No announcement yet.

If you're considering a new pc... DIY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're considering a new pc... DIY!

I've been busy researching for the last couple days in preparation to build another gaming pc. My old beast I started building back in 2006ish worked for a while with occasional upgrades and hardware swaps, but it is time to start from the ground up on a new project. And, just in case any of you are considering purchasing a new gaming computer, I'll possibly save you some research and you can decide for yourself if the savings from DIY are worth it.

I started with two popular lower end budget gaming PCs you can get on Amazon, and proceeded to build several comparable custom PC from the ground up, a cheap end, mid build, and what I consider a higher end gaming pc (not a highest end, extreme performance model).

The common theme among my custom builds would be the ASUS motherboards and AMD CPUs. I've simply had good experiences thus far with them (and I like to root against the big "chipzilla" Intel a little bit, haha).

I'll add the comparisons as replies:
    Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Pre built PCs
    Cybertron Borg-Q / Cybertron Stinger
    MOBO: some random AM3+ socket
    CPU: fx-4130 / fx-6300
    GPU: GeForce gt 610 / GeForce gt 730
    RAM: 8gb / 8gb
    POW: 450w / 450w

Bonus accessories: Windows 8, 1tb hdd, dvdrw

COST: 589.99 / 749.99
    Ephaelion says to you, "I can just picture in my head the grandmaster brigand locksmith spending days jamming repeatedly one such coffer, thinking 'They will all pay when they open it and find only a sen inside'"

Danasei says to you, "What is this reference to a flower other than daisies!? I DO NOT LIKE IT."

An urchin with tattered large sacks on his arms runs through the area, clutching a flint-tipped spear yelling, "Rue! Rue! Rue!"

Comment

OR you can DIY! Cheaper similar PC or spend the same money for a better, more upgradable pc for the future.

Low end is inside a Logisys 368 case, Mid is in a Rosewill Galaxy, High is in a Rosewill Redbone U3. Assuming simple fan cooling. All of them say they fit ATX style motherboards.

Custom Low / Mid / High

MOBO: Asus M5A97 / Asus Sabertooth 990fx / Asus Crosshair
      CPU: AMD Phenom II (or fx-4***) / AMD fx-6300 black ed. / AMD fx-8350 black ed.
      GPU: GeForce GTX 750 / GeForce GTX 750ti / GeForce GTX 960
      RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb / Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb/ Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb
      POW: 480w included in case / Corsair CX600 / Sentey Xpp725
      ACC:Windows 10 +1tb hdd
      COST: $493.76 / 700.21 / 899.30

So for the same money spent (or possibly less if you have reusable spare parts) you can get better performance and upgrade capability if you just put time into DIY.

If you don't have extra accessories from old builds laying around I'd say consider an extra 100$ in addition for extras, such as fans, new keyboard or mouse, cables, dvd drive and/or other misc. items. All the pricing info was from Amazon, I assume on a few of the items you could search around on Ebay or NewEgg and get an even cheaper deal on some of the parts. Reply if you would like any of the individual item price breakdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by glenh
        How easy do you find installing it all / building? Been looking at getting a new mobo CPU and ram but unsure of ease of installation (lose windows licence?)
        I find the build to be very satisfying just because it is something I got working with my own two hands... kind of cliche but, yeah... it's true!

As far as bumps in the road go, the age old knock on PC gaming vs. console is the compatibility issues, same goes for hardware so you really have to double check compatibility as far as parts go. For the combo of mobo/cpu/ram you have to check 1)if the new mobo dimensions will fit your case, 2) if the cpu is the right socket for said mobo 3) if the ram is the right type for your mobo and 4) if the frequency the ram runs at is supported by the mobo.

All said, if you do your research I've found the actual installation to be the easiest part. The way I got around losing my windows license in the past was simply adding a second hard drive into an expansion bay and using the old hard drive to boot from. If you're out of internal case room you can always move your entire setup to a new tower or copy your registry files from windows to the new computer, but I'll be honest I have no idea how to achieve that in any newer versions of windows as I am jumping from XP straight to windows 10. Any wiring issues can probably be solved by a simple youtube search nowadays!

Comment

Custom builds are great and really not that difficult if you've dabbled in pc repair before. Best bit of advice I can offer is to choose your heatsink wisely and investigate whether it will fit into your case properly beforehand. Nothing more frustrating than completing a build start to finish, going to seal it up, then finding out the case can't be closed because the massive thermaltake heat sink you bought is too effing big.

(Also Intel r0x!)
          Got Questions? We've got answers!
          Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
          Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
          Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

Originally posted by Baleron View Post
            Custom builds are great and really not that difficult if you've dabbled in pc repair before.
            From my minor experience with them, they're not really that hard even if you haven't done anything with PCs. I put mine together while talking to a friend online whenever I had a question. Finished in about an hour and a half. Helped my buddy put his much more expensive rig together and it barely took 30 minutes.

As long as you read the instructions and have everything you need, building a PC is like playing with an expensive Lego set.
            Flamboyant

Comment

Originally posted by Baleron View Post
              Nothing more frustrating than completing a build start to finish, going to seal it up, then finding out the case can't be closed because the massive thermaltake heat sink you bought is too effing big.
              Haha yeah, this is true. Luckily my old build was a reused giant hp pavilion tower from '99 or 2000. Plenty of room for the (at the time) super bulky Zalman heat sync I had in there. Most new towers wouldn't have a prayer of fitting that old thing... luckily the size of those has been reduced as well over the years.

Comment

Why would you use amazon? Use newegg for computer parts.
                Originally posted by Marren
                YOU CAN'T HIDE CRAZY WITH MAKEUP, I PROMISE YOU.

Comment

Working...
                X