Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Just a Little Curious.....(Armed Forces)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Little Curious.....(Armed Forces)

Are there any other TEC players out there in the Armed Forces? Not just the US, but any nation. Just a little curious as to the sort of draw this game has on my ilk. This just sorta came to my mind as today was Independence day and all
    TEC is a great outlet for the frustrations of a deployment overseas, to places like, oh let's just say Kosovo Anyone got any stories to share? I was also curious as to what the general opinion of the US Armed forces was....thoughts, gripes, anectdotes, anything
    -Patience isn't a virtue, it's everything.
    Iain's First Law.

I know! I know! But... this one got me.

Jet.

I grew up in a military environment, even did a term in service (U.S.Army) and my brother is still in, stationed in Germany. I can remember many Independence day celebrations while overseas. Or any holiday, for that matter. How many times I looked around our table (dad was a CO) and saw soldiers away from home, celebrating with us.

It never ceases to amaze me, how little people know about what a soldier goes through while serving in the armed forces. Especially around the holidays, away from home. So I'll tell you myself hon, I appreciate you. And what's more, I really do know what it's like. Hope this Independence day found you well, and happy.

*hugs*
    Brassy
    Originally posted by Max Powers
    There are a lot of options out there outside of screwing with rank bonus to accomplish balance. I am more worried about people getting bored of the game because there are zero roleplay goals to be had which leaves mechanical goals, and those are effectively being capped.

Comment

Actually

I just went thought the recruitment stage, and I must say that I flew through with flying colors...
      I am not sure where my future is going, but I am making sure that I keep many options open to me... and the Reserve part-time sound'd like a good idea..

Shiloboy
      TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
      "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
      "Shiloboy wins.
      Fatality.
      Keep up the good work."

Comment

to my knowledge quite a few who play TEC are in the armed forces
        *Is the most electrifying Gladiator in blood sports entertainment history*

Comment

Recently enlisted in the US Army myself, but I'm a dep so I won't ship out till next May. Hah! Thought you was getting rid of me didn't you? Not for another year.

Anyway, going to be a spyguy, aka military intelligence. 98c, Signals Intelligence Analyst. Sounds like fun. Getting paid to blow stuff up and listen in on people's conversations. It's great, everyone should try it.... but if you do, tell em I recommended you. Would be nice to make PFC before I go in.
          "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

To my knowledge, Avalice is navy, and Prime is Scottish Peace Keeper types..
            Least likely to train: Govan.. actually, I should say her player. Accompanied an alt of hers training once and after she had spent fifteen minutes deciding on the wardrobe, we got all of two minutes in before she was bored.

Comment

If you want to get paid to blow stuff up and listen in on people's conversations just work for the phone company.
              Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
              Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Originally posted by Kalonis
                Recently enlisted in the US Army myself, but I'm a dep so I won't ship out till next May. Hah! Thought you was getting rid of me didn't you? Not for another year.

Anyway, going to be a spyguy, aka military intelligence. 98c, Signals Intelligence Analyst. Sounds like fun. Getting paid to blow stuff up and listen in on people's conversations. It's great, everyone should try it.... but if you do, tell em I recommended you. Would be nice to make PFC before I go in.
                Hey, congrats on just joining the Army Feel free to talk to me about some of the things to expect in your enlistment. Just to give ya a Heads-up, my MOS is 98G, the linguist side of your job, and we work hand-in-hand with the 98charlies. So feel free to e-mail me about any questions you might have, oh...and don't go telling people ya are a spy8)

Iain's First Law.

Comment

Thanx all

Thanks all for the replies. It's nice to know I am not alone out there. Oh, and Brassy, I am almost certain that being a family member of a soldier is as hard as being a soldier itself. After all you have to put up with the long seperations and those periods of simply not knowing how we are doing. Tough stuff all around. But I am glad you can still smile about it
                  Iain's First Law.

Comment

I grew up a Navy brat. I know what it's like to be in a military family, it wasn't the best. I learned enough about the military to know that it isn't for me. I respect most people who do go into it (most, not all, I know plenty of knuckle-heads in the military and I bet you do too.) It sure isn't easy.

There are people who think that the military is for lazy people who don't want to do anything else. Well, these people should have seen my Dad return home after working a straight 48-hour shift on a submarine.
                    Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
                    Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

*LOL* Lazy people

Well, I have seen my share of lazy people in the Army. But, for the most part, my compatriots are hard working and dedicated. But the military life is definitely not for everyone. I have been able to spend 3 months total time at home with my family over the past 4 years, and I know that I was lucky as far as that was concered. I have friends in some of the highly deployed units such as the Special Forces who have had about half that time. It's a little easier for the soldiers who have their families stationed with them, but their families have to face many of the same stressed the soldier does when he/she deploys...uhg..thank GOD for leave
                      Iain's First Law.

Comment

I was going to join the army. They told I could go shoot people. But just in time I found out some of those people would be shooting back.

Comment

*chuckles at Nomad* That's usually the way it works

Atama, I knew there was a reason why I liked you. I'm a Navy brat myself.

Edit: Govan, last time I talked to Prime's player, which was admittedly a while back, he was in the process of getting out of the service.
                          I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
                          Or. . .
                          We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

Memories.

Jet,

Yeah, living in a foreign country "under glass" was stressful at times. Kalonis expect to give lil lectures to those dependents in those dodd schools if ever you are overseas. Maybe you remember them? The "OPSEC" lectures and all those posters everywhere?

I remember once chatting with my grandparents, and they hung up after some weird glitches and things, and this man's voice speaks to me. "Uh..excuse me. You weren't experiencing a "bad connection", I was monitoring the conversation and you might want to tell your Dad about it and have him explain about OPSEC."

I was floored! All I could remember talking about was when all my navy friends were expecting their Dad's home. Evidently, that was compromising information to national security. *eyeshift* Every once in a while I'd stay on the phone after a friend rang off, and he'd laugh at me and say, "Yes, I'm listening. You can hang up now." Talk about a weird childhood. I can't imagine living in the same town all my life, let alone the same country. To this day I still travel. I just go nuts after about 4 years or so. My nearest relatives live 250 miles away, and to me that is rather close.

*chuckles* Anyway, yes. Stressful, but I wouldn't trade it. It brings with it an awareness of how we aren't the only country in the world.
                            Brassy
                            Originally posted by Max Powers
                            There are a lot of options out there outside of screwing with rank bonus to accomplish balance. I am more worried about people getting bored of the game because there are zero roleplay goals to be had which leaves mechanical goals, and those are effectively being capped.

Comment

military

I'm considering joining the marines but it all depends on how college turns out. If after i complete my general ed at the local JC and i still dont have a clue as to what i want to do then off to boot camp ill go.
                              With the eloquence of a drunk eating his own puke, you stumbled through this fact completely oblivious.
                              -Maddox

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information