Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should bandit EoTRs be able to get a VC after death?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ariden View Post
    If you gonna change the way you give out VC packages then you should probably take into consideration alts that of been in active for years and years. Maybe base it off of ranks as well as time.

I think you all make good points and if you lose a character either by @ending him, Justice pk, @chop or any other way you should get a VC. After all a VC doesnít break the game and it allows people the opportunity to end their characters the way the want and also reward them for playing the game. So they keep playing.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner! Pretty sure someone ending in this situation was out of frustration. What's the point of keeping the character alive for an execution or whatever if there's no reward for all the RP when any other character not an EOTR would be immediately handed a VC? Also, it might more sense for the character to slit his wrists than to be public executed. That is still RP, even if it's not as gratifying for others.
    Last edited by Kjel; 10-02-2018, 07:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
    <Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Fidellus whispers something to Lucarnes.
    Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

A woman in a slinky red nightgown flirts to you, "Bears are repulsive."

Comment

And in light of it, I think there would be a part of me that would be slightly jealous if he received a VC character. My main thoughts on EOTR characters and VCs are simple--the FIRST EOTR should receive a VC. If you take that VC and make a virtually identical character and go off to become an EOTR again... well... I don't think you really deserve a second one. While I'm probably pretty far removed from the best at it around here, I try very hard to make my new main character different from the previous iterations and I think we should all at least make an effort to do that.

That being said, my jealousy aside, I think there absolutely should definitely be a VC character awarded in this instance. That was a character that added a lot to the gameworld--and a hell of a lot more than someone's alt who sat off to the side for the last 9 years and then was only around for a month before getting @chopped into auto-receiving a nice VC package. Not saying that I want less people to receive VC packages, I think they should be given out like candy. Starting out is difficult and tedious in this game.
      Originally posted by Marren
      YOU CAN'T HIDE CRAZY WITH MAKEUP, I PROMISE YOU.

Comment

Case by case is probably something GMs want to absolutely avoid. This opens a can of worms of "why him and not me?" Gotta say, even I'll be very sympathetic to the GMs responsible for dealing with that inevitable quagmire.

My understanding of the "one justice PK per account" rule was to protect the gameworld from a spam of one-note griefer RP. "Characters" that suddenly flipped a switch in their heads and run around yelling Ravan told 'em to do it, giving the middle finger to constables, etc...this doesn't add much of anything to the gameworld. There's been so, so, so many of those, from accounts being awarded even one VC for justice PKs. You can say "but that's their job" but plainly, it ain't much fun for Legio or constables to chase those people around. That said, I've been a huge proponent of bandit RP on these forums. I do not mean in any way to denigrate the effort that goes into that, or the danger element it adds to the gameworld which I think is sorely necessary. Still, protecting the gameworld from griefer RP is important.

3-5 years is far too short. This is about how long it takes me to script an alt into combat viability. For me to be able to get a nice VC package for turning my character into an no-dimensional anarchist... doesn't seem like it'll have a positive impact to overall RP in this community. If Justice PKs are "the easy" (3-5 year cooldown easy) way to get VCs, we will see FAR more bad bandit RP than good.

Personally? I think REGULAR PKs should be FAR more frequent. I understand the GM frustration (which I feel, too) that characters will stretch and badger some pretty lame RP to try to kill themselves for that sweet, sweet VC package. But you know what? I don't think getting killed should be that hard. Heck, I think characters should die from colds. I think there should be FAR more GM/event PKs for people on @chop. More boat voyages to the island. People wanna die, get a VC - let them. Character turnover is good for the gameworld.

What about a multi-year cooldown on ENDing yourself for a VC? 5 years? That way, ANY player can choose to make a huge event out of their own death, RP dying on their deathbed to a wound, catch syphillis and hack to death, go out in blazing glory on the Franlius docks... or die quietly in an alley somewhere, and start over, with a VC. A 5 year cooldown for this seems like a reasonably amount of time, no? And it protects the gameworld/lawkeepers from having to deal with phoned-in bad guy RP trying to get in on a Justice PK.

