Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Single Player Computer Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Player Computer Games

Well, I'm thinking about buying a single-player computer game to fool around with when I don't have anything to do in RL and I don't have an internet connection (or just don't feel like playing TEC). Most of my experience with single-player computer games is in real time strategy games, but I'm kinda sick of them. So I'm just looking for suggestions on some sort of single player game that's not too hardware-intensive. I was actually thinking about trying some older RPGs, and the Fallout/Fallout 2 series sprang to mind. Anyone played one of the Fallout games who can tell me whether they liked it or not? Or whether Fallout is better/worse than Fallout 2? Thanks for answering my completely off-topic post.
    Want a laugh? Or at least a smirk? bash.org
    Want a website? You know you do . . .

Ahhh Apart from TEC the Fallout games are my fav games.

You can get a pact where you get Fallout 1 and 2, I recommend playing them one after the other, alot of things that are in fallout 1 are carried onto fallout 2 (some of the story). But I play a lot of RPG games and I am defo sure Fallout 1 and 2 are the best. A bad thing about fallout 1 is that when you get NPC's in your party they dont level up, unlike fallout 2.

Hehe Also a kewl thing in the game is if your Char has a Intelligence below 4 then he will Talk stupid, and you can really get some funny dialogues going.
    If your into stragtagy real time games I would recommend trying Fallout:Tactics, although its more strat than RPG, it has got some RPG elements in it and a pretty kewl Story line.

Also if your talking about OLD OLD games, you should get the Apple Emulation and a Rom called "Wastelands" is basically the thing which Fallout got made from, and its a great RPG game with lots of little quests to do. The PC version of wastelands is apparently much better but I cant find that, so I just played a Apple II Rom.

War,War never changes.

Comment

I haven't played Fallout but I did have weeks of fun with Fallout 2. It's a fun game, lot's of little details make it worth exploring everywhere and there's hours of dialogue.

Another good RPG is Planescape : Torment.
      It's got an interesting story and plotline and a lot of char interaction.
      ZAPlist
      Marnevel - Blackening - Sirlocke
      Braelynne - Airlea - Abbot

Comment

Any Heroes of Might and Magic games. (NOT MIGHT AND MAGIC ;p)

I love HOMM3.

Comment

Dungeonkeeper

It's hardly new.. but I confess to addiction.

Might be to the minion-slapping.
          Might be to the really sarcastic voice-overs.

I don't know but its fun.

No RPG as I understand it, and no plot. No point really...

oh and the help book.. laughed myself silly.
          Shade

Never attribute exact words like frankness to a species which might not value it.
          --Hilfy Chanur

Comment

Been having great fun with 'The Longest Journey'. It's a gorgeous adventure game, which means I'm now addicted.

For a less violent role-playing fix, try the Sims. Get the expansion packs too. It's one of those games you get saying to yourself 'This might suck' and 8 hours later you're still blinking at the computer screen trying to get enough money for that new couch.

Originally posted by Mast3rmind
            Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
            Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
            Ravenlark pats you.
            Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Old School.

I still every now and again return to the Bard's Tale series, but lately I've been tampering with Darklands, a medieval Germany setting that reminds me a lot of TEC, with Alchemy and Divine Intervention sporadically thrown in.

And if you have a Commodore 64 rotting anywhere, dust it off and try to scam a copy of 'Defender of the Crown'. Incredibly addictive. 8)

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone who replied. I'll have to check some of those suggestions out. I'm definitely going to buy Fallout 1 and 2 - not sure if anyone else wants them, but the two together have been selling on EBAY for less than $15, which I think is a pretty good deal. Ebony, I love HOMM3 too - I borrowed it from a friend once and never returned it. I played it so much for about a month and half that I gave up on TEC completely. *flails* Vladmir, I really didn't enjoy The Sims. Do the expansion packs add enough to it to make it worth playing? Marc1105, I used to play Darklands tons several years ago, but then I got a new computer and it won't run the game. Either that, or both of my Darklands CDs are scratched. You know those little code things that pop up every once in a while and you've got to choose the right symbol, to make sure the game isn't pirated? I lost my slip that had all those symbols, so the game used to shut down every once in a while when I chose the wrong one. So, yeah. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Babe, try the Caesar sims. One through Three last I checked. A romanized simcity, much simpler IMHO. It's where I picked char names from

Comment

Will do

Will do, Ebony. After all, what choice do I have? You called me "babe."

Comment

Heh, was just thinking of teh Caesar games...

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are really great RPGs too, though the 2nd one is a bit more demanding system wise then the first. (Will still run on a slower system...just, slower) But all in all, definetly worth checking out IMO.
                      Tayron N'Mier

Comment

Nah, get Pharoh instead of the Caesar games. You'll have loads of fun waiting five hours for a pyramid to be build. Than, you can do it over and over. I guess I'm just obsessed with the idea of my death being forever immortalized.

Andrew.

Comment

Percie, the expansions to The Sim's added a lot to it as far as I'm concerned, but I liked the game to begin with. I know plenty of people who are obsessed with it, but those who don't like it usually have zero interest in it, so....

On the other hand, I will admit I played it a LOT more after I got House Party and Livin' Large, so I don't know.

Darklands was an incredible game, IMHO. I loved how they handled the 'magic' element. Invoking St. Gabriel and watching the trumpet blow, blasting the satanic graveyard into oblivion was a big kick for me. Even if it wasn't animated. That game just 'felt' cool.

Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                          Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                          Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                          Ravenlark pats you.
                          Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

The Longest Journey
                            Half-Life and any of it's mods
                            The Sims (I hate this game, yet I am hoplessly adicted)
                            Hitman:Codname 47
                            Grim Fandango
                            Soldier of Fortune
                            Baulder's Gate 2

Those right there are the best single player games as far as I'm concerned. (except the Half-Life Mods, most of those are multiplayer)

--Thomas King--Lucius--
                            "Well I Ain't Evil, I'm Just Good Lookin' "
                            Alice Cooper
                            "This Is Beetle, Is As Bad As Can"
                            Beetlejuice
                            "It takes guts to run away, you know. Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough"
                            Rincewind

Comment

Looking Glass forever

Check out anything by Looking Glass studios. They succumbed to financial problems a little while back, but they're still the coolest single player games I've played. Thief: the Dark Project, Thief: the Metal Age and both the System Shock games. Deus Ex really should be on the roster, too. Even if it was made by a different company a lot of ex-Looking Glass people were involved and it shows

Something else I play too much is Black and White. It's not really worth it at the moment, though. Give it a couple of months for them to patch and expand and it'll be great.
                              Last edited by illabrat; 06-24-2001, 06:09 AM.
                              will nobody help the widow's son?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information