X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kered
    started a topic By Order of the Senate*

By Order of the Senate*

So going forward, we no longer have trials, bandits still get to stay alive now they get to go to the island, and if you have a corrupt head of either law force they have only senate (gm) balance? I get it, GM's want more hands off, and understandable. I just can't understand 1. Why? A bandit wearing a plate or a bandit with fuzzy spear is still a bandit 2. We put faith in two players today whats gonna happen tommorow if they are gone?

• Shiloboy
    replied
    My short response is: I love it

While I am not privy to all of the subtle nuances going on in the game I can see a part of the overall direction and - I love it -

So many folks seem to be focusing on just 1 dimension of this subject. If you step back you can see a much cooler picture if you take a moment to look at all the possible sides and RP out there for this story arc. For reference:

Once again Iridine is going through some change. Events before the Culling, the culling itself, and now this Order are a part of some larger story that we all get to unfold. This happens on a micro and macro level in the game constantly and I look forward to what happens as things unfold. Those of you on this post who seem to have a real strong IC opinion - get out there and make it known!

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    History of the clans were exiled that wage war against the republic, no trial needed.granted that could have been retconned. I used to have a pretty good write up from Bact when we first become active wish I could find it.

Leave a comment:

• Ilkilyn
    replied
    It's both Good for OOC reasons to fix the trial issues and good for IG storytelling. I think there's a LOT more going on politically and I'm looking forward to seeing that come out. As for generating more bandits. From a purely IC perspective, this isn't true, as the island is NOT a fun place to build up your own bandit army. It's a place all IGly fear going to. OOCly, sure some people will want to try it out, but even if 100 players create chars purely for this purpose, 100 bandits die IG every day in the traevant, so it's a very small number compared to the bandits we already have.

I think what a lot of people are missing is the EoTR flag that's on the NPC bandits that allows for execution at will. You can basically assume these people have already been tried and labeled EOTR's Sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense that thousands of people are getting trials and being exiled out to the woods, especially with this new change that should stop that, but I'd hate to see every NPC bandit stop spawning in their current places and start spawning only on Cullaiden island.

ICly this just has to be a "thing" that we accept as truth. That all of the bandit NPC's are actually EoTR's, and that player char bandits haven't had their trials yet (unless they have had a real trial).

I would LOVE to see a PC flag for EoTR though that they could willingly turn on, and allow themselves to be permakilled at will, and attacked at will by law NPC's and followed/guarded by EoTR NPC's.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Iím good, ive basically been told politely not to comment

Leave a comment:

• Syden
    replied
    Send Kered to the island and he can start the Australian Militia

Leave a comment:

• Holypaladin
    replied
    Wow, this whole decree thing got blown up a lot worse than I ever thought it was going to!

Was it the best roll out? No, there's always room for improvement. Is the change a good thing? I think so. Trying to arrange trials, even just trying to arrange interrogations of criminals is a real pain. When trials occurred, how many times did a bandit walk away with an innocent verdict? More often than not, there's overwhelming evidence compiled that a criminal will be found guilty.

Does this just magically change it so that two players now have this ungodly amount of power? Well, no. It only removes the trial portion that the entire playerbase was welcome to just sit and watch. If I had to pick what I'd rather the GMs doing with that same time, I'd rather go with a fun event or something. Not a trial that's a pain to put together, and the verdict is almost certain anyways by that time. Instead, the GMs will review the evidence compiled and make a decision whether it's sufficient or not to send someone to the island. I think faster turnarounds is a good thing for those playing criminal characters. It's not fun to have a character sit in the cells for months at a time, waiting for everything to magically line up.

This is a game after all. Some interesting stories going on, politics, backstabbing and everything else that makes this game fun to play. While from an IC perspective, a soldier could keep a bandit prisoner near indefinitely to punish them. I'd rather the solution that was more convenient to players and GMs alike that potentially opened up further opportunities. Maybe they can come back if they survive the next Culling?

Leave a comment:

• herdias
    replied
    Social justice Warrior

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    No idea what that means 12345

Leave a comment:

• Ryzen
    replied
    Originally posted by Kered View Post
    "

Again I have approached IG concerns through the proper channels, my frustration is, we just encouraged more bandits to break the law with a new life on austrilla, which may or may not be death or it may be life. But I see it as this, the senate decree was sponsored by people who want Iridine to be weaker, and go from there.

Iridinian SJW's.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    "- The Island seems to be a desired sentence, rather than a deterrent. Did the Senate consider this will just encourage more bandits to misbehave rather than less?"

