Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soylent (The kind that is NOT people...I think)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soylent (The kind that is NOT people...I think)

So, after having spoken to a dietitian, and going over my food budget with my room-mate, we discovered (not surprisingly) that I can't afford to eat healthy in the traditional manner. Pallatable healthy food just costs too much money. After I have paid bills, and purchased traditional groceries, on my current budget that generally leaves me with about $15 - $35 a month left for "everything that is not bills". Redoing my grocery list with a dietitian, and working that into the budget put me at about -$245, overall for the month. On the low cost estimate side. That isn't even counting the extra money for transport, as I'd have to buy a lot of fresh things, meaning more trips to the grocery store every month than my traditional biweekly trek.

Sooo...we looked into alternatives. I looked into Nutrasystem (if you visit their website, they are some of the biggest condescending a-holes I've ever seen try to push a product. Body-shaming, taunting, etc.) No thanks. I looked into several different "healthy meal plans", and all were outrageously expensive. I was beginning to get very discouraged.

Then I remembered a Kickstarter from a few years back - Soylent. I had laughed it off when I saw it back then, but now finding myself in the situation I'm in, I decided to take a look into it. I spent several hours reading and watching reviews. Aside from possible rank gas, and a 'meh' flavor, what I found was overwhelmingly positive. So I talked it over with my room-mate, and we decided to give it a shot.

My first order comes with free shipping and a free prep kit (measuring cup and pitcher that holds one day's worth of Soylent), I saved 16% for ordering in bulk (monthly subscription that I can cancel if I want), and I found a 15% off coupon online. So we thought "what the hell - it's only a month".

Once our order gets here (should be in 3-7 days), we should be out of real food anyway (next Friday would have been grocery day), so we will start our own little "30 day challenge". For me it will be no food at all (aside from my 1 pitcher of Soylent), water, and decaf coffee (partly because it's an appetite suppressant, and partly because I need some sort of flavor in my life).

I plan on keeping track of all weight loss (if any), and I already monitor my blood sugar, blood pressure, etc in order to make sure I'm not dropping or spiking because of the diet change.

Has anyone every tried Soylent themselves? If so, any advice? If not, is it something you'd ever do? Is anyone interested in my progress if I make any? I'd love to hear your opinions.
    Soylent powder is optimum nutrition with a personalized experience. Free your body.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

sure, a real person I know doing this would have more weight than possibly paid adverts I've seen on youtube.

by the way... soylent green is people... this stuff is just nutrient powders.

Comment

I've tried something much like Soylent in the past, but it was the same recipe/formula.

I had a hard time getting a good flavor on it at first. Might've been a soylent 1.0 thing, and with some experimentation that can be fixed.
      Took my system a little while to adjust to dealing with the stuff, which I'll not go into too much detail on for now. It's nothing too bad.

But the upside is that it does exactly what it says on the tin.
      Improved general health, saving a lot of money, easy to use.

If you want to go really extreme on the money saving front, you can make your own fairly easily as well.

Comment

So, about a month on. What's the status?

Comment

The product resulted in death, and cloning, with the memory of this trial erased.

Comment

Actually started on the 1st. I will tell you, it tastes like grainy uncooked pancake batter. However, controlling my caloric intake with it, I've lost 4.2lbs so far. No ill effects thus far except a deep and abiding desire for real food.
            Game Master Tale
            Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

What have you tried to deal with the taste so far? And is this the official soylent 2.0 mix?

Good to hear it's helping you manage your weight!

Comment

I'm actually doing the Soylent 1.5 powder, not the Soylent 2.0 pre-mixed drink.

Because I'm diabetic, I've used no-sugar-added Nesquick chocolate powder and it wasn't terrible, but my go-to is Hershey brand sugar-free strawberry syrup. Makes it taste like a generic grainy-textured strawberry weight-loss shake.

Chilling it for several hours does get rid of a large percentage of the grainy texture, however, so planning ahead is very useful that way.

Also, it's unbelievably filling. Drinking one full serving all at once makes me feel bloated and over-full, so I end up drinking half a serving, waiting a couple hours, and drinking the other half. Which makes it hard to do a full 2,000 calories (4 full servings) per day. I've managed closer to 1,600 - 1,800 per day with a bit of variation.Poor planning on my part due toi my work schedule has led me to have to "cheat" a few times just to be able to put calories in my body before I go to sleep (or risk going into "starvation" mode where your body starts storing fat for use later instead of using it), since even with a half serving I was below 1,000 calories for the day.

I've also had to get in to see my doctor and had to have both my blood pressure meds and my blood sugar meds reduced since I started the diet. Since I'm not taking in any excess sugar, My base blood sugar is 'barely in diabetic numbers, if at all right now' according to the doctor. And my blood pressure meds were causing my blood pressure to drop and made me dizzy, so they halved them and now I feel back to normal. The doctor said "Whatever you're doing, keep it up. You're going great!" So...yay.
                Game Master Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
                  I'm actually doing the Soylent 1.5 powder, not the Soylent 2.0 pre-mixed drink.

