X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Slaves Law

I - Census

1- Sacer

The Slave Island system is based on an old iridinian tradition from the Era of Kings, maybe older, called the sacer esto “who belongs to God” or “Exiled” or “Banned”.

All the inhabitants of the Isle of Slaves are sacer (plur. sacri) whatever their standing was prior their exile meaning they lost all their rights regarding the Republic.

2- Governor

Due to the special statute of the Slave Island, the Governor is appointed by the Senate for life. He willingly accepts the exile and under no circumstances shall leave the Island unless summoned by the Senate. He can’t be a sacer since represents the Republic authority on the Island then keeps his standing.

3- Census

A census shall be conducted every year by the Governor or his Censor. The census will account for all Slave Island the sacri, establish their class, based on their contribution to the standing of the Island. The Elders shall be responsible of the census of their Tribe. The census shall be made during Palilia (Festival for Ereal of the Morning).

The Denizens: are a class of people that may participate in the ruling body of the Island. In order to qualify for such service, an individual must prove a significant contribution to the island public good [system soon to be determinated] or be granted by the Governor for life after a vote in the Council.

All members of the Governor’s staff on the island will be considered as denizens AND public property.

No prisoner of war will be granted denizenship. Unless proposed by the Governor, discussed at the Council and voted by the Comitia Tributa.

The Residents: Those failing to prove a significant contribution to the public island are the residents. These are not responsible for serving in the defense of the island nor part of the Comitia Tributa. They won’t have any kind of special treatment either. They can be killed without consequences.

Those who don’t submit to the census will be killed on sight.

II. Taxes and Civic Finance

1- Tributum

A tributum may be levied by the Council or the Governor in times of emergency. The tributum will consist of no more than the weight of the inhabitant in supply.

2- Island Treasury

The Island Treasury will be maintained at the Tower of the Governor, and shall be overseen by the Governor or one of his magistrates.

III. Assemblies and Legislation

1- Edict and Legislation

Any Edict or legislation must be initiated by the Govenor, discussed and debated among the Council of Elders, and then brought before the Comitia Tributa for a vote.

2- Council

A group of 5 denizens can declare to the Governor that they constitute a Tribe. One member of the Tribe will bear the title of Elder and sit at the Council of Elders. The Tribes are free in their way to designate their Elder. An Elder will be nominated for life.
    The Governor can refuse a candidate (no more than 3 times) and the Tribe will have to propose a new one to the next census. Until then, the Tribe won’t be represented at the council.

The first 10 Tribes will be formed with a minimum of 5 Denizens.
    The other 10 Tribes will be formed with a minimum of 10 Denizens.
    The last 10 Tribes will be formed with a minimum of 25 Denizens.

At every census, a Tribe will be considered disbanded if they are not composed of at least 5 members.

The Council shall be convened by the Governor.
    The Council of Elder shall serve to advise the Governor. The Council shall itself not possess lawmaking power.

3- Comitia Tributa (Assembly of the Tribes)

The people designed as denizens of the Island are by right member of the Comitia Tributa.
    The comitia tributa is responsible for the votes for new laws on the Island, proposed by the Governor and discussed at the Council of Elders.
    The assembly shall be convened by the Governor.

IV. Military Service

There is no proper military service on the Island.

The defense and law enforcement of the Slave Island will be assured by the Light Watch under the direct command of the Governor and shall particularly be dedicated to the kill on sight orders.
    Enlistment will be for life. Being a Watchman will automatically grant the standing of denizen.

Every Tribe will provide at least a fighter to the Light Watch.

V. Justice

Considering the sacer legal status, no real trial will be held on the island.

All individual contentious within a Tribe shall be resolved by the Tribe.

Contentious between Tribes shall be resolved with duels by Ereal’s will:

The rules formalizing the duel concern:
    • its limits, defined within a closed field, a circle most of the time;
    • its officialization, overseen by the Governor or a designated representative;
    • its solemn character, by ceremonial and religious practices;
    • its impartiality, by the control of the two adversaries and the equitable designation of the places of each of them;
    • the weapons allowed;
    • the designation of a substitute fighter, a Champion, in the event that one of the persons concerned could not fight.

Different type of duels:
    • The standard duel will be until one man is so severely wounded as to be physically unable to continue the duel. On both parties agreement, a duel can be to death.
    • To the death, in which case there would be no satisfaction until one party is dead.

