the dumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the dumps

What in the world is behind the crazy wild men in the dumps? Who comes up with kind of nonsense thing? A super fast auto 5 npc that you can't fight back against and chases you around the place? and 4k combat ranks on my character and i couldn't do a damn thing, nearly ko'd. All i wanted to do was train up a new weapon i had just learnt..

train on rats, or something, the dumps is for newbies, and has been for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by zeoric View Post
      What in the world is behind the crazy wild men in the dumps? Who comes up with kind of nonsense thing? A super fast auto 5 npc that you can't fight back against and chases you around the place? and 4k combat ranks on my character and i couldn't do a damn thing, nearly ko'd. All i wanted to do was train up a new weapon i had just learnt..
      They did it to stop the scripters who were hanging out there. All it did was annoy actual players. If that was going to be their approach, they should have done the same for the pits and vale.

Comment

It honestly makes no logical sense, but then again that could be said about many aspects of the game world.
        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
        A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

I enjoy them! I just wish they were more interactive

Comment

Bump, This hunting ground is completely unavailable even to top tier fighters. Please fix or completely shut it down.

Comment

I've never hunted in the dumps a day in my life...

just a random fact...

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post
                Bump, This hunting ground is completely unavailable even to top tier fighters. Please fix or completely shut it down.
                I think that is the idea, it is meant to keep anyone over x ranks out.
                Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

*Queue sunny days, birds singing, and a unicorn entering the shot from stage left*

There was a time when rats dropped amber and precious stones. You'd kill them, skin the stomach, and hopefully get some gems. That was changed, and then no one went there. Then people started using the decent spawn rate after the combat changes to script or just earn easy SP close to the city (the pits being full all the time). Newbies who could use it for that didn't so the crazy people showed up and they only attack the higher skilled players.

Now we have the Ludus though which makes the dumps worthless...so perhaps turn the dumps into something fresh like a voting area where citizens can go to cast their votes in the assemblies that exist in name only?

One day I'll get my voting and politics system...ONE DAY.
                  Nothing much to say.

Comment

citizens don't vote, only patricians vote. Citizens have a group vote, done in a block, so each individual doesn't have one vote... a certain number of citizens count as one vote, that's why patricians want clients, the more citizens they have, the more voting power they control, as the citizen's vote goes for whatever their patron wants, they have no say.
                    Even the first class citizens, don't vote, they are voted for. They just need less of them to count as one vote.
                    I could be mistaken, but for headcounts, I think it's like 250,000 headcounts, makes one vote... and the headcounts without a patron, their vote is cast by the tribune of the plebs... and even then, only in very specific situations. Good news though... anyone can be the tribune of the plebs, and cast the vote for the people, if the gms ever allow that office to be manned by anyone other than a gmnpc. (anyone being, any citizen, no foreigner is allowed to hold that position.)

Comment

That's inaccurate. Citizens cast individual votes which are tallied and decide the group vote as stated on the Third Table of the 12 Tables which is still the rule of law in game. The table mimics what we know about the Roman assemblies and is based on the same codes and structure. In game (as in the Republic), the two assemblies are organized differently, but the Centuriata operates on a class based, majority rule, voting structure that favored the wealthy and patrician class (this assembly included plebs and could include non-patrician players in the Head Count Century with 1 vote, or if they make at least 28 talents per year the 5th class). The Tributa was more of a popular assembly based on voting districts.

Everyone assembles into their class for the Centuriata (a duty the Censors have is to ensure class division is accurate) and for the Tributa into their assigned Tribe. Each class/tribe tallies their votes first and the simple majority rules. Once the class/tribes have their collective votes ready, they cast it in a specific order for or against the measure. Each class/tribe would vote until a majority was ruled. In the Centuriata, being weighted towards the wealthy, the number of collective class votes was higher the richer you are. So it is stupid easy for the voting to end before getting to the third class. RARELY (if ever) did it get down to the poor, which would be the swing vote. By contrast, the Tributa still cast individual votes and then the simple majority of that district carried the vote, but each tribe received 1 vote and a majority of tribes carried the day. Everyone was on equal footing there.

The assemblies have not been used in game, at least to my memory playing on and off again since 1999. They could be though if the 1st and 3rd Tables have not been discarded entirely. If the rules have changed and reflect what you said, that of course makes the entire post moot. But I'd like to see some proof of that or a GM comment so I can just go about my business.
                      Nothing much to say.

Comment

You do know you basically said what I said? Citizens don't vote... it's not one citizen one vote, it's a lot of citizens, one vote. And you don't vote for yourself. The only time citizens vote is for basic stuff, nothing that actually makes a difference in the game world. And even then, you don't matter, your "tribe" is what votes, not you. You only have the ability to influence how that vote goes, by influencing the person who votes for your tribe.

Comment

It's not basically what you said, as the information you display is at best part truth but there is not a ton of info in game and the only items I have to go on are the laws in the game, the court cases in the game, and the knowledge that the entire system was copied from the Roman Republican system. The entire Assmelby structure is similar to the US Electoral College. Basically it's a wealth based (Centuriata) and district based ( Tributa ) collective voting system. You vote within your designated unit (like the US does states). The unit tallies the votes. The majority wins the collective unit vote (your state total=GOP win then GOP electors are elected). Then the units cast their votes until a simple majority is reached and the issue at hand is implemented or defeated (Electors cast their votes for the President). The headcount, a total of 1 vote in the Centuriata, may never even be able to cast their 1 collective unit vote but if it gets down to them they are the swing vote kinda like the VP is when the Senate ties in the US. There are 150 votes preceeding them with a simple majority at 76. The first class alone is 80 centuries so if 76 centuries all vote the same way, the voting stops before even getting to the second class.

Sources:

12 Tables, Table 1, Census
                          12 Tables, Table 3, Assemblies and Legislation
                          Comitia Centuriata, U. of Colorado Classics Department
                          Comitia Tributa, U. of Colorado Classics Department

I do not know how the patronage system in game works (or was intended to work) but a client/patron relationship is a favor based one. If you vote against the wishes of your client it can make things pretty bad for you in terms of your own influence in the realm of politics, your ability to get work, etc, but you can go rogue if you want. As per the Tribunes, the Tribunes don't vote for people and they are not allowed to be patricians. They veto literally anything including each other. It was one of the most powerful offices imagined and during the last days of the Republic, a patrician even "renounced" his patricianship to be a Tribune (P. Clodios Pulcher). Mark Antony was a pleb and held the same office. In game , the office is pleb only as it was setup in 17 YR to defend the Plebs against Patrician legislative aggression. This is based on the Roman system.

Roman Tribunes, from Roman Law: Mechanisms of Development
                          Roman Client and Patronage System Penn State University
                          Nothing much to say.

Comment

Working...
                          X