Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

how did you find TEC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you find TEC?

Just wondering how every one found TEC when they started playing I found it while searching for Rome like 5 years ago when i was doing a report for school.
    [success 5:, roll: 96] With a quick snapping motion, you aim the butt of your spear at a brute's warclub and succeed at knocking it to the side! You continue the spinning motion of your spear and follow up the strike with a quick stab at a brute using the bladed end! Critical Hit! A brute stumbles to one side as an attack meant for his neck catches him square on the chin.

every fight is an intersection for two different stories...

Was told about it years and years ago by Flight's player. I can still remember my first action.

"think Flight is a homosexual!"

Result that happened 1 second later = Go straight to Nowhere, do not pass go, do not collect 200 $

-Sardian-
    -=Krandul=-

Comment

Browsing a now-defunct website community in late 2000, early 2001, and saw the link. Clicked on it out of curiosity, and the rest is history.
      Go here. Y'know you want to.

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They never see me comin'." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

It's scientific fact that intelligence is directly proportional to the number of idiots you piss off.
      Originally posted by Japes
      To quote Bruce, "Ego sum rex Romanus, et super gramattica."

Comment

Was playing an online game called Utopia and a buddy in my kingdom was like, "Hey, Im playin this cool game. You should check it out". I think his name IG was Firelord.

First day, met Jolee, Anteros and Blaair in the dumps. Got rescued from the rats by Chyen and Shawntel.
        [Success: 5, Roll: 88] You twist slightly, throwing a straight strike at a brute with the palm of your rear hand. Critical Hit! A shriek from a brute marks the deep pierce by your right hand to a brute's groin.

Gorathos:
        If Chuck Norris played TEC, he'd be Ibios.

Attica:
        No he wouldn't you idiot. He'd be Praxum.

Comment

I found it in 7th grade from this MUD obsessed boy who wanted me to try it out. I did not resume it until 9th grade, because I had no job to pay for it until then.

Comment

Heard about it in a roundabout way.

My brother called me in the room to watch a TechTV segment about Castle Marrach, went and played that for about 2 years and someodd months. Would randomly attempt to play TEC, but only just started actually understanding it.

Mostly playing now because I am embittered with Marrach, though slowly getting back into Marrach.

JEN
            ...~...~...~*** Sylver ***~...~...~...

"I forced myself to die a little inside just so I could cope with the horror show that is my life." - Sin's Puppet Master

Comment

My friend told me about MUDs, so I started searching for one. I found a site that had a bunch of random MUD links, and I just chose TEC as the first one. Hurray.
              ------------------------------------------------
              'A man in a black hooded cape responds from afar, "What's up?"'
              'Scott responds from afar, "NP"'
              'Scott responds from afar, "You can share the poop with me too."'
              'Scott responds from afar, "Idjit."'
              'Bruce responds from afar, "Would you drop that bush, please?"'
              'Testudo responds from afar, "What exactly is a 'magical' berry?"'
              'Bactrian responds from afar, "Well that's freakish."'
              'You sit down in a recliner covered in SirLocke's pants.'
              'You are holding Bruce in both hands.'
              'You are holding Bruce in your arms.'
              'Jenn responds from afar, "roflmao"'
              'Japes says, "What? No one's found the holy grail and the magical sword of the worm temple yet? Wow."'
              'Japes says, "Oops. Shouldn't mention anything."'
              'Japes says to you, "Sorry, PK tickets aren't available on buildings."'
              'Jenn responds from afar, "Stop trying to aim weapon catch, you silly man."'
              -Within these forums rest my legacy-
              There's no "I" in "team," but there is in "winner."
              In Loving Memory... 11/27/05-12/01/05

Comment

from endurox...then we killed freely in the world of TEC.. long live Locanda.... *CACKLES*
                The only person who is allowed to kill people in mass numbers is god himself.. and its cool because he always serenedes you with trumpets to soften the mood prior.

