow...
                          Sorry to hear that.
                          Hits close to home for me.
                          Best wishes and a speedy recovery.
                          The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet.

Titus Flavius Vespasian.

Comment

I spoke (posted) a little too soon. Ended up back in the hospital last night not being able to breathe. Apparently I had liquid in my lungs. Might take me a little longer to get back to work in GM land.

I appreciate all the well wishes. Thank you for the moral support.
                            Game Master Tale
                            Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate. I had some family members go through the same situation last year. Make sure you take it easy and rest as much as possible. Overdoing yourself will only make it worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X