This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on GM played characters

What are your thoughts on GM's playing characters?
    I'm all for them having a deeper understanding of the mechanics and being part of the community, but where do we draw the line with their interactions in game?
    Should they be allowed to PVP and catch bandits/bad guys? In my opinion this takes away from the game.

Gms have been playing there toons long before they were gms I’m good with them being good or bad guys
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

how does it take away from the game for a normal character to pvp and catch bad guys? GMs aren't allowed to play "normal" characters on their gm account giving them the god advantage, just npcs. Is it because they understand the mechanics better than most? There are people who were never gms who worked out the mechanics better than most, should they not be allowed to pvp?

Comment

Staff player accounts are completely separate than their GM accounts and as a strict policy they are not allowed to alter anything on their player accounts as staff. They are held to a higher standard than players when it comes to sharing OOC knowledge between their accounts. I have fired GMs in the past for crossing this line. GMs being allowed to play the game using their player accounts is something that has always been allowed and is not something that is going to change. They receive no compensation for working on the game and I'm not about to take away their ability to enjoy it as a player.
        Game Master Sceadu

Comment

I would really like to complain none of the gms will let it rain fish

Comment

At least I don't have to worry about any of this stuff in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Comment

I think the GMs should certainly be allowed to play characters, and even influence the game. I don't, however, think that combat changes should be left in the hands of one or two GMs, seeing as they might be slightly bias in making changes to their own characters' weapon. I thought the BRP was a great way to institute changes.
              It was a group of players voted in by the player base. They discussed changes, and put it up to a vote. this way any changes made were based off of a 'democratic' system as it were. Seeing as any combat change effects the game on a massive level, they should be taken seriously, and not made in a way that could easily be interpreted by the player base as a knee jerk reaction, or created by a bias perspective.

Comment

I personally don't think this topic will lead anywhere. Let's be honest, there's only 1 person who could influence change on this and I'm fairly sure his stance is that "There's no issue, nothing to see here and no point in discussing."

While I'm glad to hear the very blanket statement of "GMs are held to a higher standard and any OOC knowledge shared between characters is a No No." It would be nice to know what measures are actually in place to prevent any bias or abuse. As an example, Can GM characters not manage Orgs that their friends are in? While it has nothing to do with OOC knowledge, this could lead to clear bias and favouritism. Is there any monitoring of who certain GMs involve in certain storylines to ensure there's no bias? That type of stuff. And while I'm grateful that we have a full staff of volunteers (seriously, thank you very much). It definitely should not mean a blind eye is turned and no one really checks unless someone is super blatant, because that's not exactly an ideal situation either. Oh well!
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

I've always believed that GMs and SGs shouldn't play their characters while being part of the game's staff. When I became a staff member, I completely stopped playing my old accounts and focused strictly on my GMNPCs. At that moment I also made myself a promise that I would never log into the game as a regular player ever again because I always felt it would be unfair due to the knowledge gained by such a position. As much as I miss the game and have wanted to connect to the game, I just can't bring myself to do it because of the above reasons. Still love you guys and miss the interactions.

Comment

While I did not hold such a staunch ideal while I was on staff, I did continue playing not so much by choice, I do agree that it would be better if they limited any positions that gave them an unfair advantage. Stepping back, you see things more clearly, and though I think I did a pretty good job at the time of maintaining a line, I can not honestly say I never crossed it. Your views are skewed while on high, it is impossible for it not to ever have an influence/effect on your actions. Coming back, I have seen rules that were put into place, are no longer adhered to, which I think is bad form. Though I can not see everything clearly, that is disappointing. TEC_Ghuan, check your damned email, ya goober.
                    Amatoria crams a fist full of biscuits in her mouth.
                    You pick out a biscuit from some biscuits.
                    You consume the last of a biscuit.
                    Dragaxus says to you, "You know you're quite sexy when you do that."
                    Amatoria spits crumbs all over, "You're just saying that."

Typically, 9 times out of 10 in TEC you are bored you just dont realize it because your brain functions at a higher rate and it keeps you from thinking about the possibility that you are simply sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

I mean maybe I'm one of few people who doesn't really follow the gossip of who plays who, but a public list of which characters are also played by GMs doesn't sound completely unreasonable. Just so I don't choose to steal from/knock out/arrest/spread rumours about/etc. someone who I think feel may have a bone to pick with me later on that actually has much more power IG than I do. But I can see that also going the other way where some people intentionally try to get buddy/buddy with them. A delicate situation to properly balance.
                      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                      A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Drag I get where your coming from so to make everyone’s life easier I play all the gms

Comment

Do GM combat characters that fight in the games have to pay premium for the RP investment to get 7 max inhuman characters?
                          If not, then they shouldn't be playing them in pvp situations.

GMNPC's are fine, normal GM characters are not.

Whether or not the GM's are playing certain characters with ungodly ranks and stats with likely no RP and little time investment doesn't really matter, so long as it's not during fights. If a GM wants to fight a combat character, create an GMNPC and customize the ranks.

Comment

gms on player accounts have no extra perks and have to pay for their rps and stat boosts just like you. Do you not understand the post by Sceadu? no gm is allowed to alter their player account, so you're moaning about something that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Sceadu View Post
                            Staff player accounts are completely separate than their GM accounts and as a strict policy they are not allowed to alter anything on their player accounts as staff. They are held to a higher standard than players when it comes to sharing OOC knowledge between their accounts. I have fired GMs in the past for crossing this line. GMs being allowed to play the game using their player accounts is something that has always been allowed and is not something that is going to change. They receive no compensation for working on the game and I'm not about to take away their ability to enjoy it as a player.

Comment

I definitely didn't see this post, so thanks for that.

Would be cool to know who the GM's characters are. I personally would be fairly hesitant on RP'n or doing any sort of conflict with GM ran characters that aren't GMNPC's, for a lot of reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X