3-5 year cooldowns for Justice PKs invites every account who is tired of their character to bandit with them, every 3-5 years. Plz, no. A 5-year cooldown for anyone to END themselves in any way they like saves the gameworld from dealing with the 3-5 year "bandit" waves. VCs for ENDing means you can still bandit - you can die of old age - you can catch the chickenpox. You can go out any way you like. Variety is the flavor of life.

Comment

I agree about the waves of grief era. Iím thinking in this case H may get the exceptional bad dancer award. Good luck.
          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

If you are a current vet character as the result of a justice pk(enemy of the republic) then no vc for you, regardless of how well you played, or how long.
            If you are NOT a current vet character as the result of a justice pk, and you didn't end yourself, then you'll get one.
            If you do not qualify, length of play time doesn't suddenly make you qualify. Just play another character, and have that character die in a method that qualifies.

You do qualify for a vc if you get enemy of the republic again, as long as it's not with a vet character rewarded for a justice pk. IE, new character not vc, becomes bandit again. Or justice pk vc dies from some other method than justice pk, and THAT vc, ie character 3, becomes justice pk, qualifies.

Comment

It's funny we are talking about 5 years RL for a text based game. Anyhow... Even if the player enjoys banditry, so what? Some players only play constables or Legio, so what's wrong with a guy enjoying being the bad guy? Lastly, we have a small player base. We can't even get 100 people online at the same time. If our numbers were greater, I'd think a one-size-fits-all might be necessary. But we aren't there so I think ironclad rules are kind of pointless. Especially when this isn't a throw away character who foiled Legio at every turn for years.

<Tivan thinks aloud: No offense, I'd rather take it from behind by an eyeless humanoid from twilight...guess I'll get them myself.>

Haggard squeaks to MindThrasher, "My only regret about lanc dying...is that Kjel was at the toga.."

Carefully reading his lips, you make out the words "I liked it, but I have a thing for blondes in catholic school girl skirts

Comment

Because the rules are there for a reason. There's nothing stopping him from getting a VC, if he qualifies, if he gets all his characters justice pked, then he doesn't qualify. All that's really needed is ONE character to break the chain... so every other character, don't get justice pked, and you can keep getting vcs.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                  Because the rules are there for a reason. There's nothing stopping him from getting a VC, if he qualifies, if he gets all his characters justice pked, then he doesn't qualify. All that's really needed is ONE character to break the chain... so every other character, don't get justice pked, and you can keep getting vcs.
                  I get that. But this is TEC, where people play a text game for 20 years of their life and still, despite the existence of 32 bit gaming, continue to pour YEARS into a text character. In no other game would you talk about a five year wait before an in-game reward. Seriously, think about that for a minute.

Comment

Rules can be changed this game has changed over the years

Comment

Side question. If I have a VC8 character that I have for 1 year, then he's killed in a GM event, do I get a VC1 character credit or a VC9 character credit?
                      Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Level up !

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
                          Side question. If I have a VC8 character that I have for 1 year, then he's killed in a GM event, do I get a VC1 character credit or a VC9 character credit?
                          Kered is muy correct. GMs have said that the VC calculation for this character starts at the V8, then the +1 year gets added on = VC9. Woots!

Comment

That's awesome. And the calculations for rps spent on anything but gsp count as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
                              That's awesome. And the calculations for rps spent on anything but gsp count as well?
                              Nein, mi amigo.

*The package offered will be based off character age. (from the time of creation until the time of death).
                              *One month will be added to this age for every 250 Role Points spent on the character. (RPs counted are those directly spent on the character itself [description changes, stat increases, etc], not any spent on items, events or other.)
                              *The total number of months credited will be rounded to the nearest year.
                              http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...47#post1412847

Comment

Okay, so buying new skill slots, stat increases would count. What about re ordering skill slots?

Comment

Working...
                                X