Is Crit damage scaled on Base damage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Crit damage scaled on Base damage?

This is something I've been trying to determine for a while, as I believe it is a large reason multi hitters (looking at you staves) are causing the "over powered" term to be thrown around a lot.

My initial concern started after a blood spar where my opponent indicated devastating cuts by a reforged superior boison 2HAX at way above 200 strength was doing at most in the 20's worth of hp damage, and even in the teens at times, or less even on limbs. I'd always assumed that due to the nature of 2HAX, that the lack of multi-hitters was made up by increased base damage.

In other words I thought most fights would be like this:

5:97 devastating cut with my axe/strength might do 30-45 damage to a central body part or shoulder/thigh and 40-70 damage with a good enough crit

5:97 triplebash with a light quarterstave would do 10-15 base damage to a central body part or shoulder/thigh and do 20-45 damage with all good crits

5:97 triplebash with an altene mace would do 20-35 damage to a central body part or shoulder/thigh and do 40-100 damage with all good crits

In general, I thought the idea was that without crits, high base damage weapons would keep up to par with base damage, but multi-hitters had a greater potential if they crit on all accounts, especially when using heavier weapons such as an altene mace.

However, according to my experience with the blood spar, and my observations with even light staves landing multi-crits constantly (3 moves with 3-hitters now), I think these light staves are far surpassing even my axe in damage if the character has high dex and normal (130-150) strength

In other words it feels like that same light quarterstave, can result in the following:
    5:97 triplebash against a boison neck guard - no crits: 5-10 damage
    5:97 triplebash against a boison neck guard - all crits - 50-100 damage

As much as I love watching staves beat down gladiators, I really think that crits, especially on multihitters are far over-compensating for damage

Feel free to number-shame me if I'm off base here

Edit: A primary counter to my arguement might be knives, as I don't see them being OP at all, and in fact may need love. but I don't have much to go on for them

Sorry if this isn't what your asking but I believe crit damage is just added to base damage, like if a crit does 20 dmg and the actual hit would've done 40 it would do 60..so I think where the damage difference comes from could be the staves doing 5 hp a hit but 3 20 dmg crits for example..I have not been using my 2ha long at all but I like the base damage and not having to do crits for dmg though I would agree that multi hitting crits is the best dps. I also always assumed though that the weapon type affected crits so that the stave you mentioned wouldn't be as likely to cause severe crits but I guess I could be wrong on that.

Comment

Yep. Multi-hitters have always been OP. Not to mention 1+MOS speed is far too fast for an iron-capped stave. Why should a 7-8 foot long stick be as fast as a dagger? Staves still have primo DPS and haven’t been nerfed enough IMO.

Also, certain weapons that donít have any multi hitters, or very few, seem to be too slow and they donít get an additional speed drop at Outstanding (but OP Staves do, go figure?). Thereí’s a few imbalances here and there that still irk me.

It might sound like Iím picking on staves, but itís for good reason after seeing what I could do with them in two months of training before I quit in 2015. Whips are useless and Knives are meh right now. I have one shot people with one prone spinstrike.

Only solution I can think of is capping the crit quality on the additional hits. No more triple bone breaks. I also think thereís something broken past 200 Dex because the crit quality after that appears to be insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyril View Post
        I also always assumed though that the weapon type affected crits so that the stave you mentioned wouldn't be as likely to cause severe crits but I guess I could be wrong on that.
        This used to also be an assumption I had, however whenever I'm in the Colosseum with another player around the same skill as me with staves, I see break after break after break, even with light staves. Here's a good excerpt

[Success: 5, Roll: 60] You slide your lower hand up the grip of your two-handed bronze axe and swing the haft at a gladiator! He suffers a bruise to his right thigh.
        Attendants drag the wounded body of the gladiator off of the arena floor to be tended to.
        Stepping slightly to the side, a man in a sooty black helmet brings his light quarterstave with leather grips down in a forward spin and unleashes several rapid strikes at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Hard blow to a gladiator's neck snaps it like a twig! A gladiator gasps for breath, clutching at his neck after a hard hit to the throat! A man in a sooty black helmet forces a gladiator to take several steps back and assume a defensive posture.
        With a fluid back and forth motion, a gladiator strikes at a man in a sooty black helmet with the tip of his short whip, but misses. A man in a sooty black helmet steps to the side, avoiding a gladiator's attack.
        You are no longer busy.
        A gladiator is not close enough.
        Bashing downwards with his light quarterstave with leather grips, a man in a sooty black helmet strikes at a gladiator then steps forward quickly to release a side strike before spinning completely around for yet another! Critical Hit! A man in a sooty black helmet fails to do any further damage. A man in a sooty black helmet's strike catches a gladiator off-guard, and he falls back to reconsider the situation. A gladiator bites hard into his tongue when a man in a sooty black helmet hits him hard in the face.
        You move toward a gladiator.
        You stop next to him.
        A gladiator attempts to skewer a man in a sooty black helmet with the teeth of her arena trident but misses. A man in a sooty black helmet sways to the side, gracefully avoiding a gladiator's attack.
        With light quarterstave with leather grips held at the horizontal, a man in a sooty black helmet steps forward and pivots slightly, releasing a powerful sideways strike at a gladiator! Critical Hit! A man in a sooty black helmet's strike catches a gladiator off-guard, and he falls back to reconsider the situation.
        [Success: 5, Roll: 64] You make a wide horizontal slash at a gladiator with your two-handed bronze axe! He suffers a shallow cut to his waist.
        Blood trickles from a gladiator's face.

Comment

Let's not forget Crit Lore.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMAGE View Post
            Let's not forget Crit Lore.
            Disabled.

But beyond 200 dex is like having it on again, I'm betting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
              My initial concern started after a blood spar where my opponent indicated devastating cuts by a reforged superior boison 2HAX at way above 200 strength was doing at most in the 20's worth of hp damage, and even in the teens at times, or less even on limbs. I'd always assumed that due to the nature of 2HAX, that the lack of multi-hitters was made up by increased base damage.
              We can test this with Fel if you like sometime.

Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post

We can test this with Fel if you like sometime.
                Sure, lets just do it at the end of the training cycles so I have a few days to recover

Comment

Working...
                X