Slicing from a person falling asleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing from a person falling asleep

Is it possible to slice a sack off of someone falling asleep? In the past, I know Scott stated that players were intended to be vulnerable when falling asleep. Has this changed?
    Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Last i checked, not able to do it. They just disappeared.
    TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
    Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
    Originally posted by Bucaria
    The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

That's really crappy if it's true. Really limits pickpocketing.

Comment

yeah, because to hell with giving people a chance to catch you, get them while they're not even in game anymore. Can't id you then.

Comment

Well, if they sleep somewhere unsecure without a paenula or sagum, doesn't it make sense to be vulnerable? Right now, it's the only way to steal from someone without a 100% guarantee of a warrant.

Comment

I remember waking up ko once after sleeping at the message office. Apparently it doesn't take long to berserk ko someone before they fall asleep. I think they ghost now though if you try to attack them.

Comment

so, basically you're complaining that there's no way to 100% steal from anyone with no risk to yourself, outside of getting those people who aren't even in game.... have you tried... not being a blatant thief, and getting really good at it on npcs, before you attempt it on a person, who will already know you're a thief, so will of course blame you? There's tons of thieves who aren't known as a thief who could rob someone without getting idedů just gotta be a better thief. (and not get caught)

Comment

Well, I'm not complaining, I'm asking a question and expressing an opinion. But to your point, there are risks, namely in someone else wandering through and catching you. I'm a big fan of allowing the stupid to suffer for their mistakes (and sleeping somewhere unprotected without the simple and omnipresent defense of a sagum or paenula IS stupid). Let me turn it around in you...why should foolish peoplebe protected? Why should a person who can't be bothered to take minimal precautions be 100% safe from the consequences of that stupidity?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                  so, basically you're complaining that there's no way to 100% steal from anyone with no risk to yourself, outside of getting those people who aren't even in game.... have you tried... not being a blatant thief, and getting really good at it on npcs, before you attempt it on a person, who will already know you're a thief, so will of course blame you? There's tons of thieves who aren't known as a thief who could rob someone without getting ided… just gotta be a better thief. (and not get caught)
                  I really don't know where you're getting this idea from. His complaint isn't that he can't get away scott free, it's that there's items that guarantee a 100% chance you won't be stolen from (By a pickpocket). This leaves AFK people and noobies, who aren't wearing the catch all item if you can find either and even choose to subject yourself to the PvP aspect of it. No amount of skills in all of TEC is going to get you past a sagum. Period.

There's no 'got to be a better thief' about it. You want to be the best PvP thief? Learn combat and go bandit. You're not gonna do it with PP. I'd really love it if this weren't the case, too.
                  Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                  I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                  Originally posted by Phwoar
                  Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                  Originally posted by Elowynn
                  Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Right now, it's the only way to steal from someone without a 100% guarantee of a warrant.
                    That's what I'm commenting on.

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
                      why should foolish peoplebe protected? Why should a person who can't be bothered to take minimal precautions be 100% safe from the consequences of that stupidity?
                      As long as they're not a blue name and wouldn't know better, they shouldn't, rob them blind, it's a text game, with fictional items that can be replaced, so, go ahead, rob them till they cry, in game, as long as you don't harass them with it, thus turning it into griefing over playing. My commentary wasn't about you robbing people, not at all, it's about you saying it's really crappy that you can't rob someone who's not even there to play along. I'd be for it, if sleeping didn't log you out till you fell asleep, because then you could notice, and deal with it later. But sometimes, you just gotta go, or your internet fails, or any number of real life things, only to log in dead, or naked.

Comment

I don't mind not being able to steal or attack sleeping people. Sometimes life happens and you've no choice but to log out in a less than optimal situation. However, please make the PP skills useful in PvP. It's a PvP skillset that doesn't get a bonus from from increased noncom SP gain, make it worth having the skills.

Comment

Fair enough, I guess it's a little bit of a hyperbolic statement, but how much really? In order to get away with it scott free, you'd have to be hiding, and you'd have to be doing it somewhere someone is going to not only walk through but stop WITH a crowd. You need a minimum of a 15 second window, assuming everything goes right, to pull off any one stealing move and get away without being noticed. You then need them to be without sagum / paenula. This is without glancing, mind you, that's another 5 seconds, so who knows what you're going to be able to get, if anything. You can't look. They'll see you do it.

If you mess up the first part, and they keep walking through or leave before you retreat, they'll notice they're approached and you go to jail. If you fail any of those steps (street, stealing move, fade) they'll notice you were up to something fishy, and you'll probably go to jail. It's not 100% guaranteed, but saying it's 80%+ is a completely reasonable estimate.

I don't think PP is a PvP skillset, honestly. It may have been designed that way initially. But it's hard to make a case, with the years of mechanical shielding against that very thing, that that is what the GM's have in mind for it. the PvP aspect feels like little more than a formality at this point to justify it not receiving non-com SP.
                          I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                          Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?

Comment

they removed a zero success from non combat skills years ago, they don't want you to have a hundred percent chance at anything, so 80% is pretty darn good for what is essentially taking other people's stuff, and not getting caught. Especially when you have a what? 95-99% chance of getting the stuff in the first place, as long as they're not protecting themselves? (been a long time since I rolled a thief)

Comment

80%+ chance of failure, not success. And that's with less than 1% of all interactions actually meeting the factors necessary to even attempt it silently. We're talking about a fractional margin of success, here. I feel like it's fair to say I'm being conservative, too.

I also don't see a problem with a scenario in which you do everything flawlessly, and therefore succeed as a consequence. That's kind of like watching someone pitch a perfect game for 9 innings, and then on the last pitch declaring that it shouldn't be rewarded because there's a 95% chance he was going to get it anyways.

You mean it's true?

Comment

Working...
                              X