Comment

Originally, I played Dragon's Gate, one of the first successful pay to play MUD's. It was a 2 dollar per hour game, and when my mom got a 2 hundred dollar phone bill, I of course was forced to find a free game to play. After about a year of trying other games anywhere from Diablo to Utopia to *some text based game I forget the name of*, I finally found a game which was of equal interest as Dragon's Gate, The Eternal City. I absorbed knowledge of the mechanics quickly, as they were much like Dragon's gate (the only other MUD I've found similar to TEC), and once I began understanding the social aspect and roleplaying aspect of the game, I found it far better than Dragon's Gate. While the game in my opinion has had some bad recent changes (in my opinion), it has as well had many good ones, and continues to expand and develop. I have yet to find any game including Halo 2 and World of Warcraft that has as much potential as TEC. Unlike most games, where I found the mechanics and in most cases, graphics, to make up 90 percent of the game, I have found TEC to be about 50 percent mechanics and 50 percent player base. TEC is affected more by the players in terms of constant roleplaying dynamics than any other game I've found, which is why the players of TEC are what make this game the best (Aside from a few griefers of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Othento Tiburon
                    Originally, I played Dragon's Gate, one of the first successful pay to play MUD's. It was a 2 dollar per hour game, and when my mom got a 2 hundred dollar phone bill, I of course was forced to find a free game to play. After about a year of trying other games anywhere from Diablo to Utopia to *some text based game I forget the name of*, I finally found a game which was of equal interest as Dragon's Gate, The Eternal City. I absorbed knowledge of the mechanics quickly, as they were much like Dragon's gate (the only other MUD I've found similar to TEC), and once I began understanding the social aspect and roleplaying aspect of the game, I found it far better than Dragon's Gate. While the game in my opinion has had some bad recent changes (in my opinion), it has as well had many good ones, and continues to expand and develop. I have yet to find any game including Halo 2 and World of Warcraft that has as much potential as TEC. Unlike most games, where I found the mechanics and in most cases, graphics, to make up 90 percent of the game, I have found TEC to be about 50 percent mechanics and 50 percent player base. TEC is affected more by the players in terms of constant roleplaying dynamics than any other game I've found, which is why the players of TEC are what make this game the best (Aside from a few griefers of course).
                    Holy Crap, a by-the-hour MUD? Geeze. LYNCH MOB!
                    'A man in a black hooded cape responds from afar, "What's up?"'
                    'Scott responds from afar, "NP"'
                    'Scott responds from afar, "You can share the poop with me too."'
                    'Scott responds from afar, "Idjit."'
                    'Bruce responds from afar, "Would you drop that bush, please?"'
                    'Testudo responds from afar, "What exactly is a 'magical' berry?"'
                    'Bactrian responds from afar, "Well that's freakish."'
                    'You sit down in a recliner covered in SirLocke's pants.'
                    'You are holding Bruce in both hands.'
                    'You are holding Bruce in your arms.'
                    'Jenn responds from afar, "roflmao"'
                    'Japes says, "What? No one's found the holy grail and the magical sword of the worm temple yet? Wow."'
                    'Japes says, "Oops. Shouldn't mention anything."'
                    'Japes says to you, "Sorry, PK tickets aren't available on buildings."'
                    'Jenn responds from afar, "Stop trying to aim weapon catch, you silly man."'
                    -Within these forums rest my legacy-
                    There's no "I" in "team," but there is in "winner."
                    In Loving Memory... 11/27/05-12/01/05

Comment

I can't remember exactly how I found it, I was just started to get used to MUDs in general, and I think I did a search on the web, or maybe I went to TopMudSites, I can't really remember, I think this was back in 00'. First started playing and I didn't realize how skillsets differed.

My very first character, Krythis, was a woodsman, but I thought anyone could was proficient with weapons in the beginning, so I attacked Phaedro, then I started asking random questions about combat, and I didn't really understand at first. It just seemed like spam at first, people were flying left and right, and the think-net was scrolling down my screen so I really couldn't see anything. I got annoyed and left.

Came back a couple months later and decided to try again, because I thought the chargen was pretty interesting, and I liked the difference between characters. I made Soleufain then, and went travelling around with Sylven and Aericia or something along those lines, got pretty involved and decided to stick around.

I eventually made Pheregas and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.
                      Peaceable out, homeskillet.

Comment

I was on Earthlink along time ago, called to complain about the service and the operator for whatever reason told me about a great game called the Eternal City. The rest is history
                        <Captainobvious thinks aloud: Telena is a whore.>

Comment

Chyen's player and I were friends. He'd been into role-playing games in the past - I'd never tried them. He found a few on some search engine I think and we read how they described themselves. He said to pick one and TEC seemed to be the most interesting of them all. So he read a little more about it and we jumped into the game. Lots have changed since that day.

Comment

Hubris' player introduced me to it back in December of 1998. I absolutely hated it at first. I played for about 3 days and then decided to stop since I had no idea what I was doing. Then I decied to give it a shot again, people decided to help me learn and here I am.....6 years later. Can we say loser? j/k....I think *eyeshift*
                            Quote from Usual Suspects

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Abbot picks his nose erotically, sending you into spasms of desire.

Comment

User-ID Nookie420
                              Account Holder: ???
                              Email Address: Nookie420@imtoosexy.com

Opened: 1:18 pm, Wednesday, March 08, 2000

Was looking for a free online game to play, and fell in love within the first hour. Stole a tool, killed a rat, licked a Phaedro, and spoke my first words as a TEChead while ig, "Nookie420 is too a cool name!"

.....yeah, I was all being a horny 15 year old girl who just discovered pot....

Believe me, I've asked. GMs won't change my welcome area name :-p
                              Originally posted by Blackening
                              As strange as it feels to say this, Nookie wins this thread.
                              Originally posted by Max Powers
                              The mighty Nookie reveals the secrets of TEC greatness!

Comment

Working...
                              X