Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

Blast from The Past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast from The Past

Way Way Back = https://web.archive.org/web/19990218...-apart.com:80/
    21st Century Arrives = https://web.archive.org/web/20010527...l-city.com:80/
    Current Studio = http://www.direwolfdigital.com/
    Nothing much to say.

SOE Denver I believe closed in 2011?
    Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Yeah, it did. Daybreak spun out of all of that mess too and SOE Denver was basically shut down. Originally, WAP was purchased for their trading card games and the infrastrcture behind it all. Looks like Scott's new company is focusing on that entirely and has some products I did not even realize were their creation. Interesting history.

I spent a little time last night that I couldn't get some sleep during reading the news on the archived WAP TEC site. Cool and crazy stuff aplenty. I forgot how the pits came to be and the story behind some of the charred buildings on the way to the Campus Martius. Neat-o.
      Nothing much to say.

Comment

where did you read those?
        Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

I should have been boomarking that...as I had to go to multiple "snapshots" to start togather some info and I was randomly clicking. Anywho, from what I remember being there and reading the news clip:

Rat pits was an event when some workers were digging and exposed not only plague rats but a huge buried domus. It lead into this big open room with a bunch of corpses in amazing armor. Playerbase reaction naturally? LOOT! It was all plagued and people started to get infected, rats showed up, and then the room collapsed. Buncha people died.

Charred Buildings was very early and was a direct confrontation with the Cinerans. They beat them back but the Cinerans had occupied vetallun and also were roaming the grasslands for a time. I can't recall what else...
          Nothing much to say.

Comment

Man that is pretty cool, is this type of lore in the library?

Not really bothered with the library yet.

Comment

I thought this was pretty funny.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001204...l-city.com:80/
              There is no point in arguing with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Did you vote today?

I can't spell. Don't you RP with me!

Comment

Some of that Archived news is so damn immersive..

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post

The library has a neat shelf searching mechanic and it does house some writings by players that are glimpses to the past. Sadly, I don't think it gets updated enough with submissions. It's worth checking out though if you're looking for some nostalgia or have a character trying to learn a bit about what's happened.

Comment

I don't think so. The library is really a user based experience. I know I've put some works in there over the years with lore and what I know. Other than the Quill and Iridine News (which are both dead) I'm not sure if anything exists.
                    Nothing much to say.

Comment

Some of that Archived news is so damn immersive..
                      I recall way back in the day that there was a dedicated news team who would submit reports, almost daily via the website, on events. That is where these archives come from. Players would report on happenings, major events, and some minor announcements akin to a local news organization. People were very connected to the city then. It was hard not to be with the amount of people, character, stories, and events being conducted.
                      Nothing much to say.

Comment

Legion reports very actively report on things observed by Legionaries. Unfortunately, we actively stay out of constable jurisdiction, and obviously, we do not report on social developments. Also unfortunately, I don't believe Legion reports are appropriate for gameworld wide release. Perhaps someday archived ones could be reviewed and selected for publishing.

Comment

I think active commentary on the ongoings is a great way to keep people engaged in the game world, keeps the "what did i miss out on" factor to a minimum and makes it feel inclusive without having to have been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
                            Legion reports very actively report on things observed by Legionaries. Unfortunately, we actively stay out of constable jurisdiction, and obviously, we do not report on social developments. Also unfortunately, I don't believe Legion reports are appropriate for gameworld wide release. Perhaps someday archived ones could be reviewed and selected for publishing.
                            It doesn’t have to be a report released. A simple statement like

”Today in the Oak Woods a horde of Cinerans attacked some forest dwellers. What could those nasty people be up to?”

this is would encourage people to ask IG.

