Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

New LOL thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You say, "Covfefe."
    Castael responds from afar, "Come on, man."
    You communicate to the administrative staff, "What i do?"
    Castael responds from afar, "Covfefe? Said out loud."

Comment

• You take the bar of soft tan soap and lather up your chest.
      You feel much cleaner.
      Your bar of soap is a little smaller.
      You wash your belly with your bar of soft tan soap.
      You feel much cleaner.
      Your bar of soap is a little smaller.
      You smear soap and water all over your back and bottom, cleaning everything.
      You wash a bit of the egg yolk off of you.

You feel much cleaner.
      You have used up the last of your soap.
      Where the heck was that yolk? Gross.

Comment

• Sceadu

There's a broken link explaining the forum moderation guidelines at the beginning of the new LOL thread.
        You accidentally put an extra http at the end and it parses into some sort of "this%20thread" message.
        Originally posted by Kered
        kill off Kered, thats the entire point of a role playing game

Comment

• Originally posted by A hooded bloak. View Post
          Sceadu

There's a broken link explaining the forum moderation guidelines at the beginning of the new LOL thread.
          You accidentally put an extra http at the end and it parses into some sort of "this%20thread" message.
          Fixed. All kinds of broken since the switch to the new forums. Thanks for pointing it out.
          Game Master Sceadu

Comment

• At the west side of the arena floor, A gladiator walks out through an iron gate, to the west.
            At the west side of the arena floor, A guard steps out from the other side of the gate to prevent a gladiator from leaving.

At the west side of the arena floor, A gladiator walks out through an iron gate, to the west.
            At the west side of the arena floor, A guard steps out from the other side of the gate to prevent a gladiator from leaving.

At the west side of the arena floor, A gladiator walks out through an iron gate, to the west.

He really wanted to go!

Comment

• A fox stops next to you.
              [Success: 95, Roll: 100] A fox snaps out at you, sinking its teeth into your
              flesh! Your charcoal-blackened lorica hamata absorbs the impact of the blow.
              You take a pile of torches.
              You say to a fox, "F*** off."
              A fox walks away to a forested slope, to the north.
              You nod to yourself.

Comment

• More like an OCD check point.

A soldier wearing a red sash says to you, "Halt! Submit to a contraband
                search."
                (y/N)

Comment

• Does anyone else make up stories when getting language lessons? I can just imagine the poor person at the center of this one.

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Where is your father?"."
                  (Man finds the woman he wants to marry and decides to ask permission.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Where can I find the local jeweler?"."
                  (Man happy skips off to buy a ring.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Help, I've been robbed."."
                  (Oh no, his engagement ring was stolen!)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Help, I've been attacked by a rabid beaver."."
                  (...stolen by a beaver? I mean, this *is* Iridine....)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Where can I find a local law enforcement official?"."
                  (Man calls for help.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Can you lead me to the local temple?"."
                  (Man prays at the temple for guidance at this bad sign.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Do you deal in leather goods?"."
                  (Man finds his faith, but due to his lack of funds decides to downgrade to a leather engagement gift instead.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Where can I find a local law enforcement official?"."
                  (The new gift is stolen. Whomp Whomp.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Where can I find the local jeweler?"."
                  (Man decides leather is actually a bad idea so goes to the jeweler again.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Do you deal in leather goods?"."
                  (Man realizes prices are indeed too high and returns to the leather dealer.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "What is your name?"."
                  (Man returns to his lady love, and gets down on one knee. But decides he should learn her name before they are officially betrothed.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "Stop, or I will be forced to defend myself."."
                  (Woman doesn't like this very much and starts to beat the **** out of him.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "What is that foul smell?"."
                  (Man is surprised at the smell of his ****.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "This phrase means "My name is"."
                  (Man tries to salvage the situation by introducing himself.)

A stout woman with black hair says to you, "I've taught you all I can for the day."
                  (To be continued...)

Comment

• Some random TEC factoids that amused me today:
                    • There are over 160,000 "rooms" in the game right now.
                    • There have been more than 260,000 constable creatures spawned in the game over its lifetime.
                    • There have been more than 996,000 thugs spawned in the game over its lifetime.
                    • There are currently more than 67,000 things in the game-world that you can sit or lay on.
                    • There have been less than 1,700 pairs of women's underwear spawned in the game-world to-date.
                    • There are several dozen secret little areas of the game-world that are and have been completely accessible since their creation that no one has yet found.
                    • There are several dozen easter-egg type things in the game-world that no one has yet found as well.
                    Game Master Tale
                    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tale View Post
                      • There are several dozen secret little areas of the game-world that are and have been completely accessible since their creation that no one has yet found.
                      • There are several dozen easter-egg type things in the game-world that no one has yet found as well.
                      That sounds like a challenge. Will you let us know if we find them??

Comment

• Originally posted by Tale View Post
                        Some random TEC factoids that amused me today:
                        • There are over 160,000 "rooms" in the game right now.
                        • There have been more than 996,000 thugs spawned in the game over its lifetime.
                        • There have been less than 1,700 pairs of women's underwear spawned in the game-world to-date.
                        I wish the kill counter didn't have to be disabled, I always loved seeing all the baddies I killed. Was like a personal factoid sheet

Congrats crew for an astronomical number of MUD rooms. Lucky we got to maybe 2,500 when I helped code for one.

The women of TEC seem to like it breezy. I'm sure half or more are played by the G.I.R.L. type though

Finding an area before anyone else is always awesome, I can only think of maybe two or three times since 1999 I had the chance to be that lucky.

And keeping with the thread topic, you GMs should totally code some random party outfit or a confetti explosion if/when the millionth thug is killed.

Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

• Kill roster still works

Comment

• Finding an area before anyone else is always awesome, I can only think of maybe two or three times since 1999 I had the chance to be that lucky.

How many are in the worm temple alone
                            The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

• A brown-haired man with a vicious smile falls unconscious.
                              A brown-haired man with a vicious smile topples off and falls to the ground below!
                              The plank walkway wobbles uneasily, the loosely-bound planks swaying back and forth.
                              You are no longer busy.
                              You lose your balance and topple off the walkway!
                              You crash through the branches and slam into the ground with a heavy THUD!

Comment

• Originally posted by lykatos View Post
                                A brown-haired man with a vicious smile falls unconscious.
                                A brown-haired man with a vicious smile topples off and falls to the ground below!
                                The plank walkway wobbles uneasily, the loosely-bound planks swaying back and forth.
                                You are no longer busy.
                                You lose your balance and topple off the walkway!
                                You crash through the branches and slam into the ground with a heavy THUD!
                                My anti-social woods character is not enjoying that change

Comment

Working...
                                X