"it has been an arguably necessary stretch for characters to justify "some bandits (NPCs) can be killed, beheaded, piked by anyone, but some (PCs) can't, and you'll get in trouble for hunting those." Less of that, and more IG consistency would be go a long way, especially for characters like Methodios, and many other characters who want to believe in the Senate/system."

This is me, not the change occly, I get it automation is the way to go, x amount of lawmakers x hours x law breakers = never going ot happen.

Again I have approached IG concerns through the proper channels, my frustration is, we just encouraged more bandits to break the law with a new life on austrilla, which may or may not be death or it may be life. But I see it as this, the senate decree was sponsored by people who want Iridine to be weaker, and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Ryzen
    replied
    I don't really see the big deal why some people are angry about it. There's still plenty of checks and balances via the staff and the system largely remains the same. What really eats me is how people behave when it comes to criminality, or confrontations with others, and the consequences that may occur.

Gone are the days where people were actually legitimately scared of something, where shivers would run through your spine from being in the wrong area at the wrong time. I feel like now people think too much into the mechanics and how something can or cannot actually hurt them. The only real fear people have is 'gear fear' (fear of losing their items), and less of the potential IC consequences. Yes, we know someone cannot really hurt you much beyond breaking a bone, cutting your tongue out, or possibly actually getting a PK ticket after multiple, and I mean MULTIPLE confrontations. Where is the suspension of disbelief anymore? Do we simply lack imagination now? Do we know too much about the mechanics? If someone says "I'm gonna cut yer fingers off if you talk." Well, you know they can't actually do that... so do you care about their threat realistically? I'd say getting a tongue cut out is the worst thing another player can do to you on the initial confrontation (maybe those should be more regulated as well). This part may have sounded a little off-topic, but it's one of my major frustration with the games and kinda the source of how some people have been acting OOC'ly about this announcement, and how it kinda fell into a player quitting by being fed false information.

Now I'm seeing people saying that they'll just become a bandit and get a simple island vacation. I hope there's something a lot more than that. We don't really know the actual rules behind the banishment. Are those banished going to have to participate in the next culling? Will they be given an opportunity to win and restore their freedoms, or will they simply be obstacles for the contestants? Will they be killable?

Maybe the senate really is trying to push an agenda here and people are onto something. I think that'd actually be quite cool and another step forward for the game, but I think the focus of some of the anger is in the wrong place. I'd like to see some more details come out of this and see where it takes us.

I think some of y'all might be in for a shock when they get to Cullaiden and see what it's all about. Hope you like walking for hours on end.

Leave a comment:

• Elowynn
    replied
    The discrepancy between the new decree and what Mikeand posted is pretty glaring.

I don't think it's too much for players to ask that the gameworld makes sense - from legal, philosophical, principle-based viewpoints.

it has been an arguably necessary stretch for characters to justify "some bandits (NPCs) can be killed, beheaded, piked by anyone, but some (PCs) can't, and you'll get in trouble for hunting those." Less of that, and more IG consistency would be go a long way, especially for characters like Methodios, and many other characters who want to believe in the Senate/system.

I think a hard look at maintaining IG believability is pretty key when it comes to making a game like this last - and I think that's both a staff and player responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• mikeand
    replied
    It's all a plot to fire them! lol...

04-06-2014, 11:22 PM

For your reading pleasure....

Subject: From the Desk of Lucian Allende
    ---
    Celeres Illryia,

Recent events have been brought to my attention in the handling of the arrest
    and trial of the citizen Synodia Canius and the events leading up to and
    following. I must say that these reports are disturbing on many levels.
    While the fate of a criminal such as herself is beneath me, the way in which
    my assistants handle themselves and appear in the public eye is very much a
    concern of mine. As it appears, yourself and Assistant Steward Noraetis have
    openly conspired to defraud the republic by providing executable prisoners for
    games, regardless of how you must get them. This, I cannot overlook.

As of this moment, consider yourself relieved of your position as my
    assistant. The Senate has agreed to not file public charges as long as this
    incident is not publically flaunted to bring further attention unto this
    office and your transgressions.

Justice Lucian Allende

I'd be angry if it wasn't so hilariously ridiculous. What can you do - besides laugh - when you're accused of masterminding a death camp for criminals scheme?

Leave a comment:

• mikeand
    replied
    Can someone post the actual decree? I looked/asked around IG and couldn't find it to read, maybe I looked in the wrong places?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X