Because I'm diabetic, I've used no-sugar-added Nesquick chocolate powder and it wasn't terrible, but my go-to is Hershey brand sugar-free strawberry syrup. Makes it taste like a generic grainy-textured strawberry weight-loss shake.

Chilling it for several hours does get rid of a large percentage of the grainy texture, however, so planning ahead is very useful that way.

Also, it's unbelievably filling. Drinking one full serving all at once makes me feel bloated and over-full, so I end up drinking half a serving, waiting a couple hours, and drinking the other half. Which makes it hard to do a full 2,000 calories (4 full servings) per day. I've managed closer to 1,600 - 1,800 per day with a bit of variation.Poor planning on my part due toi my work schedule has led me to have to "cheat" a few times just to be able to put calories in my body before I go to sleep (or risk going into "starvation" mode where your body starts storing fat for use later instead of using it), since even with a half serving I was below 1,000 calories for the day.

I've also had to get in to see my doctor and had to have both my blood pressure meds and my blood sugar meds reduced since I started the diet. Since I'm not taking in any excess sugar, My base blood sugar is 'barely in diabetic numbers, if at all right now' according to the doctor. And my blood pressure meds were causing my blood pressure to drop and made me dizzy, so they halved them and now I feel back to normal. The doctor said "Whatever you're doing, keep it up. You're going great!" So...yay.

Good to hear you are doing well, Tale!

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post

Has anyone every tried Soylent themselves? If so, any advice? If not, is it something you'd ever do? Is anyone interested in my progress if I make any? I'd love to hear your opinions.
                    This is late, and you may not care about the information now, BUT!

​I use 1.5. I tried it as the only thing I ate for 2 weeks, just to see if I'd experience any serious issues and it was fine. Though I just meal-replace 1-2 meals a day with it while I am at school to save me the trouble time and money of eating fast food every day. If you find it a little too thick ​don't be afraid to add more water, and if you find it too thin don't be afraid to cut back the water. Keep in mind you don't get enough water from just the soylent so you have to drink other stuff too.

Drink it slowly. Do not drink too much too soon or the blood sugar spike will leave you very disoriented. Pace it throughout the day, rather than four different 5 minute 'meals' for the best and most consistent energy levels. I just keep it in two sports bottles (2x 500 calorie servings) and sip one over the course of 4 hours. Having the full 4 servings would be 16 hours that way. If you are not making whole batches, make sure to mix the bag up really well before you make the cups. If you don't, you get improper nutrition, and can have some serious over or under blood sugars.

If you go from a regular diet to a 100% soylent diet without any warning you'll experience intestinal discomfort, bloat, and gas. But it does go away.

After a while you'll find you're never hungry, and are always content without ever feeling 'full'. If you decide to stop it for the weekend, you likjely won't feel hungry for an entire day, so make sure you don't go hungry. Make sure to drink water outside of what you're eating. If you decide to have meals, or sugary drinks, make sure to take this into account and cut calories of soylent to account for it, or you'll start gaining weight without really thinking of it.

If you're dieting with it, rather than just meal replacing for ease, make sure to track the caloric consumption well. Don't try to live on a 1400 calorie diet when your body is used to getting 2500 unless you want to end up in a hospital.

​As far as flavoring, feel free to throw some yogurt, coffee, cocoa, or flavoring agents in if you want to change it up, but personally I like most of my meals to be utterly flavorless. You get tired of chocolate. You get tired of vanilla. You get tired of banana. You don't really get tired of "non-specific vaguely sweet vaguely bitter vaguely savory mostly waterlike" flavoring.

​If you want to change it up and keep your diet slightly varied, I have heard good things about 100%Food too but I haven't tried it myself. You crave food (and for me, the social process of eating) a bit if you completely cut out the food. You will also experience more intestinal distress that way. I recommend eating 1 solid meal a day every day.

THREE more notes. 2.0 is actually much much easier on the palette. But the added price tag sounds like it is the opposite of what you want. Even if it is only 1/2 of your food for the day, after a few weeks your body chemistry changes so that your sweat is... weird. And your smell is... weird. It will be vaguely unpleasant to others. Though the potency of your body odour goes away, what you do give off smells vaguely chemically and metallic to others. And your feces is hilarious. A grey goopiness that clings to the sphincter on 100% soylent. Finally, if you open up a package and it smells like fish or has an acrid chlorine-like tang, there's been decomposition of the protein. You'll notice the texture and color are the same but it tastes different as well as the olfactory. Throw out the batch. This happens before expiry sometimes, so trust your nose rather than the packaging.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
                    HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Miss you, Culexus
                      VOTE!!! TMS

http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vo...e+Eternal+City

Originally posted by xiaozh
                      There, I saw Neptune himself demonstrating Hypnoticus Pirate Style.
                      Originally posted by SirLocke
                      Hypnoticus and I remember a time when those that wield tridents were gods among mere mortal men.

Comment

Working...
                      X