No announcement yet.

Computer Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nano wifi usb adapter is like $6 on Newegg.com / Plug it in, Install drivers and connect to wifi network. Pretty quick and easy.
    TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
    Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
    Originally posted by Bucaria
    The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

Just bridge the two adapters in your "network adapters" page by selecting both, right clicking and selecting bridge adapters. Once bridged, right click the new bridge adapter and make sure the checkbox for "share my internet connection" is checked. Then reboot. This "feature" is sometimes a little quirky and requires other settings to be adjusted but its been a long time since ive needed to do it. Google should help troubleshooting bridged adapters though

Comment

Would have to use a crossover ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the pc directly.
        TRproclaim power!

The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeand View Post
          Would have to use a crossover ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the pc directly.
          Most modern adapters are either gigabit interfaces which transmit and receive on all pairs simultaneously, and negate this requirement - or if still a 10/100MB interface use auto mdi-x to detect if crossover cables would be needed, and automatically reconfigure the connectors. As long as one has it, it'll work, but if neither have, yeah it'll need a crossover.

Comment

...Well that shows the last time I built a computer or messed around with networking. Well I do a lot at work but it's on old Sun/Oracle storage systems and arrays.
            TRproclaim power!

Comment

...Well that shows the last time I built a computer or messed around with networking. Well I do a lot at work but it's on old Sun/Oracle storage systems and arrays.
              Your $6 wifi dongle suggestion is still the best option IMO though No more cord worries, your computer is connected wherever you put it

Comment

A nano wifi usb adapter is like $6 on Newegg.com / Plug it in, Install drivers and connect to wifi network. Pretty quick and easy.
                Thanks mikeand! I actually had one of those collecting dust. I had tossed it aside years ago cause I didn't even know wtf a driver was back then. Thank you for both reminding me about it and reminding me one of the cardinal rules-- install the latest driver.

Thank you thank you.
                Signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy View Post
                  OpenOffice, now Apache OpenOffice, is incompatible with Windows 10 (greedy bastards). Anyone know of freeware that can open Excel-formated documents?
                  Signature.

Comment

Google Sheets

https://www.google.com/sheets/about/

Part of the Google office productivity suite.

Or LibreOffice if you prefer working locally.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
                    Last edited by ToothlessRebel; 02-18-2016, 11:15 PM. Reason: Additional product

Comment

Nice. Thanks Rebel. Glad to have local use just in case I lose internet or something.
                      Signature.

Comment

Libre Office>OpenOffice, but it's news to me that OpenOffice doesn't work with Windows 10.

You should be able to use Google sheets offline. You just need to install the apps to your computer.

If you're still a student, check of Microsoft offers your university free Office for their students. This may range from just "Office online" access (not really worth bothering with, at least in my experience) to the full suite.

Comment

Originally posted by xiaozh View Post
                          OpenOffice, now Apache OpenOffice, is incompatible with Windows 10 (greedy bastards). Anyone know of freeware that can open Excel-formated documents?
                          Apache Openoffice works fine in windows 10. I installed it on this (new) computer a week ago and have been using it since.

http://i.imgur.com/XG1dbaL.png

Just in case you prefer apache over libre. (I do. Their compatibility with Microsoft Office is better.)

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
                          HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Working...
                          X