Tribes can declare a war to another Tribe. An Elder can call for an exitium during a Council. Due to the development of the island higher prerogative, children and pregnant women will be preserved and will be welcomed in a new Tribe or create their own if the census pre-requisit allows it.

VI. Criminal Acts

Considering the census, no resident will be considered as a crime victim.

1. Property and Possession Crimes

Considering the sacri standing, they have no proper right of ownership out of what inhabitants can carry.

Considering the Governor’s staff and assistants are considered public property,

2. Harassment and Violence

Considering the sacri standing,
    All individual contentious within a Tribe will be solved within the Tribe.
    Crimes committed by a denizen from another Tribe:

Harassment. Public Aggression. Minor Assault, Major Assault, Kidnapping and confinement will fall under the standard duel, overseen by the Governor or his representative.

Attempted Murder (Assault resulting in the victim falling unconscious and bleeding or otherwise nearing death) and Murder of a sacer will be considered as blood crimes and will fall under the duel to the death, overseen by the Governor or his representative.

Assault of an Official Kill on sight orders shall be granted by the Governor unless the said official request a duel (standard or to death).
    Murder of an Official Kill on sight orders shall be granted by the Governor.

3. Public Disturbance and Fraud

Interfering with an Official. Bribery. Conspiracy to Commit a Crime against the Island. Impersonation of an official.
    Those crimes will be dealt with by the Light Watch on behalf of the Governor.

Abuse of the Public Trust will be a major crime. Kill on sight orders shall be granted by the Governor.
    This crime will be dealt with by the Light Watch on behalf of the Governor.

4. Heresy

Blasphemous Worship. Use of Outlawed Magics (Minor). Use of Outlawed Magics (Major). Blasphemous Propaganda.
    Those crimes will be dealt with by the Light Watch.

5.Crimes Against the Isle

Treason to the Island: There must be a delibrate intent to cause harm to the Island itself. Kill on sight orders shall be granted by the Governor. This crime can be extended to an entire Tribe.

Enemy of the Island: Any sacer guilty of repeatedly and severely targeting official, Light Watch or mercantile operations. Any sacer guilty of attacking villages, communities, their surrounding areas and their residents repeatedly and violently out of the duels and the exitium. Must prove that actions go beyond simple banditry and that there is an intent to disrupt the lawful, economic or official strength of the Republic in a given area, or in the Island at large. Crimes may be violent or political in nature. Kill on sight orders shall be be granted by the Governor. This crime can be extended to an entire Tribe if discussed at the Council.

Forgery of the census: Any Elder that will provide a false census of his Tribe with the will to oversize his Tribe or hide inhabitants will be sentenced to death by the Governor or his Censor.

VII. Magistracies

Governor

The Governor shall be vested with diverse powers to rule their area of responsibility.

1. Justice
    The Governor shall, within his area, be responsible for the administration of law and justice. He may invite Foreign Justices to oversee trials or, in the absence of a Foreign Justice, ajudicate these cases himself. He shall be responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a law enforcement force.
    The Governor has absolute authority under the Senate to impose laws affecting his area of responsibility. These laws may not contravene the basic foundations of the Republic of Iridine's laws. In some cases, Governor is bound by treaty obligations to consult with local authority before imposing edicts upon their domain.

2. Security
    The Governor shall be the guarantors of their area's safety. He is expected to request assistance from the Legions as needed to handle threats to the safety of their residents. As needed, the Governor shall have the authority to levy civilian militias. These militias shall have no authority to muster outside of the Governor's area, and may be considered to be in insurrection if they do. These militias must, at the order of a Tribune of the Legio, disband immediately and lay down their arms. Failure to do so shall amount to insurrection, including charges of Treason for the Governor who vested the rebellious militia with official sanction.

3. Maintenance
    The Governor shall be responsible for the stewardship of their areas, including civic maintenance, public health, public morale, and official records.

4. Development
    The Governor shall be the driving force behind the development of their area. The Governor is encouraged to increase trade, revenue, and the population through public works and private development.

5. Other Magistracies
    The Governor may create and appoint any assistant to help him in his task. He may ask for a vote to the Council for elections. He may ask for a vote to the Comitia Tributa for elections.
    A pontential list but not limited:
    • Censor: The censor will census the island people every year.
    • Questor: The questor will oversee the supplies stocks.
    • Master of Duels: The Master of Duels will oversee the duels and their record.
    • Magister: The magister will oversee the island education.
    • Venator: the venator will oversee the food supply chain.

