No announcement yet.

Slicing from a person falling asleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes when I read about how hard it is to be a thief or a bandit, I feel like I must be playing a completely different game. I guess to grass is always greener...
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
    A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

It's actually really easy to be a thief when focusing on PvE. Monotonous, grindy, and almost completely absent of any kind of scaling, but definitely easy. Honestly, it's probably TOO easy, to the point where a thief who is 100/50 slice makes as much and MORE than someone with 2000 ranks across SS/setups/PP. The former makes Much, much more if the latter is using his silent skills.
      Last edited by Rupert; 07-12-2018, 05:59 AM.
      Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
      I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
      Originally posted by Phwoar
      Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
      Originally posted by Elowynn
      Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
        It's actually really easy to be a thief when focusing on PvE. Monotonous, grindy, and almost completely absent of any kind of scaling, but definitely easy. Honestly, it's probably TOO easy, to the point where a thief who is 100/50 slice makes as much and MORE than someone with 2000 ranks across SS/setups/PP. Much, much less if the latter is using his silent skills.
        I would love to see a less easy but more lucrative alternative than the current options. Have a guarded villa that requires high levels of sneaking to rob. Have marks in the streets that are 'alert' and require two thieves to work together to successfully lift/slice from. Things of that nature really. Thievery and subterfuge could use some love instead of being nerfed, particularly when it has so much potential to be an awesome skillset.
        Got Questions? We've got answers!
        Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
        Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
        Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

Originally posted by Baleron View Post

I would love to see a less easy but more lucrative alternative than the current options. Have a guarded villa that requires high levels of sneaking to rob. Have marks in the streets that are 'alert' and require two thieves to work together to successfully lift/slice from. Things of that nature really. Thievery and subterfuge could use some love instead of being nerfed, particularly when it has so much potential to be an awesome skillset.
          Absolutely. Combine this with a reward system, like face covers for doing extra well there, and you've the perfect connector between mid tier pve and end game pvp. You've got to have all your skills up, and know how to use all of them flawlessly, then you'll have a chance to succeed in this guarded location and either directly steal a cover, or earn rep to get a cover. This could be tied in with any number of orgs:

Sneak into constable HQ and replace criminal history scroll with clean one or steal a cover out of the constable storage room (rep with thieves guild via known harbor NPC's - hood)
          Sneak into Cineran camp and steal scout notes/lift weapons (Rep in franlius - faceplate)
          Sneak into BC/Shrike buildings and steal something or spray graffiti/gang markings deep in gang territory (Rep for competing gang - mask)

Along the lines of your other suggestions:
          Patricians should always be guarded when pulled out of the crowd. You'd need to distract or disarm the guard to get to the patrician

Comment

I think the skill sets are fine how they are.
            TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
            Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
            Originally posted by Bucaria
            The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeand View Post
              I think the skill sets are fine how they are.
              Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree that the skillsets themselves are quite alright. We just lack a decent 'hunting ground' to utilize them in.

There's no need to spook anyone. There's no need to hide or sneak around. Really to be a thief, all you need is pickpocketing. The rest is just rp fluff at the moment. That's what I want changed. Give me a guarded target to make ground/street approach necessary. Give me a paranoid target that requires spooking before he can be stolen from. Give me targets of opportunity that have better rewards than usual at the cost of much higher risk of failure or of getting caught. Place these targets in the forums, or on a route to the bank, or somewhere that requires me to take a real risk with my thief but make it worth that risk.
              Got Questions? We've got answers!
              Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
              Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
              Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

Would need to open the moves up to the public if they did all that. Since most aren't taught by a freely available trainer.
                TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
                Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
                Originally posted by Bucaria
                The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

There are 5 NPC trainers in the game that I know of off the top of my head. The skills are readily available to nearly anyone willing to go for them. The reason they aren't taught at Gilvens, is because Gilven would be arrested if he publicly taught people how to rob others of their belongings.

It's probably harder to find the SS trainers in the steps.

But I do agree with Mikeand's sentiment. I'd rather have it how it is now than made harder to do exactly the same thing, or made completely useless.
                  I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                  Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
                    There are 5 NPC trainers in the game that I know of off the top of my head. The skills are readily available to nearly anyone willing to go for them. The reason they aren't taught at Gilvens, is because Gilven would be arrested if he publicly taught people how to rob others of their belongings.

It's probably harder to find the SS trainers in the steps.

But I do agree with Mikeand's sentiment. I'd rather have it how it is now than made harder to do exactly the same thing, or made completely useless.
                    i think what hes referring to are the 'secret' skills, i can think of a couple of trainers and none teach them
                    Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
                    Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

You guys have me beat by four trainers, but then again, the one I do know, doesn't show that he teaches if you don't already know, so I guess the others are like that too. Like I said, been a LONG time since I rolled a thief.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdark View Post

i think what hes referring to are the 'secret' skills, i can think of a couple of trainers and none teach them
                        all 5 that I know of teach 'secret' skills, not to mention the dozens of alt thieves who can readily teach you. Remember, ALL skills but what you start with are technically 'secret'. I don't know if I would call it that though, I don't refer to Pardellian as 'secret', and it's FAR more exclusive than thieving skillsets.

You mean it's true?

Comment

The only trainer I know is Gnaarian, and he doesn't teach Slice Sack, Knife Lift, or Sword Lift. Not sure there's any NPC who does.
                          Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

I just don't see how you could make the skills any more available than they are now short of dropping a PP/SS/Setups trainer at the bank. They are so readily available, you could ask 95% of the constables for lessons. And I really don't know what good it would do. He'd probably never get used by anyone but blatant thieves, and then the quiet thieves would just learn from the blatant ones.. exactly how it currently happens. He'd get staked out by vigalante's, constables would regularly patrol it... Exactly how Gnaarian was treated when he was first released.

interacting with other thieves is a positive for PP, it's not a negative. I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of that. That's really what we're talking about here, getting rid of the middle man so you don't have to interact with people. It's the loner thief who thinks everything is ruined when he get caught that stops playing, not the Ilkilyn's and the Palium's.

You mean it's true?

Comment

Rupert, try not to out people in the forums. Edit your post to make it less personal, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Baleron View Post

The rest is just rp fluff at the moment. That's what I want changed. Give me a guarded target to make ground/street approach necessary.
                                Setups is used more in combat then in thievery. lol

Just had a blood spar with someone earlier today, and unless I missed it, he street approached me. I was confused when I couldn't do a cslash =(

Comment

Working...
                                X