Jail is stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jail is stupid

I know this has been brought up before, but with all the wonderful additions of varying complexity we've gotten over the years, why is jail still the same terrible player experience as it was from the beginning? With a playerbase that is a fraction of what it was in its prime, going to jail just plain sucks. There are rarely constables online, let alone online and wanting to RP with criminals in jail. Going to an jail other than the one in Iridine. There are not enough criminals to have anyone to talk to in the cell. Getting thrown in jail outside of Iridine is a guaranteed sleep off the sentence because the chance of seeing anyone zero. Why is it again that we are punishing the player, instead of the character? Jail is basically an IG version of nowhere.

We now have the technology to implement a decent amount of jail reform, which would still punish the character for crimes, while giving the player something to do other than playing an alt. I'm reffering to the 'mission' or 'quest' system such as the one implemented by the new Hunting trainer. Would it not make more sense (from a 'this is a game and should be fun to play' perspective) if instead of getting jailed for x hours, characters who have some of the shorter, more common (not typically trial worthy) sentences against them, get put to work doing a few tasks to pay off their debt to society. Run a caravan for no pay, donate 50 torches, donate 10 stones to mondan, etc etc. Plenty of restitution type quests to harm a character, but not the player. Give a time limit, so if the task is not completed in a reasonable time THEN your character gets thrown in jail.

Of course more serious offenses or serial repeat offenders would not get this option, and would have to be played out through the trial system.

Thoughts?
    Spectatum veniunt, veniunt spectentur ut ipsae.

-- Ovid

<Iason thinks aloud: HELP!>

I've made similar comments in the past as well. Even sentences lasting a week RT put the player out of commission with no hope of any RP.

Kjel has spent more time in jail then most characters but at least some of his sentences have been hours and a few days and not weeks and months. I think getting rid of think for those in jail was what really contributed to the decline. At least you could taunt people or have conversations. But then comes the "well you're being punished" argument about using a group chat feature in a text based gave from the last 90s.

Having said all that, I'd love to see some quests. I just wonder if there's enough manpower left to get them off the ground.
    <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
    Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

Start a protest when you get out. Burn your own neighborhood. Somebody might listen then.

Comment

Pretty sure the wagon trail that leads to the building in the grasslands was the new improved jail that never got off the ground...

but yeah, basically... Jail sucks. Not that i would know.
        TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
        Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
        Originally posted by Bucaria
        The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

Jail is supposed to suck. What good is a jail where you WANT to go? The player makes the choice to break the law, most people don't break big laws, and you're not limited to one character, unless you're a freebie. If you choose to break the law, you get punished, if jail was fun, everyone would want to go.

Comment

Reminds me of this:

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
              Jail is supposed to suck. What good is a jail where you WANT to go? The player makes the choice to break the law, most people don't break big laws, and you're not limited to one character, unless you're a freebie. If you choose to break the law, you get punished, if jail was fun, everyone would want to go.
              No, it's not supposed to suck. This is a game. Like many, I've played this game way too long (since 1998). Back when there were a ton of people playing, jail could be fun. There were GM interactions, constables to RP with, and plenty of other characters in there to make it fun. Remember when you used to be able to fight in there? That was fun. You used to be able to think and taunt people.

It'd be just as easy to turn on think, or even start using those cages again where people can throw fruit at you. Allows interaction, RP, while maintaining the purpose of the text jail.
              <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

Comment

Originally posted by Kjel View Post

It'd be just as easy to turn on think, or even start using those cages again where people can throw fruit at you. Allows interaction, RP, while maintaining the purpose of the text jail.
                I'm game for turning think back on for folks in jail. If they're being a true nuisance, then they're subject to additional IG consequences: a connie beating them into a quieter state.

Comment

You're confusing IC and OOC. Jail is supposed to suck for the character, not the player. Kind of like getting beaten to a near death on a daily basis shouldn't be a thrill for a character (Hence wincing and penalties to actions when injured) but it is fun for the player to partake in combat. Having to do some sort of mini-game manual labor tasks in jail, won't make the place any better for a character, in fact it might be a more severe punishment from an IC perspective. It would however, make jail a much more entertaining and perhaps productive (from a character development) experience for the players. You know, the people who pay the bills for the game to exist. I'm sure that there have been many instances where jail sentences were a deciding factor for people to downgrade from Premium to Basic or Freebie. Losing one character for prolonged periods can be monetized with simple math.
                  Spectatum veniunt, veniunt spectentur ut ipsae.

-- Ovid

<Iason thinks aloud: HELP!>

Comment

Speaking of jail, how do you get out of it? I just restarted my account after 11 years and my only TEC character is in jail. I have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by Superbia View Post
                      Speaking of jail, how do you get out of it? I just restarted my account after 11 years and my only TEC character is in jail. I have no idea why.
                      Have you typed "jailtime" without the quotes to see how much time you have left? Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting for the system to let you out, or you might have been jailed and held for trial.

Comment

I think there was a bug as I had no jailtime and no crime, but thankfully I was rescued overnight by one of the admin.

Comment

Maybe, then, we could look at a new system. Randomly, instead of going to jail, you get put in the stockade or that cage. It could be because a constable didn't like the way you looked at them when arrested. Same sentence time but you go somewhere else where you could still interact with people. Then turn on think back on for those in jail. And allow folks to fight. Maybe constables toss in random padded weapons as "entertainment" for them?

Comment

think was turned off, for various reasons, one of them being, you can get tossed into jail for being a disturbance in think. Fighting was turned off, because why should you be allowed to train, when you're being punished, amongst other reasons, jail sucks, because people who keep going to jail, kept abusing what they could do, so it was no longer punishment, but a safe place to be a dick to others. You won't get it back to being "fun" when that'll just lead to abuse again, and being shut off.

Comment

think was turned off, for various reasons, one of them being, you can get tossed into jail for being a disturbance in think
                              Punishing someone with an IC punishment for using an OOC tool then punishing others from using the same OOC tool that didn't abuse it but are in jail for a legit IC reason is also dumb.

When it comes down to it, the small player base justifies changes. People complain about no RP opportunities and that they stop playing when in jail. Hence why I suggested the random use of the cage or some form of stockade. Allows people to continue playing (somewhat) while getting their "punishment".

Comment

Working...
                              X