VIII. Marriage, Inheritance and Funerals

In abscence of a representative of the Cult of Ereal, the Governor, guardian of the public moral, shall oversee the orthodoxy of the religious practice.

The sacri shall granted the right to get married by Ereal’s Cult ways.
    A sacri shall not have inheritance considering they don’t have the right of ownership.
    Funerals will be performed with Ereal’s Cult ways.

IX. Commerce

There will be no monetary system on the island, bartering will be authorized.
    The Governor will oversee all supplies that will be imported and exported from the Isle of Slaves

X. Debt

Extended debt regarding the Governor’s Treasure will be gradually punished.

XI. Punishment

Public Crimes shall be punished largely at the Governor’s discretion. Basic punishment will be death but can include and not limited to:
    • public beatings or lashings
    • public duties

XII. Building and Civic Maintenance

The Governor shall be responsible for the stewardship of their areas, including civic maintenance, public health, public morale, and official records.
    A list of public building will be defined and updated with the Island development.

Comment

Is anyone going to the island going to read these, much less follow?

Comment

The people who aren’t prisoners
        "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Soon as I get dropped off...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C217&FORM=VIRE

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
            Just make yourself governor... I mean who is going to enforce these laws if the strongest character there is not onside.
            Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

People who want to try and make something of the island will read and follow these. People out for a free VC package will just break the rules as soon as the ship lands most likely.
              I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
              Steven Hawkings

Comment

Originally posted by isgrimnur View Post
                People who want to try and make something of the island will read and follow these. People out for a free VC package will just break the rules as soon as the ship lands most likely.
                If you take few minutes to analyse the system, it was designed to keep a high level of pvp and the census will be the tool to achieve that.

1- Those who want to follow the system and build last long-term roleplay/storylines, entirely PC dependant and in a hardcore mode because that's what it is supposed to be. They will be the denizens.

2- Those who will follow the lawless island opportunity will be out of the system and do as they want.

I'll keep the census updated, that way people will know what they can expect at the first sight, it will be more clear to everyone and create less frustration. It is a basic system and if you read it carefully, there are many ways to have it altered/improved.

I wanted this system very Republic compatible so I followed the XII Tables structure in order to cover all the aspects as well as possible and have a complete setting. Is it perfect? No. Will it be fully operational tomorrow? I doubt it, But it will set goals to achieve for all the characters on the island.

I always considered patricians as storylines catalysts or mini-SG and this is an unexpected opportunity to contribute a last time with this character.

Originally posted by Felisin View Post

Just make yourself governor... I mean who is going to enforce these laws if the strongest character there is not onside.
                This is of course the first scenario I considered. I am ready to face it.

Comment

This is great. Looking forward to the new adventures.
                  Originally posted by urek23
                  On a scale from spawning-monsters-is-an-event to three-armors-fit-in-a-sack-on-purpose, how useless am I?

Fixed12345

Comment

Originally posted by House Tyanensis View Post

This is of course the first scenario I considered. I am ready to face it.
                    I wouldnt mind if the staff helped you in the event someone did this. Its worth letting this thrive.

Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Hoping for success
                      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Ship wasn't around to be boarded for the times that the even schedule stated. Is there a way the GMs can let us 'tag' a character to be found in ships stowage on the island?

Comment

Originally posted by Anatalya View Post
                          Ship wasn't around to be boarded for the times that the even schedule stated. Is there a way the GMs can let us 'tag' a character to be found in ships stowage on the island?
                          Had a similar experience. Thimis Nelsor came onto thoughts at about 8PM Sunday and said the ship was about to dock and would be available to board for the next 4 days. I had to log off that night because I was visiting family for the holiday. Came back at 9AM Monday (~2 IG days later), and it was gone. Unfortunate that the boarding opportunity was not open a bit longer - seems like at most the ship was available for 12 hours overnight US time on the Memorial Day holiday.

Comment

I believe it left early due to the Hurricane headed for the East Coast and there was an announcement about it.

Comment

Side note: this island is ridiculously huge and impossible to navigate. Nothing is visible by scanning, and trying to find anything is literally running around a forest blindly. Extremely frustrating.
                              Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X