Computer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Problem

Ok I am just wondering if I might be able to find someone that knows about computers to maybe help me out....
    Here's my problem:

I am using Dial up connection, when I connect I am online obviously however, normally when this happened I would have a little picture on the bottum right of my computer of two computers together showing I am connected, what speed and also if I clicked on it I could disconnect. This was great and not a problem however now...

When I connect this icon does not show up, theirfor I cannot disconnect I have also tried clicking on the shortcut to upload the same thing again which used to work and I could disconnect from their however, that no longer works either. That just brings it up as though I am not conencted and starts to dial again, realisin its already connected it just closes.

To me it seems almost as though the computer is trying to hide that I am conencted to the internet I have scanned my computer with both a fully upgraded Norton and Pc-Chillin Virus scan and they both came up with nothin, does anyone know how I can fix this its rather annoying having to shut off my computer to disconnect from the net every time.

Thanks in advance

Start menu, network connections, there you should find your internet connection, right click it and go from there.
    <Captainobvious thinks aloud: Telena is a whore.>

Comment

Originally posted by Scaranthian
      Start menu, network connections, there you should find your internet connection, right click it and go from there.
      Actually I forgot to mention it but that also dissapears from my start menu after I connect its just gone, in that section their is normally Control Pannel and network connections, but now all thats their is Control pannel...

Comment

then go to your control panel and look for internet options.
        Or disconnect it and take it to Bestbuy cause it sounds like you have a problem

Comment

ok after searchin threw the control pannel route...

this was the route I used

-startup menu
          -control pannel
          -network and internet connections
          -internet options
          -connections
          -settings
          -properties

I found a box that you can click and beside it it says, "Show icon in notification area when connected."

only thing is the damned box is already clicked... this is quiet odd... anyone know anything about it?

Comment

That's "quite" odd, and simply delete the dial up connection, and create a new one. Be sure to copy down the username, password and the phone numbers. If that doesn't work, you can simply use the task manager and shut it down manually. I am not sure what it will be called, you'll simply have to deduce which one it is. If that doesn't work, just unplug the phone cable from your computer and wait for a few, then plug it back in.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may
            have to back up his acts with his life."

Robert A. Heinlein

"I would spread the cloths under your feet:
            But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
            I have spread my dreams under your feet;
            Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Yeats

Comment

If your using XP the task manager has a section on it called networking that has your connections right there. It is on one of the tabs at the top of the screen.

Comment

Just tried the Delete method, created a new one and its the same thing.... damn this is wierd, I guess every time I wanna disconnect I will just use the task manager then...
                Thanks for all your guys help

Comment

Originally posted by zeldaiscool
                  Just tried the Delete method, created a new one and its the same thing.... damn this is wierd, I guess every time I wanna disconnect I will just use the task manager then...
                  Thanks for all your guys help
                  Just stay connected then, saves on call costs to connect *remembers his screenshot he has of his connection time, 4 days 20 hours 34 odd minutes* ahhhhh 8)
                  This is my life, my pain, my knife, my gun, now that im back you can't sleep, im a nightmare huh...

Comment

I had better than 3 weeks constantly on AIM once. Sadly, having the internet permanently connected is why I went to college.
                    Originally posted by Ilaxandus
                    Differential equations AGAIN???? FML

Comment

I knew Scott was borg. See? He's controlling it now, to keep you online, and on TEC. Your computer has been assimilated, and you will be too, drone.
                      Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

Are you using XP?

Comment

Originally posted by Ria
                          Are you using XP?
                          Yes im using Windows Xp home edition (32)

Comment

Working...
                          X