Whereas this can be found out if when asking: “meanwhile the legio found a glowing sapphire relic on the corpse of the leader which is able to resurrect corpses as skeletons and has since been locked away in a vault. The tribune of the legio has alerted senior officials of this new magical item and an ongoing investigation is underway to find out the origins of said relic! It is believed that a decurion of the legion is behind this plot and is secretly working for ravan”

Random lunch time post

Comment

So I got bored and copied + pasted an ugly looking Word Document out of every archived news page I could get my hands on. If you want it, it's yours, but I don't have time to make it look pretty. Just PM me and I'll toss it in a secure file drop and send a link. Of interest:

September 11 - Best Wishes for All

Following the world-shattering event that shook the United States today, we'd like to express our sincere hope that all members of the TEC community, their friends and family are well. Our best wishes are for all of you, and indeed the whole nation, in the next days and weeks that lie ahead.

~TEC GM and News Staff

September 30 - Another Victory for the BVM

We, the Blackvine Militia, all headed for the ancient bridge in Vetallun hoping for some excitement. We got it. After we all chatted for a bit a group of workers dragging some old rickety hand-carts came in. The leader of the group gave Captain Avalice a piece of parchment. The piece of parchment told Captain that there were some new bandits that seem to be led by Isdar, who have set up their base west of Salinae. So we picked some mules out of the group to begin with, Helio, Ixter, and myself to carry the hand-carts. We all picked one up and had Lorican ran ahead to scout. After only a matter of minutes we were attacked by a couple bandits who seemed like they wanted the hand-carts really bad. Within a matter of minutes more the bandits were defeated bravely and we had found all 3 of our carts and regrouped. We stood for awhile to let the injured heal and the tired recooperate.

Then we marched off to the north heading towards the edge of oak forest. On the way we encountered some more bandits that came from stolen swamp boats. These bandits had arrows drawn from the river pointing at us, not many of our soldiers were struck so we moved on. After 3 or more changes of the hand-cart draggers we finally made it to the edge of the Oak Forest, just to hear a brigand get mad at us. Captain Avalice decided he wasn't going to let us pass so we might as well take them head on. We did just that and slaughtered them. We then followed the edge of the Oak Forest to blackvine, only to see smoke.

When we got to the village square Governer Sedivain pointed out that there were Iridine Soldiers and Lieutenant Lanamor fighting Cinerans to the east. We all rushed over to see what was going on. The Cinerans were burning the meadows while Lieutenant Lanamor was almost killed trying to help the Iridine Soldiers. We slowly but effectively took down the Cineran Soldiers, Officers, and Footmen. Then we captured the Officer and arrested him.

When we got back to the Village Square Governer Sedivain told us some good news and bad news. Bad news is always first. He said that Blackvine has many new enemys such as the new bandits that threaten the area. The good news is that with everybody fleeing from the north, from Cinera, Blackvine is becoming populated. People in the town are beginning to say they would like to set up shops. This can be good for the economy of Blackvine. Then we were fed by a couple of villagers, which was so kind. Then Captain Avalice told us that we are a bunch of good troopers and did well. Another victory for Blackvine.

May 29 (11:30) PM - Danger On The High Seas
                              Several Iridinians soon found themselves sea sick when they accepted the duty of guarding a cargo ship. Captain Sailonius offered five hundred denar to anyone would come aboard his ship, The Marauder, and defend it from possible attacks. The ship and its inexperienced crew set sail shortly after sunset. Before long, they found themselves being tossed about by a violent storm. Even the most hardened guards found themselves surrendering their dinner over the side of the ship. By early morning the ship had arrived its destination. The crew of guards helped move food and wine on to the ship. As they were completing their task, a Cineran Warship landed at the island. A small group of Cinerans, led by a gladius wielding heavy soldier, boarded The Marauder as it departed. The guards quickly dispatched the crew. The return trip was uneventful and the ship arrived in port shortly after dawn. Tempers flared and a short scuffle between a pair of legionaries ensued. The fight was soon broken up before anyone was seriously hurt.
                              ~Submitted by 68792

August 15 (4:30) PM - Pompeii Captured!
                              On the 28th day of Aera, in the 216th year of the Republic, Pompeii Gnaeus, a former Captain of the Iridine Constables, was arrested by Constable Oxalicius with the aid of the flower-slayer, Aestro, and Fistandantilus. Pompeii was arrested for several counts of impersonation and a count of Treason. More details will be available once we receive them.
                              ~ TEC News Staff

Nothing much to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X