Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

Roleplay tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druceo
    replied
    Thanks for the response!

I'm all for playing my characters realistically, so I'm not too worried about missing something in a wall of characters responding. My problem is what you mentioned later on, that I act differently in larger groups because I'm sifting through text trying to figure what applies to me, what's happening, which reply has been hanging too long that I shouldn't give it anymore, that sort of thing. I grind down to a halt where instead of chuckling or smirking or dancing the limbo whilst juggling two daggers and a glass of posca, I stand there barely being my character. Or I should make it part of my character I guess, seems a fair few people have 'dislike of groups larger than 4' as a hidden trait sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• ToothlessRebel
    replied
    Just like in real life your character can be overwhelmed too. He or she can miss things in crowded, noisy rooms. Maybe he does get distracted. Maybe she can focus on just the thing they are doing. Something trivial like a second conversation or tiny gestures being missed can actually be good. It can spark new RP when someone mentions that Alice kissed Bob right there while John was away and no one saw it. A sudden loss of focus can be interesting to both parties when your character catches part of a conversation and misunderstands leading to an argument about what someone called your mother. I don't think anyone should fault you for not immediately responding. If you don't want your character to be affected like this, there is always the scroll log. Review it and bring up how you were busy at the time but you remember Nelson asking to speak with you at that last party. It can move quickly in large groups and you'll find the best way for you and your character to handle it with time.

So long as you are not obviously behaving differently each time what's the harm? A bit of a delay has to be part of the suspension of disbelief I think. We are typing all our interactions out in an aging game that is known to have slow spikes anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Druceo
    started a topic Roleplay tips

Roleplay tips

Hey there,

Seeing as roleplaying tips and tricks dont seen easy to justify in the other categories, I figured I'd throw the question in here.

Yesterday I was having a discussion in the WA about roleplaying and large groups. There have been several times when there's just so much going on in a single room (example: 10 people talking and being them at the same time) that I've been struggling to keep up with what's what, and noticed my own roleplaying slipping into stillness. While my characters usually manages to find a reason to leave or i desperately (overstatement) latch on to only who I'm talking to, I'm curious how other people deal with this.

So, how do you keep yourself in character without getting overwhelmed in larger groups?
Working...
X